Idea for a supplement to the GMD Yearly Polls

Is this a good idea?

• Total voters

Vegard Pompey

ALLY TO GOOD, NIGHTMARE TO YOU
Feb 26, 2008
Duwang
So I was in the process of updating the RYM list with the last four years (it's gonna take me a while) and it occurred to me that it would be neat to have a huge playlist with one song from every album in chronological order, like a highlight reel of 37 years of metal. I had the idea then to do a series of polls to determine the community's favorite track from the highest-scoring albums of each year. Doing every ranked album would be too much I think, because I'm not sure many people would vote in a Quicksand Dream poll. So I would probably do every album above a certain point threshold, like say 50 points (which would place albums like "Brave New World" and "Hail to England" right above the cutoff).

Some specifics on how this would work;
  • We'd just vote for the best song. No rankings, no song survivors or anything like that.
  • I would host these polls.
  • Since we're already inundated with forum games, I'd do these polls at a lax pace, say one or two a week. I'd also leave them open for at least a couple weeks.
  • Albums that don't have discrete songs (like "Crimson", not that it made the list anyway) would be skipped, as would albums with 40 1-minute songs or something stupid like that.
What do you think?