Hurricane Rita

rockyracoon said:
here's the problem: THIS IS NOT A FUCKING SURPRISE!!!!!. blame the govt, as well they should be blamed for being unprepared! but dont pretend like the residents didnt know the dangers of living where they lived. this was a ticking time bomb. i live in illinois, and about every 2 years i see the same people who live in the mississippi flood basin on tv talking about how they lost their house in the FLOOD, but how they plan to fucking REBUILD. dont get me wrong, i have absolute compassion for the people who have lost their homes, lives, family and friends to distaster. but watch how after all is said and done, people just rebuild in the same places. claiming such ignorant views like, "we"re strong, and we'll rebound against all this..." what a load of shit!!! nature is a much more dominant force than govt, and everything else. and it doesnt matter how you vote, it can affect us all. i guess what im saying is: can we please learn something from this tragedy rather than just feeling sorry for people. i know that's totally against everything the govt stands for, but maybe, just maybe we can start to take a proactive solution!!!

So let's ban people from living within 125 miles of all coastline from New York City to Corpus Christi. Oh, and all of Florida. Let's see, that would include: San Antonio, Houston, Shreveport, Gulfport, Jackson, Mobile, Montgomerey, Columbus, Augusta, Charleston, Charlotte, Greensboro, Portsmouth, Richmond, oh and don't forget Washington DC. You're talking about moving 100 MILLION PEOPLE just because there's a chance that a hurricane will hit some time in the future.

I agree that if you are going to live in these areas you should be responsible for yourself - be insured and be ready to leave or die. You do realize that living in Chicago you're within reach of the New Madrid faultline? It's supposed to fail ANY TIME - and catastrophically so. So if it fails, are we supposed to say Rocky deserved to lose everything because it was "NOT A FUCKING SURPRISE!!!!!"?? And that, by saying that, we're showing "absolute compassion"???? No.

I live just outside of Alton which was flooded by the 100 Year Flood that you referred to above.

A) The people who live on the river who were wiped out are typically less fortunate than us which is why they buy the less expensive land down by the river. And if that parcel of land ends up being the ONLY thing left that they own and noone else will buy it, what are they supposed to do? If the government is supposed to buy all that land then you'll have millions of people up in arms (and people like you on this board) crying, "Why are my taxes going to pay for worthless land!?!?" Oh, and it isn't every 2 years...
B) The Army Corps of Engineers built levees to protect the areas most prone to flooding. Several of those levees failed - a few were blown up by dumbasses. One problem of building levees is that the water HAS to go SOMEWHERE. So places that had never flooded before FLOODED.
C) All of us are required to carry flood insurance. Even though I live 100 feet
up in the bluffs I STILL have to carry flood insurance. Trust me, if my house ever flooded because of the river, all of St. Louis would be underwater first... If people decide to live on the river, refuse to carry flood insurance, and get washed away, well, I'm sorry for them but it isn't the government's responsibility unless it is immensely devastating (which it was).
D) The government only gets involved when the Governor requests it. It's called States Rights - we fought a battle about 150 years ago. Maybe you should look it up. The Louisiana Governor didn't ask for help until a couple of days after New Orleans flooded - and he didn't ask for help. He complained that the US government wasn't doing enough. Um, hello? Dumbass? You have to ask first. Remember? That's why your State succeeded from the Union 150 years ago. genius...

Nobody's asking you to raise a finger. And thanks to this wonderful invention called the Internet, you're allowed to spew forth your ignorant point of view. But please, if you're going to post this kind of drivel (and I'm saying this to everyone not Rocky in particular), please at least have a portion of a clue about what you're talking about.

Fossil Records said:
So let's ban people from living within 125 miles of all coastline from New York City to Corpus Christi. Oh, and all of Florida. Let's see, that would include: San Antonio, Houston, Shreveport, Gulfport, Jackson, Mobile, Montgomerey, Columbus, Augusta, Charleston, Charlotte, Greensboro, Portsmouth, Richmond, oh and don't forget Washington DC. You're talking about moving 100 MILLION PEOPLE just because there's a chance that a hurricane will hit some time in the future.

I agree that if you are going to live in these areas you should be responsible for yourself - be insured and be ready to leave or die. You do realize that living in Chicago you're within reach of the New Madrid faultline? It's supposed to fail ANY TIME - and catastrophically so. So if it fails, are we supposed to say Rocky deserved to lose everything because it was "NOT A FUCKING SURPRISE!!!!!"?? And that, by saying that, we're showing "absolute compassion"???? No.

I live just outside of Alton which was flooded by the 100 Year Flood that you referred to above.

A) The people who live on the river who were wiped out are typically less fortunate than us which is why they buy the less expensive land down by the river. And if that parcel of land ends up being the ONLY thing left that they own and noone else will buy it, what are they supposed to do? If the government is supposed to buy all that land then you'll have millions of people up in arms (and people like you on this board) crying, "Why are my taxes going to pay for worthless land!?!?" Oh, and it isn't every 2 years...
B) The Army Corps of Engineers built levees to protect the areas most prone to flooding. Several of those levees failed - a few were blown up by dumbasses. One problem of building levees is that the water HAS to go SOMEWHERE. So places that had never flooded before FLOODED.
C) All of us are required to carry flood insurance. Even though I live 100 feet
up in the bluffs I STILL have to carry flood insurance. Trust me, if my house ever flooded because of the river, all of St. Louis would be underwater first... If people decide to live on the river, refuse to carry flood insurance, and get washed away, well, I'm sorry for them but it isn't the government's responsibility unless it is immensely devastating (which it was).
D) The government only gets involved when the Governor requests it. It's called States Rights - we fought a battle about 150 years ago. Maybe you should look it up. The Louisiana Governor didn't ask for help until a couple of days after New Orleans flooded - and he didn't ask for help. He complained that the US government wasn't doing enough. Um, hello? Dumbass? You have to ask first. Remember? That's why your State succeeded from the Union 150 years ago. genius...

Nobody's asking you to raise a finger. And thanks to this wonderful invention called the Internet, you're allowed to spew forth your ignorant point of view. But please, if you're going to post this kind of drivel (and I'm saying this to everyone not Rocky in particular), please at least have a portion of a clue about what you're talking about.

you're a moron. you completely took the point i was making and twisted it into something completely unrelated. but thanks for the history lesson buddy. im surprised you even have internet access in alton... im sorry if this whole catastrophe was a surprise to you, but it wasnt to me. i have friends and family who live in louisana, and the smart ones knew it would happen eventually, and the dumb ones are still trying to figure out how this all happened. once again, you clearly didnt read what i said because the main focus was a proactive approach to problems like this. typical american attitude though, wait until shit happens then spend 10x the money fixing it, rather than planning ahead and lightening the blow.

rockyracoon said:
you're a moron. you completely took the point i was making and twisted it into something completely unrelated. but thanks for the history lesson buddy. im surprised you even have internet access in alton... im sorry if this whole catastrophe was a surprise to you, but it wasnt to me. i have friends and family who live in louisana, and the smart ones knew it would happen eventually, and the dumb ones are still trying to figure out how this all happened. once again, you clearly didnt read what i said because the main focus was a proactive approach to problems like this. typical american attitude though, wait until shit happens then spend 10x the money fixing it, rather than planning ahead and lightening the blow.

Actually, no. I took your point and pointed out its fallacies.

And what does "im surprised you even have internet access in alton..." mean? I don't live in Alton and never said I lived in Alton. I live "outside" of Alton which is relevant because Alton was hit hard by the 100 Year Flood (I guess you have a problem reading as well as writing). Alton is a suburb of St. Louis. Yeah, we have internet access. We have electricity to. Hell, people in the backwater of China have internet access.

No, the hurricane wasn't a surprise. Anyone that has a television (yeah, we have one of those to) knows it was coming. You're just being an elitist prick trying to say - in a convoluted way - that they get what's coming to them.

Oh, and I love your use of punctuation and capitalization - or lack thereof. And yet I'M the moron...

The whole point of my original reply was to point out that your whole post was insensitive, erroneous, and pointless. But instead of attempting to point out what aspects I misunderstood, you've lowered yourself even further with your reply. Great job! :wave:

Fossil Records said:
Have you ever actually used a $75 toilet seat? It's a thing of beauty! :D
Yes! Somebody who knows that $75 toilet seats really ARE THAT GOOD! I'm NOT CRAZY!!!!! Fossil Records, you just made my Cool List!!!!!

ptah knemu said:
Yes! Somebody who knows that $75 toilet seats really ARE THAT GOOD! I'm NOT CRAZY!!!!! Fossil Records, you just made my Cool List!!!!!

:D Okay, not to totally hijack this thread, but have you seen the soft heated toilet seats that pump out perfume, warm air, AND wash your bum? I bet they're a few hundred bucks...

Oh, and check out the domain name. :p

http://www.cleanbutt.com/Index.htm

Ahhhh.... the sweet, sweet smell of American ingenuity...