Circle reviews

re: vocal melodies...isn't this the first time that Tomi has worked on the melody lines by himself? Could that play into what you are noticing?
Exactly! There's not as much expertise available than before which is likely to influence things at first. Should get better later on though.

Alright, here you go.
Not unbiased, but trying to be objective. Comments welcome...

Finally a review I can agree with for the most part!
I don't know if it is because we talked about it so much, but it seems that I have reached pretty much the same conclusions and wrote them down or will write them down in my review (I was tired and grumpy last night and couldn't finish it, but I'd rather take my time instead of doing a halfassed job).

Thanks for all the great comments! :D

vocal melodies...isn't this the first time that Tomi has worked on the melody lines by himself? Could that play into what you are noticing?
I suspect the same. A sparring partner the caliber of Hietala is not to be underestimated, and he might again have encouraged Tomi to vary his approach and try less conventional melodies. Maybe the best of both worlds would be Peter producing the death/black vox and Marco the others. ;)

The thing that shadows Wanderer is that there is a superior mellow track before it!
That's true for sure. Between Mission and Narrow Path, it doesn't generate much added value, but I probably wouldn't have found any fault with it if instead it had been in place of You I Need on TBOT, balancing the brutality of "My Enemy".

I also missed the use of the delay effects on Esa's guitar, they barely exist on this album.
I would really like to see the band improve the choruses and create more songs like 'Sampo' that step outside the box and have 6-7 riffs, incorporating all the genres the band touches on into one song. [...]
Honestly, replacing A New Day with a Dead Man's Dream and slightly adjusting the track order would raise my rating of the album from an 82 to about an 88 out of 100.
I fully agree on all three points. I know the Latin word "bonus" means "good", but that shouldn't be an excuse for placing the best stuff in that spot ;) But speaking of it, while I typed the previous sentence, I received an e-mail from Japan saying my item has been dispatched. Let's see what bonus track is on this one, what it sounds like and who wrote it. (Anyone remember the "hidden bonus tracks" that were common in the 90s? They might yet see a comeback... ;) )

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm going to go ahead and agree with everyone else when saying that this is a great review.

I especially like this point:

"Maybe the lyrics are to blame – judging from what I can figure out by ear, the concept story of a fictitious character’s spiritual rebirth seems to remain pretty superficial for the most part and nobody could be blamed for singing lines like “he laughs at himself, now it’s easy to let go” with less passion than, for example, “I forge my wisdom into an arc surrounding all”. "

The three lyric videos we got on YT were fine for me, but I have to agree - figuring out by my own ear, I think the good deal of other songs probably have some of the weakest lyrics Pekka Kainulainen has presented us so far. At first I was hopeful and intrigued by the whole concept, hoping that Pekka would deliver some awesome, more personal, nature-inspired verses with the power akin to those on previous albums - but I feel that my hopes didn't get fulfilled.

I could easily be wrong, since my ear isn't the best on figuring lyrics, and will wait several more days until they get published online (decided against pre-ordering, will buy the album either when/if I see them live, or in a few months).

Ranking the songs on the album:

1. Nightbird's Song
2. The Mission
3. Enchanted by The Moon
4. Into The Abyss
5. Shades Of Grey
6. Narrowpath
7. The Wanderer
8. Hopeless Days
9. A New Day

Honestly, replacing A New Day with a Dead Man's Dream and slightly adjusting the track order would raise my rating of the album from an 82 to about an 88 out of 100.

A New Day worst song on the album? Mission better than Enchanted by the Moon and Shades of Gray?! Heresy! Here's what mine would look like:

1. Enchanted by the Moon
2. Shades of Gray
3. Nightbird's Song
4. A New Day
5. Narrow Path
6. Hopeless Days
7. Into the Abyss
8. Mission
9. Wanderer

Mission and Wanderer are basically the same song to me at this point (exaggerating of course). Two back-to-back ballads (three if you include Hopeless Days!) is such a dumb idea, especially near the beginning of the album. I would have loved if the entire album took the direction introduced in Shades of Gray and explored in Enchanted by the Moon, although I'm really growing to appreciate the variety. Narrow Path is endlessly catchy. One of my favourite moments on the album is actually the flute solo in Nightbird's Song that leads into the main tremolo riff; never heard something like that ever before.

It confuses me endlessly why they left Dead Man's Dream off the official tracklisting. Not that I personally care, since it'll be available and out there, but they advertised this album as one of their heaviest, then leave what might be the heaviest song off of it? Just too bad it'll never get played live, since just base off of the sample, it sounds great.

Mission and Wanderer are basically the same song to me at this point (exaggerating of course). Two back-to-back ballads (three if you include Hopeless Days!) is such a dumb idea, especially near the beginning of the album.
There's no such thing as a ballad on this album, even by Amorphis standards. Sorry but that claim just bothers me :lol:

For me, Mission is in the top three, while The Wanderer is currently in the bottom three. And yes, Mission is better than Enchanted... ;) Also, no one has heard Dead Man's Dream in full so I don't see much point in comparing it to the album proper yet.

For me, Mission is in the top three, while The Wanderer is currently in the bottom three. And yes, Mission is also better than Enchanted... ;)

Mission is one of the most brilliant songs on the album. Comes only second to Nightbird's Song, imho. Actually, it depends on what you're looking for.

As for The Wanderer... Well... I thought you, Blizk, were saying it was a nice song?

After the fifth spin Enchanted is nothing that special, actually ;)

Huh, I really think Enchanted is the most impressive song on Circle, so much more so than Mission, which is itself quite nice. I can't remember a song they've done as absolutely massive as Enchanted by the Moon; the second half is especially indescribable.

I really like when the guitars come in on Wanderer, some nice licks and a good chorus, but yeah, they've done better songs in the same style. Mission probably is a bit stronger than Wanderer I'd say.

http://nocturnemagazine.net/impression/1283/amorphis-circle

I am highly disappointed by this review, simply because Boban Pantoš, the guy who wrote it, generally makes good points when reviewing albums. But this time he is full of shit.

I won't translate the whole thing, but he basically says that Amorphis is getting weaker and weaker, that although there are still great traces of quality here and there (interesting riffs, good melodies etc.), they are often poorly put together. Something is missing from the album, and he categorizes it as 'fine' - bad, but you will often return to it...just to be disappointed. (wtf)

Hopeless Days and A New Day are good songs, where band tries to 'explore', whereas SOG and The Wanderer are boring. Narrow Path is offending of anyone's intelligence who is over 15, and Nightbird's Song is the watered-down variant of recent Amo work (WTF).

In general, Amorphis has made a bad, cash-grabbing record for 'some new kids', which is absolutely predictable and expected - which is the main reason it fails. All previous albums with Tomi J. are better.

I wonder whether the person listened to the album more than once.

I wonder that too...

As I've said, I am really disappointed and somewhat shocked by this review, simply because it isn't one. This is a lengthy rant that I'd expect to see by some highly disappointed fan on a random forum, but not from a proper reviewer on an official website - even more so, considering that the person who wrote it, as I've said before, generally writes fine reviews with good points and criticism of certain merit, not simple raging and trolling, since no other term is applicable for this.

This is, simply put, utter shit.

a review for a cd that you think is ''bad'' can be different from a ''spitful'' review.probably this,is one of the second category

"It may be cynical, but the logical explanation for this idiotic situation is that Nuclear Blast god greedy and decided to release a third of the album in various bonus editions and regionally limited streaming services and the Japanese iTunes, from which, naturally, the rest of the world cannot buy anything, no matter how much they want to. Besides, sooner or later those bonus tracks will turn up on the Internet, and for free."

This is, basically, the point of it all.

NB is well aware that in this day and age selling vinyls and cds is not the main way of getting music to fans, and, other way around, getting money. But they still decided to milk the cow while they can, and they milked it good. Next time, they'll probably tear its udder off.

I really hate NB and I feel really bad when I buy Amo (and other bands') stuff knowing that I'm supporting that idiotic label more than the actual band. However, Amo are probably the only ones who've allowed themselves to make something as stupid as this - release a third of their album like bonus, as you point out.

I seriously think something with their management got very wrong, and I am personally disappointed with the way their taking.

And knowing all that, I feel bad because I cannot fully appreciate 'Circle'. It's a good album, as a piece of art. As a piece of fan-artist communication and symbol of trust and connection between the two, it's a fucking travesty.

....eh, another rant over.