EVH 5150 III 100 watt issue

DaveTheEpicFail

New Metal Member
Dec 28, 2011
Hey guys, not entirely sure I'm putting this in the right place but I'm looking for any help I can get. Yesterday I received my EVH 5150 III 100 watt amp head and have it connected to a Orange PPC212 cab. I hooked it up last night after work and it was sounding great. I turned it on this morning and all the channels had this really bad crunch/buzz on the strings and lacked sustain. Overall it sounded completely different than last night. So after messing with it for an hour I tried looking around the internet and found very little to help me. Now just a few moments ago I tried again and the only channel getting any sound output is channel 3 which is the high gain channel but it's putting out a clean sound. I'm not experienced when it comes to amps at all and would like to know if anyone could help me on this. Much appreciated. \m/

The first two things I would look at are tubes and fuses. You can find the tube layout/schematic here

http://support.evhgear.com/schematics/EVH_5150III_TubeChart.pdf

Try swapping around different tubes on different channels and see what works/doesn't. My 5150 III 100W had a few issues like this, they replaced the tube sockets and re soldered a few things and it works like new. Is it from the first year they released the 5150 III? Supposedly those have more issues than the newer ones

Did you buy it new? If so take it back to the shop and get it repaired or replaced. If you've bought it used then take it to your local amp tech.