Votes: 1 50.0%
  • About forty.

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese

NOTE: video is blocked in the US.

So the theme is grand sounding, powerful ominous musical themes. Just to get a bit of discussion going and to hear a few suggestions, in your opinions some of the main themes I've left out.

I was expecting this to be some kind of thinly veiled attempt at self-promotion with a song by your own band at #1 but actually that wasn't a half bad list.

My #1 pick off the top of my head would've been this, for having not one but three amazing ominous motifs:

Reactions: Phylactery
I agree. Not a bad list actually.

You pimp that Dawn song a lot but it’s not even one of my favourites from Slaughtersun. I’ll have to give it a proper listen. Also, I love Dawn’s logo. One of my favourites.

I mean it's still a good song obviously (I don't think Dawn have a bad song.) But it's also probably the song that epitomizes most the flaws of Slaughtersun - too much repetition and not enough content to justify its length. On the other hand, it also stands out on Slaughtersun by having a different atmosphere to the rest of the album. It's far less aggressive and more typically black metal than the other songs. Dawn's riffcraft and ability to write narrative epics is far too strong to let that flaw ruin this album, however. They were just a lot more concise on Naer Solen... But as I've said previously, I have really come to appreciate this album more than ever over the past two years or so and consider it a flawed masterpiece.

"The Knell and the World" is the song that has fallen from grace most for me from this album. Was my initial favourite back when I didn't love this album as much as I do now. The first minute or so used to give me chills but not so much anymore. On RYM, there are a few reviews suggesting it's by far the best song. Perhaps it's the most accessible and least subtle, or perhaps I just listened to it too much. For me, it lacks any of the standout sections of my favourite songs from this album.

My two favourite moments are 2:10 - 3:30 in "Malediction Murder". Instant chills and shivers, and then those blasts come in it and becomes super fucking intense. They return to this at the end and it's just as great. "When it all crashes down, death is triumphant and wears its crown, and my works is done, suicidal law yet I have won". Fucking epic.

And 4:27 - 6:40 in "The Aphelion Deserts". The song suddenly becomes much darker, violent and intense during this section but simultaneously more epic and emotionally charged. It feels like everything previously has been building up this section and I think the song should have ended here actually. The return to the much less distinct and violent intro riff sounds almost juvenile compared to the genuinely intense, heart-pounding shit that came previously. The building tension has already been released, the emotional pay off achieved so what comes after is completely unnecessary imo. However, Dawn's mastery of dynamics like this is another reason why I simply can't write this album off, despite its flaws.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vegard Pompey
ugh I feel so dirty now...
well it's still "promotion" for my vid, but I mean if not on a metal forum how else could I display it.

Yeah that's pretty good material, but I mean it doesn't strike me as "ominous/powerful" like those other songs.