Band recommendations

StephenSLR

Oct 11, 2002
Sydney, Australia
www.lycanthia.com
Got a band you are dying for others to hear?

I'll start with an oldie but a goodie, Savatage, a band that had one of the most underrated guitarists Criss Oliva R.I.P.

One album I recommend from them Hall of the Mountain King.

Also, Criss Oliva's final album with them - Edge of Thorns, the guitar work on that is killer.

s

LETHAL!!!:worship:

U.S. Power/Trad Metal band from the late 80's/early 90's.
Their 1990 album "Programmed" is phenomenal! For fans of CRIMSON GLORY, QUEENSRYCHE and SANCTUARY.
Their later stuff infused some ALICE IN CHAINS into the mix but still sounded great.They have reformed and played a host of Euro festivals last year but not sure if they're gonna record new material? I hope they do.:)

I must check out some more Lethal. Definitely sounds like my cuppa tea.

I got nothing better to do than post some doom band that no one will like or even bother listening to anyway but here goes:

SOLSTICE!

Epic doom metal that doesn't really sound like any other band, although i guess the closest you could come would be Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus. Their debut album Lamentations is absolutely incredible. Amazing lyrics, atmosphere, riffs and clear, emotional vocals.

Got a band you are dying for others to hear?

I'll start with an oldie but a goodie, Savatage, a band that had one of the most underrated guitarists Criss Oliva R.I.P.

One album I recommend from them Hall of the Mountain King.

Also, Criss Oliva's final album with them - Edge of Thorns, the guitar work on that is killer.

s
Criss Oliva was a brilliant guitar player. Like a combination of Van Halen and Randy Rhoads with his own unique flair.

I do really really like Savatage and i love Jons voice but i think the main thing that held them back was the abundance of filler material on nearly all their albums except Mountain King.

Also Zac Stevens doesn't really do much for me. Edge of Thorns would have been AMAZING if Jon sang on it. Theres some recent live footage on Youtube of Jon Olivas Pain performing some stuff off Edge of Thorns and Jon kicks ass exactly the way i thought he would on those tracks.

the main thing that held them back was the abundance of filler material on nearly all their albums except Mountain King.

I thought there was some filler on that album too.

Also Zac Stevens doesn't really do much for me. Edge of Thorns would have been AMAZING if Jon sang on it.

I saw them headline at RockMachina with Damond Jiniya sharing vocals with Jon. Damond has an incredible range and great pitch, the combination of both vocalists really did the songs justice. To top it off Jeff Waters from Annihilator was on guitar, it's a real shame they didn't make a DVD of the show.

s

SOLSTICE!

Epic doom metal that doesn't really sound like any other band, although i guess the closest you could come would be Candlemass and Solitude Aeturnus. Their debut album Lamentations is absolutely incredible. Amazing lyrics, atmosphere, riffs and clear, emotional vocals.

Just don't get them mixed up with the Death Metal band of the same name.
Quite different i'd imagine.