Good Choir/Strings vst

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello,

I've been searching some ways to get some good choirs. I'm one of those who dig string/choir sounds in between natural ones and pure synth ones, because that fits better in a metal song imo (assuming it's for a metal song of course).

Just check this to see which ones I dig :

Basically, it's more or less the type of sounds you can find in a good numeric key/synthetiser. But I don't know where to find that type of sounds, I would dig a good expander but there are SO many, and simple vst don't often sound good (I know the Magnus Choir but it doesn't sound so good, maybe with a little tweak, dunno).

Do you have some ideas ?

Last edited by a moderator:
EWQLSO Silver sounds great for what it costs. It might be a bit more realistic than what you want.

The EW library Voices of the Apocalypse sounds AWESOME for metal choir... Check out "The Talent of Deceit" in my sig.

afaik the roland jv1080 is perfect for that, and can be found relatively
cheap...
as far as vst goes, i dig nanotron (mtron if you want some more sounds,
but nanotron is free)
both are sampled mellotrons which imo sound quite nice for metal :kickass:

haven't tried these yet but there's a big thread about them @ KVR. One of them models a vintage string machine...

sy5.png

and another models a mellotron...

Screen00008-1.jpg

to find the sound you're looking forward i'd recommend running 2 or 3 instrument tracks w/various samples and emulators and blending to taste.

good luck!

(i'll post samples if they sound like what you're looking for)

jesse

i just picked up magnus choir, decent sounds for the price i think (i didnt have $500 to drop on the east west stuff). anyways, i've never really messed with choirs and stuff before. should these choir sounds be brought in mono or stereo?

I guess that just depends on what you're after. But I usually want a big, stereo sound. I've found that the width control on Magnus just doesn't get it as large and wide sounding as commercial releases. So, I'd put a put a stereo chorus on the choir (as an insert), but turn the mix from anywhere to 75% - 100% wet - I don't want much of an obvious chorus effect, just mainly the width (with maybe a touch of the chorus). Then I turn off Magnus' reverb and use a good quality, lush sounding reverb. That got me much closer. And with a little twiddling with the attack and release settings, it got me pretty close to the sounds I wanted.

Now I'm using commercial releases, but I wouldn't even hesitate about using Magnus Choir in a pinch. With some tweaking, and put in a mix (where it's not the main focus), it really does okay.

great info, thanks so much. you even answered another question i had (should i turn off the reverb in magnus choir and use the one in the mix instead). yes, i'm definitely using this stuff as background, so i dont need the mormon tabernacle choir perfectly recreated.