Kerbenok - German (BM)

Reign in Acai

Of Elephant and Man
Jun 25, 2003
Favela of My Dismay
In to the woods we are quiescently set at ease by the lull of a flute that patters upon the forest floor. We voyage deeper towards the source only to find the epicenter of our predestined destruction, swiftly dispatched by the thunderous roar of a guitar forged from the firey waters of Rob Darken's jacuzzi, given on loan to the horde known as Kerbenok to institute their agenda of nature worship. What we have here is primarily mid-tempo black metal that keeps the listener interestedly on edge with the permutation of acoustic interludes as well as sanguineously violent tremelo displayed in it's most feral form. Up, down, in between, these Krauts know how to "clown on her", and the "she" being referenced to is your ears. A song such as Hardangervidda would not feel out of place in Negura Bunget's OM. A simply beautiful blend of acoustics, distortion, drum-work, and discanting female vocals whose melodious touch sold me at first note. Their first full-length "O" was released just last week via Northern Silence. Join me in an RC circlejerk.

http://www.myspace.com/kerbenokmusikk

it's so fucking stupid when german bands write songs in norwegian about places in norwegian nature

Eh, only two song titles are in Nordic script. Perhaps, one of the members is of Norwegian ancestry? Whatever the case may be, these lads are a sonic truffle.

Hey I was just about to write a reco for O :)
deeply exciting album, that. Some typical Teutonic forest BM with an endless basket of progressive and atmospheric twists. A weird listen at times, but the rewards are plenty. This is both totally earthbound and dark as rain on stone in a Negura-like fashion, and always looking for something lurking beyond the boundaries of extreme metal, yet never in a "hey look we're being clever and oh so original" sense. Beautiful evening, I've just discovered two albums I'll certainly end up buying and loving to no end. I'll recommend the other one then, later.