Mix/master for vinyl only?

utak666

New Metal Member
Oct 24, 2007
Finland
Hey. It seems I`m about to record/mix/master song released on vinyl only. What should I do different compared to cd version? Bitrates? Loudness? Nothing?

Well, let`s put it this way: What I deffinitely shouldn`t do? (Since I won`t become a vinyl expert during this session...).

Any advice will help.

Like zirkonflex said, less loudness is the main thing. Then you have to make sure most if not all of your bass frequencies are in mono as this can cause a problem when cutting the vinyl making the needle jump out, so make sure your low-end is pretty tight and not all over the place

Like zirkonflex said, less loudness is the main thing. Then you have to make sure most if not all of your bass frequencies are in mono as this can cause a problem when cutting the vinyl making the needle jump out, so make sure your low-end is pretty tight and not all over the place

That`s good to know. Thanks.

In general you should probably go a lighter on the bass then you might usually, everything a little less wide, and of course less loud. I would get an experienced person to do the mastering if possible, perhaps the place that will cut the vinyl does it?