Brainstorm more Thrash than Power Metal?

Aug 18, 2006
S. Illinois
I may be wrong, but isn't Power Metal supposedly more double-bass and keyboard driven than what Brainstorm typically does? Listening to their albums, I get a bit more of that Thrash riff vibe to them. Or at least that chunking guitar sound. Which I guess isn't quite thrash, but it isn't all that power metal either.

Well, I guess Power Metal consists of two kinda styles.

That one you mentioned, with keyboards and double bass etc. With bands like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Freedom Call...and so on, the genre within power metal I would like to call "flower power metal".

Then we have the heavier and somewhat darker/thrashier power metal without those 80% keyboards, 20% guitar stuff. Bands like Brainstorm, Persuader, Morgana Lefay etc.

So with this, yes. I agree with you, they show a thrashier side - but to call them more thrash metal than power metal is to me a bit exaggerated ;)

Well, I guess Power Metal consists of two kinda styles.

That one you mentioned, with keyboards and double bass etc. With bands like Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Freedom Call...and so on, the genre within power metal I would like to call "flower power metal".

Then we have the heavier and somewhat darker/thrashier power metal without those 80% keyboards, 20% guitar stuff. Bands like Brainstorm, Persuader, Morgana Lefay etc.

So with this, yes. I agree with you, they show a thrashier side - but to call them more thrash metal than power metal is to me a bit exaggerated ;)

Yeah....could be rabbit, could be...:loco:

In any case, they've got that unique sound.

I always thought one attribute of Powermetal was the damn fucking cool screaming. And i think that is what brainstorm makes power metal!

At least my opinion.

And anyways: whatever you call it... doesn´t matter for me, i like that style...

you know, back in the day we called Overkill power metal... they would turn in their.. uhm.. tourbus when they hear what is considered power metal these days!

/grandma

seriously... I see it the same as Nightrunner, only I call his flower power metal, happy metal and often I wonder what's even so metal about it...
I LOVE the other part, the thrashy side of power metal and I can see BS in that corner too. Or it's just a mix of (classic) heavy metal and thrash :)

I always thought one attribute of Powermetal was the damn fucking cool screaming. And i think that is what brainstorm makes power metal!

At least my opinion.

And anyways: whatever you call it... doesn´t matter for me, i like that style...

Screaming in what way? You mean the clean vocals, or metal-core type screaming?

Anyway, back in the mid-'90s, I was kind of into Death Metal, with US-based bands like Death, Deicide, Canniple Corpse, Obituary, and Morbid Angel, mainly for the melodic riffs, but I found the vocals got tiring after a while. Out of all those bands, Obituary was probably my favorite. Just because they sounded the coolest.

But now, actually just within the last 6 months or so, I've gotten into European Power Metal. I like the keyboard elements and the crunching guitar work, along with the clean vocals. But that's not to say I won't be getting into some darker death metal stuff. I'm thinking about getting into Amon Amarth, because their Viking Metal music is a bit different than your standard death metal. I'm also into Dark Tranquillity, and I guess that could be considered death metal of sorts, although they officially call their music Gothenburg Metal.

I mean the "clean" screaming, not the metal-core type screaming, although i like that too but not consider that to be "powermetal"

Why discuss about that categorization ;-)???

seriously... I see it the same as Nightrunner, only I call his flower power metal, happy metal and often I wonder what's even so metal about it...

Yes, yes - exactly. Take the latest Freedom Call-album for example, I would seriously NOT call it metal. It's easily some rockish/poppy shit.

Btw. is it only me that thinks Brainstorm went a bit too much on the "soft" side with some songs on "Liquid Monster" ? For example "All Those Words" ? I can't stand songs like that one...

Btw. is it only me that thinks Brainstorm went a bit too much on the "soft" side with some songs on "Liquid Monster" ? For example "All Those Words" ? I can't stand songs like that one...

No you´re not alone. I prefer the old songs from Hungry and Unholy but i like the LM Album quite alot.

I generally like the thrashy songs the best, but also some of the more epic ones. I guess it just depends on the song...

As for All Those Words.. I happen to LOVE that song, don't know why, but it puts me in a good mood (if I ain't already ;)) each time.

I generally like the thrashy songs the best, but also some of the more epic ones. I guess it just depends on the song...

As for All Those Words.. I happen to LOVE that song, don't know why, but it puts me in a good mood (if I ain't already ;)) each time.

I agree. At first I didn't care for it, but after a few listens, it's really cool with the female backing vocals. Plus the theme of the song is neat. :cool:

Here's what Iwrote on 'Liquid Monster' review ni 2005: "Brainstorm are basically heavy metal, but with power metal and slight thrashy twists ('Despair to Drown' could partly be on Kreator's newer studio works)."

That's how I saw it... Thrpowevy metal?!:lol:

Here's what Iwrote on 'Liquid Monster' review ni 2005: "Brainstorm are basically heavy metal, but with power metal and slight thrashy twists.

That's how I saw it... Thrpowevy metal?!:lol:

Yep, that's a good way to sum it up.

The only really power metal part of their style is Andy's vocals. The music itself, is a thrashy heavy metal sound, but with of course a tinge of modern Euro-metal.

That said, I'm trying to figure out what exactly Hammerfall is. To me, they sound more like '80s glam metal with medieval themes than anything else. I can see Motley Crue playing just about anything Hammerfall does.