Looking for some advice, production wise.

tr3nt

May 28, 2009
Hey guys, I heard about this forum from another website and I thought I'd check it out. Just wondering if you could give me some tips or tell me what I'm doing wrong in recording, I know we're not metal, and this is a metal forum, but I'm just hanging around in the production tips part. Thanks & Godbless.

www.myspace.com/hotfuzzaudio

what I use to record;

Mackie Onyx Satellite
Tracktion 2 software
EZdrummer
a Shure SM57, and a Audio Technica AT3035 for vocals.
Gibson SG, Mesa Boogie Roadster-Orange PPC212 cab.

Sentimental Symphony
Song:
  • Yes! The whole performance comes very honest and emotional. Very good.
  • Very nice tune, also! I really like it!
Performance
  • The guitar-playing is a bit off the beat, but I find that is OK for this kind of song.
  • The vocals are not really in tune, but are very emotional, so be it.
Mix:
Guitars:
  • I find them a bit muddy and middy, so: high pass them as high as you can (go upt to 400 Hz and hear what it sounds like).
  • Also I would add some high end shine to them. Grab a high shelf filter and begin to add something from 5 to 8 KHz.
Vocals:
  • The vocals have a very cool texture.
  • The mic distance seems to vary, is that true? If yes, compress even more.
  • Compress! Compress the hell out of the vocals to make them even more intimate! A 1176LN would do the job here nicely.
  • Gate! There's some background noise on the vocal track that needs to be gated. But be careful, gating can destroy a track!
I would love to do a mix of this song for you, if you would post the individual tracks.

Sentimental Symphony
Song:
  • Yes! The whole performance comes very honest and emotional. Very good.
  • Very nice tune, also! I really like it!
Performance
  • The guitar-playing is a bit off the beat, but I find that is OK for this kind of song.
  • The vocals are not really in tune, but are very emotional, so be it.
Mix:
Guitars:
  • I find them a bit muddy and middy, so: high pass them as high as you can (go upt to 400 Hz and hear what it sounds like).
  • Also I would add some high end shine to them. Grab a high shelf filter and begin to add something from 5 to 8 KHz.
Vocals:
  • The vocals have a very cool texture.
  • The mic distance seems to vary, is that true? If yes, compress even more.
  • Compress! Compress the hell out of the vocals to make them even more intimate! A 1176LN would do the job here nicely.
  • Gate! There's some background noise on the vocal track that needs to be gated. But be careful, gating can destroy a track!
I would love to do a mix of this song for you, if you would post the individual tracks.

We did that after school quick one day, he has finished writing it with a bassline, mellow backround drums, and a trumpet part, we're probably going to record it this weekend.. WITH a click track this time :p

Thanks for all the positive comments too. I thought I would be told to get out because our music is anything but metal.

Edit; What did you mean using a 1176LN would be nice? I googled it and it's a $1600 compressor :p, I wish I had that money haha.

I'm actually wondering the most on how to get your final stereo track loud enough. I usually throw a compressor on my final track and I can pump a bit more volume out but it's still not loud enough. Am I supposed to use a limiter or something? Anyone know any good vst addons or plugins I can get that will help me out?