albums to get stranded on an island with...

Occam's Razor

Andreas - LotFP
Feb 19, 2002
Ste-Adèle, Quebec
So to revive activity here a bit - and also because I am going to leave Germany behind on August 4 to move to Canada for at least one year - I was wondering which albums you would deem essential to take along on such a trip, given that the weight of your luggage is restricted. In this way, it is kind of a "You are shipwrecked - what music keeps you alive on a lonesome island? type of question...

I've been building an essential-100-records list of HM, given that if we were stranded on an island these days it'd be with some sort of digital music storage I think it's a reasonable amount. The reason I'm doing that however is to eventually lose all the extra music and just keep the 100 records but that's neither here nor there. Would you like me to post it?

Yes, please feel free to post it. I think you have to differentiate: some kind of "essentials" list does not include personal favorites which may be totally irrelevant for "a lesson in metal as a whole". For example, if I had to restrict my collection to 100 records, I would throw out most (if not all) Judas Priest records, but keep something like Satan's "Court in the Act" - to stay in England. I could live without "Number of the Beast" as well in favor of "Seventh Son".

Hm no my idea of essential is personally essential, not to teach anyone how HM happened. I'd be alone on the deserted island after all.

Working list:

01.The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting on Glass
02. Abstrakt Algebra - S/T
03. Absu - Tara
04. Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
05. Anacrusis - Manic Impressions (06 mix)
06. Atrox - Contentum
07. Autopsy - Torn from the Grave (one of the few cases where I'll allow a best of)
08. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
09. Bolt Thrower - For Those Once Loyal
10. Brocas Helm - Into Battle
11. Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
12. Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
13. Carnivore - S/T
14. Cirith Ungol - King of the Dead
15. Confessor - Unraveled
16. Coroner - Coroner (best of here too)
17. Dark Quarterer - S/T
18. Deaf Dealer - Journey Into Fear
19. Deathrow - Deception Ignored
20. Demilich - Nespithe
21. Depressive Age - First Depression
22. Diamond Head - Lightning to the Nations
23. Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
24. Esoteric - Subconscious Dissolution into the Continuum
25. Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
26. Fates Warning - Spectre Within
27. Fates Warning - Disconnected
(only exception to a 'single album by band' autistic rule)
28. Fleurety - Min Tid Skal Komme
29. Gorguts - Obscura
30. Hammers of Misfortune - The August Engine
31. Heavy Load - Death or Glory
32. Heir Apparent - Graceful Inheritance
33. Helloween - Helloween EP+Walls of Jericho
34. In The Woods... - HEart of the Ages
35. Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy
36. Jag Panzer - The Fourth Judgment
37. Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
38. Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
39. Kinetic Dissent - I Will Fight No More Forever
40. Kruiz - Kruiz-1
41. Lordian Guard - S/T
42. Manes - Vilosophe
43. Manilla Road - Spiral Castle (this was a tough choice)
44. Master's Hammer - Ritual
45. Maudlin Of The Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map (one record for me)
46. Mayfair - Behind
47. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
48. Mekong Delta - Dances Of Death
49. Memory Garden - Tides + Forever EP
50. Mercyful Fate - Melissa

phew.

51. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
52. Moahni Moahna - Why?
53. Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
54. Morgion - Solinari
55. My Dying Bride - Trinity
56. Negura Bunget - OM
57. Nevermore - The Politics Of Ecstasy
58. Nigro Mantia - Poetry of Subculture
59. Omen - Battle Cry
60. Orphaned Land - Mabool
61. Psychotic Waltz - A Social Grace
62. Riot - Thundersteel
63. Root - The Black Seal (or 'Temple...' difficult to say right now)
64. Rosicrucian - Much About Nothing
65. Rotting Christ - Passage To Arcturo
66. Sabbat - Dreamweaver
67. Sacred Blade - Of The Sun + Moon
68. Saviour Machine - I
69. Scald - Will of the Gods is Great Power
70. Sieges Even - Life Cycle
71. Sigh - Hail Horror Hail
72. Skepticism - Lead and Aether
73. Slauter Xstroyes - Winterkill
74. Spectral Incursion - S/T
75. Spiral Architect - A Skeptic's Universe
76. Tiamat - Astral Sleep
78. Torchure - The Essence
79. Tyrant - Too Late to Pray
80. Unholy - Second Ring of Power
81. Ved Buens Ende - Written In Waters
82. Veni Domine - Spiritual Wasteland
83. Virgin Steele - Invictus
84. The Vision Bleak - Carpathia
85. Voivod - Nothingface
86. Warlord - ...And The Cannons of Destruction Have Began (best of here too, come on)
87. Warning - Watching From A Distance
88. Watchtower - Control and Resistance
89. Weakling - Dead As Dreams

That's it thus far. I have listened to much, much HM and this is the essential collection for me as of right now. I could survive on these. These records are all tested with extensive listening, I didn't pick them up 2 months ago and am now going on the internet to rant to their praises. All reward deeper listens and everything. However I will say that I have an emotional connection with a few of them that outweighs their quality as they were the 'right record at the right time' when I first listened to them as a teenager. Contenders for the last spots include: Amorphis - Tuonela, Xerxes - Beyond My Imagination, Windham Hell - Reflective Depths Imbibe and 2 or 3 records more that I am forgetting right now.

Nice list. I can also say that I have listened to way too much metal maybe, but at least I can say that judging from your list, I have not missed anything, as I have heard all these albums and can appreciate (or understand what you appreciate about them) their qualities. It is funny you mention Abstrakt Algebra - I prefer any Candlemass- and this AA-album over the stuff Edling has done with the monk on vocals (maybe the die hards crucify me for that, but I die hard as well... :)). I would even go as far as to say that "Dactylis Glomerata and the recently issued original version (Abstrakt Algebra II) are my faves from the Candlemass universe.

Xerxes...whew, who would have thought that anybody still remembers this band?

I'm sure Xerxes would be happy to hear that we do.

I don't know about having not missed anything, though. As you've probably noted most of the records in my list are old (Negura Bunget I think is the newest entry?). This is because I do not trust to put a record in the list that I am not certain about in terms of longevity. Therefore there are about 5-10 records that I am debating putting in the list that I've got recently and I'll only know if I will a couple of years from now. Stuff like Civil Defiance - Fishers for Souls and Frantic Bleep and Pax Cecillia and and and.

Candlemass are one of my favorite bands on the life-altering strength of Epicus. So I can say this pretty certainly: EDM was the product of 4-5 years of Edling inspiration and constant reworking, in Nemesis, in early Candlemass. When he went in to do these songs with the god that is Johan Langquist, he knew *exactly* what he wanted to get done, there was no messing about. Every successive record after that is simply not the product of such inspiration, such constant work and *desire* to be something amazing. Nightfall starts off so strong with Well of Souls you' think it was (and many did), but it really isn't. You can make an extremely strong best-of between Nightfall and Ancient Dreams and I often do make such a playlist when I feel like listening to Messiah-era Candlemass. But any of these two records on their own is weaker than even 'Tales of Creation' which at least has libretto supporting it. You can feel the difference in potency when you hear Messiah reproducing Lanquist material in 'Under the Oak'. It simply doesn't work, it's too cold, too far away. "Give me a sign" Messiah dictates and it is really meaningless.

Oh yes, Frantic Bleep... The curse of being on Earache. That was probably the most inappropriate label to release an album like "Fluctuadmission". They got swept under the rug pretty quickly without anybody noticing.

The thing about Candlemass with me is similar to the issue I got with Maiden: Messiah has sung all the hits, but there is so much material that is very strong but stands in the second line - just as if Maiden would ever play things like "To Tame A Land" or "Back In The Village" live. All that cult-thing about Messiah (the robe and his iffy behavior on stage)... it never worked out for me.

I think Frantic Bleep are still active, though. Their album on Earache was called "The Sense Apparatus". Fluctadmission was a demo with a stronger technothrash influence than the album.

Yeah not interested in the 'lol looks like a monk!' Messiah thing either.

Indeed, I meant "The Sense Apparatus", but it was the demo that drew my attention to them - thence the confusion.

The most stupid thing Messiah kept doing on stage in Germany was stressing that he is a "Doomkopf", which means "doomhead", but is phonetically identical with the German word "Dummkopf" - meaning a stupid person, a dork. Imagine Rob Lowe doing that...:lol:

Actually Rob Lowe had a pretty ridiculous stage presence with Candlemass also. His mannerisms conveyed a mocking of the material for me although I'm sure it wasn't the intended effect.

I saw him with Solitude a couple of times, and rolling his eyeballs into the back of his skull was definitely no more spooky when he cut and bleached his hair :lol:.

Apart from that, your taste seems to be pretty much in accordance with mine - who else would name "The Politics" as Nevermore's best? This thread and forum seem to be pretty dead, maybe because my post demanded a certain amount of thought before posting anything. In comparison, look at the Opeth- or Nevermore-forums to see that people do not want to invest at least a little time and brains when they talk on the internet. :erk:

Jim, do you actually still live outside of your rpg-world? - My flight goes on Monday morning...

Well. I don't know. But honestly if I was stranded and had a solar power recharger or whatever... I'd hope that an entire Frank Zappa collection washes up on shore. And then perhaps a basket would arrive with some Dead Kennedys, The Avengers, Rush, Nightingale, Virgin Steele, Ron Jarzombek, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian and Therion.

Jim, do you actually still live outside of your rpg-world? - My flight goes on Monday morning...

Yeah, but my CD collection has been in storage since the end of May, I've bought all of four albums in that time (two of them dirt cheap shit being sold off at gas stations...), neither with material newer than 14 years old on them... but I really don't have the opportunity to ever listen to anything... that's a problem when you're living someplace that's not your own. :p

In the process of looking for an apartment right now, and will hear any day now about this Finnish class I applied for... so... it'll still be awhile before anything new surfaces in LotFPland unfortunately. There was a window in the spring where it could have happened, but once I figured out Helsinki was actually a pleasant place to be most of my spare money went to traveling there until I could move there. Vaasa was not a great place.

So I guess it can only get better from now on... :)

@ Helm. I'm over there at the Corroseum under the same name, I guess you are too.

Really, I have had to rip some things on mp3 (something I would never have thought of, and it sounds bad - however high the bitrate is), as I take my laptop with me over there. The most horrible thought I have is not leaving my mother, but leaving my entire collection at my mother's. :lol: