General advice needed, first time recording drums!

The Unavoidable

jättebög
May 27, 2008
Umeå, Sweden
Hi guys. In a couple of weeks, my band is going to record the drums for our upcoming full length album. Since no one else in the band has a clue about recording, I'm going to step in as engineer. Now, I've done my homework and read all about recording metal drums, and I've also been through OZs guide a number of times, but I thought I would atleast just ask about some general advice regarding basic drum tracking. We will be recording in a fairly large room, but with decent acoustics, and will be using this mic setup: (We will be renting a decent set of Sennheiser mics from a local musicstore, the ones they use in their studio, though I don't know the exact models yet)

Kick: Mic + trigger.
Snare: SM57 on top
Toms 1-4: Sennheisers
OHs: Sennheisers (from the set)
Ride: SM57 pointing at the bell form underneath, to add definition. (This is just a starting point)
Hihat: If we end up micing the hats, we will probably use my Studio Projects B1, could use some tips on positioning!

And thats pretty much it. Any thoughts on this setup? The band is mainly old-school death metal, think Bloodbaths "Ressurrection.." album.

I feel pretty confident about it, it feels like I got things under control. And we also have alot of time (five days), so there is some time to work with mic-placements. But like I said, this is my first time recording live drums for a serious project and I would love any input the more experienced might have.
Some of my guidelines that I have set up for myself:

1. Minimize bleed as much as possible, atleast from the drums that might end up sample replaced.
2. As little room sound on the OHs as possible. Since I don't know anything about the room, and it's alot easier to add some reverb later to the OHs then trying to filter out bad room sound, right?
3. The drummer is changing heads a day or two before, (giving them time to settle) but neither me or him are not all that skilled at tuning toms. The sound we are going for is a real old Entombed/Bloodbath kind of sound, really low and "thud" sounding toms. I'm thinking just experiment with it, see what works?
4. Getting samples of every drum and cymbal on the kit before we start tracking. For sample replacment and as an aid during mixing.

Anything else I should do/think about? Phasing issues? Tuning heads?

The drummer is changing heads a day or two before, (giving them time to settle) but neither me or him are not all that skilled at tuning toms.

Start practicing. It really helps a lot, just like with anything. It really doesn't cost that much, new heads are like 20e/tom and when practicing, usually one set is enough, which is not bad compared to the benefit when you master it.

I suggest that if you can get yourself a nylon string acoustic guitar (and a tuner for it), and one tom (doesn't really matter what tom, I like 12" toms because they already have some lowend, but if he has any extra toms laying around somewhere, use those), then go buy a set of heads for it and new strings for the acoustic.

I've noticed that tuning the drums to the lowest possible note they can play in give you that big sound. You can hear what it is when it actually plays and doesn't sound like a wet rag. Then try to find it with the acoustic guitar and when you find it, then just tune the lowest string on the acoustic to that and try to match the tuning to it. I've found that C or C# work nicely for the 16" floor toms.

And get moongel, it helps a lot with the ringing if you can't get the sound acoustically just right there where you want it.

edit: this too:

Last edited by a moderator: