Fender vs Ibanez 5-string bass

Derykus

Mar 14, 2011
I'm looking at a Fender MIM Jazz bass and an Ibanez BTB405QM; both 5-string basses. The Fender is 34" scale and the Ibanez is 35" scale. Both the same price at $300. I want it purely for recording, and mostly only for rock and some metal.

fen5mex.jpeg

vs
i00.jpg

What are your opinions on these two basses?

J bass hands down. BTB is a solid bass but the J bass has great pickups STOCK! I have a mim and replaced the pickups with Duncan Pro-Active for Jazz Bass AJJ-1. I let every band plug there bass in then the j bass right after wards and the j always end up being the bass used for tracking.

Both VERY different sounding basses. I'd really recommend trying them both if possible before buying.

I'd definitely agree, and it's why I'm asking because I haven't recorded a whole lot of bass. Only bass I've recorded is an American Jazz bass, so I'm quite spoiled.

I tried them both out today, and from what I could tell the Ibanez held the low string a little bit better but nothing drastic. Ibanez seemed funner to play. As for tone, it's really almost impossible to compare how it sounds in a store vs. a mix (for me anyways).

All I want is that fat ass modern radio-rock bass like Breaking Benjamin. And I know this requires a Musicman bass with that huge humbucker, but I haven't seen any used ones pop up lately.

Wouldn't ever buy a 5 string bass with a 34 inch scale, but that's just me. 35 inches are where it's at for 5 string basses. That extra one inch makes a huge difference to the articulation and snap of the low B string

If you are planning on keeping it in standard 5 string tuning with the lowest string being B, get the Fender.
If you want to detune below that, get the Ibanez.

I think the Fender will give you a better sound at standard tuning (especially if played with fingers), but the Ibanez's seem more built for detuning with the longer scale etc.

My 2c......

Well I have a BTB475 and while it's very confortable to play I'm not too happy it sounds to be honest.

Maybe more expensive models are better... I'm not sure.

It's very bland and unexciting overall. It's certainly a good instrument for practice and possibly in live

situations but I bought it solely for recording and I must admit that there are far better basses for this

purpose.

Also the EQ is voiced in a stupid way imo. (Bartolinins MK2 I think)

I'm about to buy a Sandberg California VM5 (a mix between a Precision and a Stingray). It's a 34" but I'm

no longer convinced that it's such a big deal with the low string. I played a five stringer high end Warwick

with a standard scale the other day and it was very comfortable (actually more pleasing than the BTB) and

sounded just great so I think it's all a matter of good lutherie in the first place rather than scale.

BTB's sure are popular on here... wonder why? :lol:
Ermz? hahaha

Also the EQ is voiced in a stupid way imo. (Bartolinins MK2 I think)
Yea it also has the MK2 pickups. This is why I don't really want to go with the BTB, I don't want to have to upgrade pickups and preamps or any electronics.

I'll probably just wait around til a used Stingray pops up locally.

I own 2 Fender MIM Jazz Deluxes, both completely stock. Is this one active? I haven't played the passives so I can't really comment. I love both of mine. I play in a sludge/doom/post-rock band and I do a lot of chording on the bass, so the mids of the Fender really work for me. The mids can definitely get a bit boxy/cardboardy if you're not careful. They're great basses for the price, but there are better options out there if you're looking for the more scooped, clanky highend type bass tones.

but there are better options out there if you're looking for the more scooped, clanky highend type bass tones.

Feel free to share what you have in mind!

I've only recorded with an American Jazz bass, and it IS quite mid-heavy.