bass distortion pedal advice

lifeiswarkult

New Metal Member
Mar 21, 2004
Louisville, KY
Hello,
Can some of you please recommend a decent distortion pedal? I was thinking of something that would sound good with my Crate B-150. I want something that growls but not something that sounds like poo. Anyway, any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Metal Above All!!

-Greg

Boss Bass Overdrive (ODB-2 or something). Can be very subtle or ridiculously overdriven, and the important thing is it has a blend knob so you don't lose all your low end. Sounds transistory, but what do expect out of a digital effect pedal?

When I was still using my Crate (BX100) I oftentimes just used a volume booster to make the preamp stage clip all the time, sounded really great. Not exactly safe for the amp though. :D

Line6 Bass Pod. I haven't tried the new XT models, but the originals had a couple of different distortion simulations (i.e. ProCo Rat distortion, Fuzz Face, etc.) There's also a "Sub Dub" selection that will get you a patch that removes almost all of the high end from your sound for that reggae bass sound. Crank it, though, and you get a distortion that sounds like a synthesizer patch. The preamp also sounds good distorted, plus you can get some other fun effect sounds to play with.

I do recommend avoiding guitar distortions since most of them will remove the low end from your bass (unless you're going for a sound like Peter Steele has in Type O Negative).