Guitar Help Needed

Forest-of-October

Here comes the apple, zed
Oct 13, 2005
Vancouver Island.
Once again, I'm coming to you guys for guitar help. I know a couple of you on here have been playing for many years, so I'm sure this seems like a noob question for someone whos been playing for 2 years. But I'm self-taught, and I cant really figure out all of the different tunings. Could anyone help me out, or atleast give me a decent site that could.

Well, it may not be the best help but if you have Guitar Pro, there's like 17 tunings stored in there... Should be enough, unless you're into freak-out-tunings...

Well standard, as I'm sure you know, goes E-A-D-G-B-E (low to high). Drop D just changes the bottom E to a D. I'm sure you know this so not wanting to patronise, but i guess its god to cover it, right? Some examples of open tunings are: D-A-D-G-A-D or D-A-D-G-B-D and these give some pretty cool sounds. The tuning that Mastodon and Zakk Wylde often use is as follows B-A-D-G-B-E BUT this is often put down a whole step each time thus giving A-G-C-F-A-D. Tunings such as drop C are usually just the drop d tuning, then every string down a step or however many is required. There are many other open tunings, and well any tuning is possible! Hope this has been some use, and not just seen as patronising and a waste of time, if so not intentional, but hey I'm sure somone somewhere won't know this stuff even if you do dude.

the reason to do different tunings is to either A) make it simpler to play certain chords or B) get different chords on the 'open' sound.

a lot of people use it to get lower notes as well.

Silent Song said:
the reason to do different tunings is to either A) make it simpler to play certain chords or B) get different chords on the 'open' sound.

a lot of people use it to get lower notes as well.

What about for different styles of music :erk: country and western players use open tunings like DADGAD because its a very good tuning to use a slide on. certain tunings can give different feelings and emotion towards a song just because of a change of key and some bands (for example, sonic youth) have two guitars in completely different tunings.

Major chords that can't be played in open position: F, F#, A#, B, C#, D#. They can be played open with alternate tunings, though. Is that what you mean? This can be a big deal if you use drones in your sound.