First time recording live drums.

Deebo

Dirty Man-Horse
Jan 14, 2008
Utah
Hey guys it's my first time recording live drums. I've followed a lot of the online guides on the forums and they were very helpful. I just want to post a sample and some pictures of the setup to see what i need to improve and some maybe better mic placements. This clip is not mixed so just the raw tracks with a limiter on the master bus. And yeah I know the floor tom sounds like shit but I can't get my new floor tom in yet.

Here is the mic list:

Kick - d6
snare - Beta 57a
Tom - Beta 57a
floor tom - Beta 57a
Overheads - 2 MXL 441 "I know :("
Room - At4040

Sample Here

2011-04-03_15-48-58_956.jpg

2011-04-03_15-49-16_141.jpg

2011-04-03_15-49-27_669.jpg

2011-04-03_15-49-36_53.jpg

2011-04-03_15-49-08_960.jpg

Although there is no right or wrong, try nudging tom mics forward, toward center of the head. Floor tom mic definitely would benefit from lowering the angle. Also, nudge snare mic more toward center, something like 1-2 cm past the rim. Shell mic's height seems about 'right'.
I see that the room is not treated, so I would also suggest pulling those OH mics down like 10-15 cm or so, and aim with each of those mics toward outer sides of the kit, sort of like this '/ \' (but don't move stands, positions seems ok). Try setting them up in a way so the snare is in mics' null point.

I'd actually try raising the floor tom microphone a few inches, and angle it more toward the centre of the drum. It'll capture more of the drum as a "whole" rather than just a single area. It'll sound fatter and meatier, but will give you more bleed.

Hey everyone, here is an updated raw track with advice you guys gave me. Here let me know what you think. Thanks.

Damn, that second clip is raw? Sounds pretty fucking killer man, make some samples of that snare. Lower the overheads for a more 'mixready' balance so we can get a better idea of what's going on.

Thank you! That snare was giving me all sorts of trouble while tuning, I took some samples earlier and ill upload them when im back to my studio computer. I got the overheads about a foot from the top of the cymbals, how much lower do you think I should drop them? Thanks again for the kind words and help.

Thank you! That snare was giving me all sorts of trouble while tuning, I took some samples earlier and ill upload them when im back to my studio computer. I got the overheads about a foot from the top of the cymbals, how much lower do you think I should drop them? Thanks again for the kind words and help.

Oh no, I meant volume. The cymbals are way too loud in comparison to the drums, and when you drop the overhead volume down the close mics may sound a bit weird, or even better, in any case it'll be more revealing.