Best Ulver album to start out with

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
Im new to Ulver, I got all the Arcturus cd's and Garm(TRIXTER G) is the man. Ive only heard a couple songs from Ulver and I didnt recall what album they where from. What should be the first purchase?

Well, the best Ulver album to start with is going to depend on your personal tastes. Theres 3 eras of ulver really.

The first era, is the black metal/folk music era. Lots of black metal guitars, and blast beats, but lots of acoustic passages and atmospheric elements, all in a woodsy and natural feeling. this is my personal favorite era.

The second era is when Ulver lost the black metal and folkish roots, and started to experiment with different types of music and elements in their sound...pretty much evolving into an electronic/rock hybrid of sorts, but with plenty of experimentation. Also a good era for those with eclectic tastes.

The third era, is where Ulver has pretty much lost all their rock/metal elements alltogether, in exchange for a completely melodic/ambient/electronic or symphonic aproach. This era includes soundtracks for films, as well as their own original studio creations with various subject matter. This is my 2nd favorite era, for its maybe the most creative and accesible material for them.

so in conclusion, i took the liberty of recommending my favorite album from each era, and you can use my brief summaries above as a guide.

era 1: Bergtatt
era 2: Themes From William Blake's - The marriage of heaven and hell
era 3: Perdition City

For the dark ambient music era, definitely check out Perdition City

and yeah...Bergtatt for the other end of their spectrum

I started with Bergtatt and would recommend the same, mainly because it's their first album and you can watch how they changed throughout the years. Perdition City would make a good starting point for later Ulver, but I'm glad I got that one after the Trilogie.

My favorite album by Ulver would have to be Bergtatt. It is just unbelievable. The first track really draws you in. The guitar work on the first track is really smooth and so are Garm's vocals. It gives the listener the feeling of flying kind of the way Arcturus' Aspera Hiems Symfonia does. If you like that album you will really like Bergtatt. It also has a lot of acoustical interludes almost like the album is telling one big story. All of the songs flow well into each other. One interlude puzzles me where it sounds like someone walking/running through the woods and the faint sound of a piano being played in the distance and then it busts into some harsh black metal and Garm's vocal's are like the "monk" vocals like on the 2nd track of A.H.S.

Nattens Madrigal is my other favorite. It has a really raw flavor to it. I always envision the band in the middle of the woods. The vocal work is straight grim vocals and the guitar work is CATCHY!! Kind of gut wrenching.

I didn't like Perdition City.It's kind of experimental. Reminds me of when Moonspell took a dive into electronica on Sin Pecado or also when Samael went that route.