Bass To MIDI and Bass Samples?

Spokid

Feb 24, 2013
Okay, so while I'm still trying to achieve the bass tone I'd like, another option I thought of was perhaps to take the bass audio I've recorded, run it through Melodyne, and save it as MIDI, and then use that MIDI for a bass sample instrument.

Would this work? Is the audio-to-MIDI function in Melodyne good enough to make this happen without too many problems? And if so, what bass instrument do you recommend? I've heard a lot of praise for Zombass on here, but I've also heard that it suffers from some lag for a lot of people, and I'd rather not have to add additional steps into the process if I can help it.

I'm sure you could make it work, my question is why? If you have the bass recorded (assuming its a decent DI recording) you can get someone to reamp it with Nigel or something. But if it isn't a good DI, i can understand why.

I have no answer for that other than just wanting to do everything myself.

I would much rather just have a good bass tone to work with, and not have to go through this process, but I figured this could be an option to achieve my intended goal while I keep working on finding that tone.

This could work, that is if you are intending to blend the real and virtual basses together. My concern is latency issues, I would recommend paying close attention to the time alignment of your clips, obviously after you render your virtual bass as audio. If Melodyne's audio to MIDI feature doesn't work as well as you would hope, I would be looking to work in 'tab to transient' mode, or what ever your DAW's equivalent is.