high-gain big chords

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
how are you guys getting clarity on bigger/complex chords on your distorted guitars? I've made sure each of them are tuned PERFECT on a per-chord basis during tracking and no matter what I do with the amp or in the mix it just turns into a globular mess, or undergained grossness.

I've had success depending on the sound chosen. Usually, there's no way it can sound really good if your strings are not brand new. Then, I found that it was all about the amp used, some are pretty good at that (I remember hearing some hughes and kettner amp which was hi gain AND you could hear each note of a chord pretty well, it was a bit weird). I would say maybe dialing the amp tone so that the frequencies of note intelligibility (wtf I don't know how to spell this word correctly) are enhanced.

Also, the more voices in the chord, the most difficult it will be to make it sound good distorted. I often write 7th or disminished chords in my songs, and I know it will be a struggle to make it sound good :)

One thing you could try is splitting the chord into a few parts - instead of a minor triad, play one root/5 and one root/m3. Or perhaps one root/5 and one m3/octave. Each segment will come through clearer since there won't be as many harmonics running into the amp to get mushed around.

Sometimes it's not possible to get some chords sound right. News strings help a lot but due to complex harmonic content of the chords they alone won't help. When I'm after big fat sound (for instance a la Alice In Chains) I don't crank up the gain that much. If sus2 or sus4 chords aren't clear enough to me I back up on the gain. Over the years I found out you don't need to go up to 11 with it to get the sickest sounds.

I think I read somewhere on these forums that Colin Richardson has the band record every string at a time to make sure the chords are absolutely in tune? Although I could see that sounding weird, since the sound of a chord is different to individual strings. Maybe if you sum then together and then reamp it?

I agree with what Jormyn says.

Split the chord into triads (or dyads if desperate, but 3 note chords is probably spot on). My old band used to have a lot of chords with 5 different intervals in them, but I was always a huge fan of layering and having all the notes come through.

If you are quad tracking the rhythm guitars you can go even further with this and have 2 left guitars play very slightly different versions of the full chord, and then the 2 right guitars play slightly different things to each other as well as the left guitars.

SOUNDS HUGE. Depends what you're going for though I guess... but stacking 9th chords and 7th chords all over the places sounds sweeeeet.

I think I read somewhere on these forums that Colin Richardson has the band record every string at a time to make sure the chords are absolutely in tune? Although I could see that sounding weird, since the sound of a chord is different to individual strings. Maybe if you sum then together and then reamp it?

that would probably sound more like brian may!

If I have chord clarity issues, I usually reamp the DI guitar single through a much cleaner setting then pan them slightly closer to centre than the high gain (usually 85-90 for high gain, 75-80 for cleaner tone) which helps.

Was also working on project once where I accidently flipped the phase of one of the rhythm guitar tracks (was using quad-tracked), and it made the chords really clear. I think this had something to do with one track comb-filtering the other one, but its been too long since I did audio theory and I can't be bothered looking it up......

For me it's a matter of having a guitar and amp that has lots of individual note clarity and only enough gain to make it sound right then the gain backed off just a smidge. I play a lot of complex/big chords and whenever I play a new amp I always check to see how it handles something Maj7sus4 or something with close intervals like a root-5th with an added minor 6. If I can't hear the individual notes then most likely the amp has too much gain, too much low end going in the pre gain stage, has a saggy power section or I'm not playing a bright enough guitar.