Mic check

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Yesterday i went to set up to do some recording, i did everything that i do all the time. but for some reason my vocal mic(SP B1) was getting this 3 sec. delay, and for the life of me i couldn't figure it out. i removed and reinstalled the drivers to my M-Audio firewire 410, and the same. i was going through mic cables and nothing i even set up an external mic preamp to see if that would help, and no. i messed with this problem for an hour, cause i knew my B1 was ok. then i said ok let me plug in a sm57 and it worked fine...do latency what so ever. so after almost throwing away a bunch of mic cables and ditching my firewire 410, it turned out that my B1 took a shit. what a waiste of almost two hours. Well now i am i the market for a new vocal mic. the B1 i got new for $50.00 at guitar center, it was part of a package that came with a preamp but the preamp didn't work so they gave me the mic for cheap. i had it for three years and i did some good recordings with it. I am either gonna get another one or I'm gonna step up to a AT or a Shure LDC,
What are your experiences with either of those mics?

Latency from a mic!? Did you try another condensor to see if it isn't the phantom power, though it would be weird if it is.

Latency from a mic!? Did you try another condensor to see if it isn't the phantom power, though it would be weird if it is.

Yes I tried to different MIC pres and same problem and it wasn't like a delay as sound, I would tap and MIC check and I wasn't getting any sound but I noticed after I tapped the meters didn't move till 2 to 3 seconds later.