Are 2 Ampeg SVT 410HE and SVT810 alike ?

Catalin

Oct 19, 2008
www.myspace.com
How much are 2 Ampeg SVT 410HE and Ampeg SVT810E alike - in terms of sound ?
I ask that because i already have an ampeg SVT410HE and i don't know what to do: buy another one or should i buy an SVT810E and keep the 410HE just for small gigs.
I want more presence(volume) and a more defined-focused sound.
My gear is:
-Warwick Streamer LX 5 strings
-Trace Elliot V-type all tube head 220W (4KT88)
-EBS Valve Drive
Do you think that SVT 810E will handle the B string better than 2 SVT 410HE ?
I play metal (pickstyle) and i use a medium distorted sound.
I mention that it is impossible to try an SVT 810E therefore i ask you.
What should do ?

Sorry for asking so many questions.
Thank you all !

I feel the low end on the 810 is a bit bigger, probably due to everything being in one cabinet. But with both being cabs with 10s, you should get a really punchy and defined tone no matter what. I have the 810 and love the sound, but sometimes think the 410s would be better on my back :lol:

Well for one thing the 810 has no horns and the 410he has does (which you could turn off). I think you could get these setups to sound fairly similar if you wanted though. The biggest advantage you'll gain sound-wise is getting your instrument closer to ear level.
However, I have to say that IMO if you want more low end extension and more "definition" from a cabinet I would look beyond the ampeg classic offerings. I really like the ampeg stuff but if you are after something more hifi sounding you need to at least check out Aguilar, EBS, Eden, etc. cabs.

However, I have to say that IMO if you want more low end extension and more "definition" from a cabinet I would look beyond the ampeg classic offerings. I really like the ampeg stuff but if you are after something more hifi sounding you need to at least check out Aguilar, EBS, Eden, etc. cabs.

Hi ! I don't want more low end and i don't like a hi-fi sound. I'm after an old-school semi-distorted bass sound.

Hi ! I don't want more low end and i don't like a hi-fi sound. I'm after an old-school semi-distorted bass sound.

That's cool. FWIW this is what I was reacting to:

I want ... a more defined-focused sound.
Do you think that SVT 810E will handle the B string better than 2 SVT 410HE ?

When I say hi-fi in reference to cabs I'm talking about getting out what you put in. The ampegs have a very particular sound that is light on low end extension and emphasizes the mids. When I think of "handling the B-string" I think of cabinets that actually reproduce the fundamental frequency of the note which neither of the ampegs do.
Don't get me wrong, I love ampegs but what I thought you were describing would require something different.

I'll also point out that warwick, trace and ebs don't really point in the "old-school" direction.

If I was only given a choice between 2x410he or one 810 classic I'd take the 810.

I played through a couple of EBS 4x10 cabinets.. they sound amazing and are very light to carry around!

That's cool. FWIW this is what I was reacting to:

Don't get me wrong, I love ampegs but what I thought you were describing would require something different

If I was only given a choice between 2x410he or one 810 classic I'd take the 810.

Hi ! It's my fault because I have not explained well.:saint:

Hello !
I just got the 810E yeterday. Wow ! i am extremely delighted. My T.E sings through this cab. For the first time since i play a five stringer i actually have a B string :headbang: This cab have so much punch and clarity, the overall sound is much warmer and present. Now i finally got the sound that I had it in my mind.
I never thought that a cabinet can be as important for the overall sound....

Ampeg 810E = :headbang:

Toured as a bassist using a GK 700RB into one, amazing bass tone every night. There is one on my list :)

~006