Do you feel comfortable sharing music with others?

I share music with those I love, which means close friends, good girlfriends (3 out of like 20 throughout my life), and family.

On rare occasion I'll toss a CD-R to a coworker, but only when really prompted by my distaste for their lack of understanding a genre. Case in point, my assistant gave me a CD-R of Wolfmother, so I gave him one of Clutch.

It's usually just a complete waste of time regardless. If anyone ever catches a whiff of something I listen to, it's always "why do you listen to that screaming shit?" The real question is, why do you only pay attention to vocals when you listen to "music?" Meh.

I have one friend who listens to some similar music. He originally listened to bands like Slipknot a lot and I shared Opeth with him and since then I've opened him up to a lot of good music. He's a drummer, so a lot of metal impresses him, but he doesn't really understand atmosphere or the more emotional Agalloch type bands so much and doesn't seem to take music that seriously. He spends 0 dollars on new music and never searches for bands, etc. I've showed him everything he listens to, but his lack of dedication is a turn off and anymore I don't really care about helping him along.

That lack of dedication that he has though, is simply the problem with EVERYONE. Metal takes a lot of dedication to be a fan of, plain and simple. We're all willing to throw thousands of dollars into CDs, shirts, shows, etc. We don't mind listening to music that we know everyone else hates and we don't mind if people think we're weird, crazy people because of it. The music becomes a serious part of our life, not just a passing hobby, it's something serious and real. Most people are just too lazy or indifferent to make that sort of commitment.

I've shown a few bands to family (sister, cousins, mom) but it's mostly a fruitless venture. My cousins think some of it rules, but don't really understand it and let it just pass by. My sister went through a real awakening life period and during it, I helped her along and she got into some of my music, but I don't think it stuck. Sometimes it's just fun to find a fairly tame band or try to match one up with a person's taste to see how it goes, but at this point I have absolutely no one that shares my tastes. Hopefully that'll change sometime, I've just got to find the right girl.:)

that was actualy a high quality post, and I agree with a lot of it, mainly about how it takes dedication to listen to metal.

Yep, totally agree with that sentiment too. I have little patience for people who complain that all modern music is shit or have variations on that little whinge, because there's always quality material about if you're willing to go looking for it. One of the things I like so much about this forum is the willingness amongst people to post threads about bands that the others may not have heard, including samples for those who were interested. My love of Agalloch is a result of my visiting this forum.

I tend not to advertise my music taste at all. Whenever anyone asks me what I listen to I'll pretty much always say "stuff like Iron Maiden" which isn't really true at all, but it's at least something they might have heard of. There's some stuff in my collection which I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable getting other people to listen to because I know they wouldn't understand it.

Opeth17 said:
but at this point I have absolutely no one that shares my tastes. Hopefully that'll change sometime, I've just got to find the right girl.:)

Me too, on the first bit. My girlfriend is at least into rock and alternative music, so I don't mind sharing some of my music with her, but good luck finding a chick who likes proper metal!

I'm willing to share any music with any person. Sometimes because I think they'll like it and just as often because I know they won't. Hearing someone bitch about an album I love doesn't bother me a bit, and I'm always happy to spread the word about albums I like, as well as when the artists gain more fans.

Like many people here, I'm very selective about who I share my music with, and I don't like to give long explanations about my tastes, especially when people will just make misconceptions about them anyway. But that doesn't stop me from trying, and I appreciate any comments I receive because I enjoy gauging people's reactions. I often find myself using the "if you like X, you really need to hear Y" approach, most recently yesterday when my cousin told me he was seeing Tool, and I immediately told him to check out Isis before the show rolls around.

Doom said:
Me too, on the first bit. My girlfriend is at least into rock and alternative music, so I don't mind sharing some of my music with her, but good luck finding a chick who likes proper metal!
i had a girlfriend once that liked agalloch, katatonia and opeth. it was the only good thing about her :erk: :loco:

Finding chicks that like proper metal is easy, finding chicks that arn't fucking batshit insane is hard.

like Opeth17 said, when people do the "why the hell do they sing like that" part i give up, if your only listening to the singing go listen to video hits crap. I dont actually mind sharing my music to people i know may get into it. My Mum and Dad actually like Damnation by opeth and one day i was watching the opeth dvd and The drapery falls was playing, dad sat down and enjoyed it.. until he started screaming :lol:

For you married folk. Has marriage impacted the amount of time you have to sit down and consume music? Such a situation puts the husband at the end of the barrel of compromise, one in which I'm presuming ends in a man's phalli flailing in retreat.

Reign in Acai said:
For you married folk. Has marriage impacted the amount of time you have to sit down and consume music? Such a situation puts the husband at the end of the barrel of compromise, one in which I'm presuming ends in a man's phalli flailing in retreat.
Sort of, and what marriage didn't parenthood did. Nearly all my music is heard in the car, all day at work, or while on the computer. That's more than enough time.

Doom said:
http://www.last.fm/user/detect_self/ oh yeah

Also, I'm widely known as the Killer of Parties with comlpete disregards for others' opinions who enjoys blasting Overkill until someone puts on some gay crap instead, then I go sit in a corner and grumble to myself until I think everyone has forgotten about the music (since noone but me every listens to anything anyway)

This is really off topic I guess! But anyway, most.. emotional or whatever you like to call it, deep? music is best consumed alone or possibly together with someone who already gets it

I can't thing of a single 'share' that has been positive, except with a close friend of mine who listens to rock/friendly metal but he generally can't pass growl/screams plus he's a guitarist so what's exciting for him is technical or weird shit. So no black metal for him :) . I'm definitely not comfortable with sharing : when asked about what I listen to, I just don't know what to answer. Depends on the person, on the moment and of what I think will be the consequences of the answer :lol: