Little reflection about saturation/distortion plugins/hardware and use

Mikaël-ange

Nov 7, 2008
Just want to hear about your approach with saturation plugin, or hardware for see if I'm totally crazy or not.:)

First off, I always mix with Heat across every tracks. Love it and can't live without.
But now I find myself using more and more saturation/distortion plugins on individual track, on top of Heat.
Really digging using Massey tapehead with decapitator on top of Heat for kick, snare and bass guitar for example.
I also started to use digi lofi plugin not for lofi ing track but more for add harmonic distortion and crunchiness to some track like lead vocal (switching between lofi, sansamp or my ts for that). This coupled with Heat and decapitator work great imho.

Wonder if you guys often use staged saturation or if anyone only use Heat/VCC/Nebula and stick with it?

Let's share your experiences;)

Variety Of Sound has a lot of analog emulation plugins. As far as I know, all of their plugins are made to sound like analog equipment, but they do have tape dynamics and saturation plugins. I use the tape dynamic plugins on just about every bus, and the distortion/saturation plugins I'll use depending on the instrument, just because it can be a little too distorted if you use it too much.