2005 hauling (1/2)

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
Finally I'm getting albums for 2005 to engross a hopefully great year.

Sabaton - "Primo Victoria": I can make a review for this one, but I believe the best review is GO FUCKING PURCHASE IT! Already hit the top of my top ten list, awsome stuff. All songs but the last are related to war, and with the exception of 'Purple Heart' all are related to battles WWII, Middle East, Vietnam. Ultra recommended.

Lana Lane - "Lady Macbeth": another eagerly awaited album and more after I was able to pre-review it as MP3 http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191833

But now the real McCoy (or Macbeth) is at hand, from Frontiers Record in a slipcase and with a bonus video track. Read my review (link) and be sure that now with it here I hadn't change a bit my view of it. This ain't metal, but is great symphonic rock. Oh yeah, TSO you will love it! :wave:

Also I got from 2003-2004:

Wonderland - "Follow Me/Eternally": well yes I'm a cheap sucker. Wonderland is an Italian metal band with overuse of keyboards (like Skylark, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, etc), is gay to the Nth degree and basically will make puke most hard metal fans. When I bought the debut "Wonderland" I thought they had a female vocalist and thus I was forgiving the vox, then I discover is a male o_O , nevertheless I enjoy the music. And as any decent cheap sucker I bought their second "Follow Me" in an also cheap version that came with a second CD the EP "Eternally".

Interestingly in this second album the band vox is less feminine (but still gayish :lol:), and the arrangements are a bit more between prog/power and neo-classical. It comes also with a horrible bonus track sung in Spanish, and even if it's not as bad as Taraxacum singing in Spanish, the song still is :yuk: .

The EP comes with 5 songs:
  • an edit version of a song that doesn't come in any other release from them :dopey:
  • an unreleased track, bad song
  • a supposed song taken from the "Follow Me" album, that doesn't come in the album actually :loco:
  • a Sword coven, 'Children Of Heaven' that sounds pretty interesting (and I'm sure the original sounds better)
  • a Savatage cover, 'Tonight He Grins Again', which guess what? Is the best song of the EP :Spin:
All and all this album delivers since for me is pop, I mean as a metalhead, this is what I can call pop and still tolerate it :D

wdiv said:
What's metal "genre" would Sabaton fall into? Never heard of 'em.

I would call them a beefed up, faster and more powerful manowar. Both because of the gruffer vocals and the fact that the music kicks way more ass!

In a way its pretty traditional but they still have a modern metal feel.
You can hear a few tracks form their home page:
http://www.sabaton.net/

They are in my top 10 of this year for sure. The album is killer!

Wyvern said:
Lana Lane - "Lady Macbeth": another eagerly awaited album and more after I was able to pre-review it as MP3 http://ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191833

But now the real McCoy (or Macbeth) is at hand, from Frontiers Record in a slipcase and with a bonus video track. Read my review (link) and be sure that now with it here I hadn't change a bit my view of it. This ain't metal, but is great symphonic rock. Oh yeah, TSO you will love it! :wave:
Oh yeah, I've had the cd for weeks now, Wyvern, and I absolutely love it. However, I didn't know there was a video on the disc! I'll have to see if it plays on my computer later. Quicktime and my system don't get along very well.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Oh yeah, I've had the cd for weeks now, Wyvern, and I absolutely love it. However, I didn't know there was a video on the disc! I'll have to see if it plays on my computer later. Quicktime and my system don't get along very well.

I have QT, but for some reason (most probably Bill Gates software) my system does not recognize the multimedia tracks like it used to do. So I can only play the music.

@ WDIV: Sabaton is awsome heavy power metal, but with power rightfully put in the moniker. The vocals are harsh which separates the band away from all the other Euro bands. Keyboards are used but not as prominently as in Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica or Rhapsody. They're not cheesy at all lyrically so I'll put them far from Manowar, Majesty or Cryonic Temple.
A band most definitively worth checking.

Wyvern said:
I have QT, but for some reason (most probably Bill Gates software) my system does not recognize the multimedia tracks like it used to do. So I can only play the music.
Amazing how there is so many conflicts between Apple and Microsoft, eh? It's frustrating because they're too busy competing with each other to make a universal system that everyone can enjoy, regardless of their system.

I got the Lana Lane video to work though! It was tricky. I couldn't access it through My Computer, only the album would play. I had to use Windows Explorer and the directory tree to find the QT video. It played fine on my system this time (last QT movie I tried locked my computer) but it may be because I recently had to install QT v.6 just to get the fucking Blackfield cd I bought to play on my system.

As for Sabaton, I downloaded a couple of their songs and it sounds pretty kick ass! I'm tempted to get it, but I'm going on the road in nine days and I can't risk it not arriving before I leave. :err: