MXR M80 Bass DI +

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
Anyone here used one? I´m looking for a pedal that can double as a distortion when I need it, but also a cool pre-amp/Eq/DI to use either in conjuction with my amp (Peavey Firebass 700 + 2x10 custom cab) or to send straight to PA depending on the situation. After some research here, on Talkbass, google, and even checking the samples on Thomann, I´m close to the conclusion that the Bass DI + is the best of my options currently.

Obviously the Sansamp BDDI comes to mind as well, but judging by millions of clips I´ve heard of it (cause simply the thomann clips don´t seem 100% reliable to me cause you don´t really know what those DIs are going through) I prefer the general "preamp" sound of the MXR, plus according to my research the mxr can also do some heavy distortion quite well, whereas the sansamp apparently fails at high gain situations. This is all based on research but not actual testing though, there´s no big local music shops where I could go and test stuff here, so I´m trying to look into it as much as possible before having to go through the hassle of taking it back if I´m not satisfied or whatever.

FTR, I am happy with the tone of my amp, I just want mainly the option of an overdrive plus a little more variety in tone depending on what I´m playing, plus the DI out is a cool extra. My amp also has a DI out, but I normally send that to my drummer for his headphone monitors so an extra one to send to PA is cool.

I have one and it's great.

I honestly cannot say I've compared it to a BDDI myself, but I did my research before buying the MXR.

Honestly, what sold me on the MXR is the added versatility of having two channels. The clean is really nice and the "color" button adds a nice tonality, and the distortion channel's pretty pissed-off-sounding. That... and the fact that it's a few bucks cheaper than the BDDI, haha.

I personally got it thinking I'd have more use for it as a live tool than for recording, but it's actually nice to use in a recording situation.

I made this clip literally 5 minutes after I got it. There's a speaker sim, some EQ, and some compression, but it's not really something I spent all that much time on. While it's nothing to go "WOW" about, I feel it kinda shows its potential: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/315457/m80 rex bass.mp3

I have the sansamp programmable BDDI and many times I've debated selling it but some days it sounds awesome. The bass and it's eq options make a huge difference on what you get out of the BDDI. For me it sounds best with the bass eq flat but without the sansamp my bass sounds better with treble and bass boosted and mids flat. My bass is a Sterling Ray34 if you're wondering.

The BDDI sounds good through my little ampeg and in headphones through my interface but sounds like crap in my monitors! very frustrating.

I think Ermin has the mxr.

Also check out the Aguilar Agro. There's a video demo of it with the dude from Dub Trio, pretty awesome.

Some of those clips of the Agro sound great, some I don´t really like, but that´s just proof it can vary a lot depending on the bass/settings which is a positive thing. Thing is, I´m looking for a preamp/DI solution besides the overdrive. The Tone Hammer I´ve also read and heard a lot about, and apparently it doesn´t do overdrive, but I guess mixing both an Agro and a Tone Hammer sounds like it would work. Still though, I´m a bit more inclined towards the Mxr because of the preamp tone, and it´s an all-in-one solution, plus it even has a paralell output besides the normal and DI outputs, super versatile for live and studio use.

About the Sansamp, I agree with you it depends a lot on the bass, and it makes sense it sounds better with your active Eq flat than scooped because the bddi tends to have a weird scoop to it by itself, so scooping before it would only exagerate it.

May be recording (ghetto recording :rofl:) a stoner rock band soon using this very pedal. I really dig it, as does the bass player who is gonna be using it. The Color button is "instant good bass tone", but you can't shape it further with the EQ, and I'm unsure if it works with the distortion engaged.

Either way, it's pretty mean sounding, and has a VERY versatile EQ :)

I haven't used the MXR personally, but it has been recommended a fair bit. Two things going for it are that it only costs 2/3rds what the BDDI costs ($140 vs $200 in US), and that it has a Mid knob for EQ. It really bothers me that the BDDI doesn't have a Mid knob.

hey Hugo, that sounds nice! Sounds better than most Sansamp clips I´ve heard, thanks! (You told me to call you Hugo so I did hahha)
Thanks, haha!

I really like the M 80's capabilities myself compared to the BDDI.

Two absolutely useable channels. A mid knob. Reasonable price-tag. You could argue that the BDDI does the Ampeg-ish kinda deal a bit better, but the MXR's distortion channel doesn't really sound worse, just different. More pissed off.

I actually run mine like a preamp since it's on all the time for live use. I just toggle between the clean and distortion channels. My amp is kinda solid, but not all that impressive (Ampeg BA-115), so the MXR really gives my tone a nice edge.

M80 has been used on latest Decapitated album and I'm not sure but it was also used by Meshuggah in the past.
I waiting till my band's bassist buy this thing :p
Seems to be a great deal

A shamefully overlooked pedal is the sansamp VT bass. It doesn't at all do what the Bass Driver does.

It's almost like an amp modeler. You can pull a ton of really different tones out of it and it has has a fatter, more thickly voiced distortion that the BDDI. Check out the site and the reviews.

It's a bit of a one-trick pony, but it does what it does well. We used it on the Feared, Orpheus & Naberus records. I normally use it mostly for the fuzz-distortion, and blend it with the PSA-1 for clunk/clarity. Been meaning to ditch it in favor of a Dual Rec for bass though.

I've set these videos to start at places where you can kinda hear the bass better, but the forum doesn't like that, so I'll give you the times:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIhOPyUbmQ0&hd=1&t=1m41s[/ame]

1:42

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkjVovCJPlA&hd=1&t=3m29s[/ame]

3:26

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4PZv6TMQfA&hd=1&t=46s[/ame]

0:46

A shamefully overlooked pedal is the sansamp VT bass. It doesn't at all do what the Bass Driver does.

It's almost like an amp modeler. You can pull a ton of really different tones out of it and it has has a fatter, more thickly voiced distortion that the BDDI. Check out the site and the reviews.

It certainly is mentioned a lot in talkbass, many people insist it´s almost like an "SVT in a pedal", the closest you could get to that classic ampeg Svt sound without actually buying one. I´m still not sure if that kind of tone is exactly what I´m looking for though, but it certainly has a great rep amongst the bassist elite.

Hey Ermin I hadn´t noticed you edited your post with clips, thanks a lot for those clips, I like how it can really distort and not sound like shit. Have you ever tried for its preamp capabilites instead of distorsion? Cause so far I´ve heard the Eq can be quite versatile, but even if it is a one-trick pony, I guess along with my amp, the preamp section and the distorsion I can have a "three-trick pony" which would be enough for now haha

I used to have one and it got some pretty decent tones and the price is right, but I would agree it's a bit of a one trick pony. But if that trick works for you then that's what counts! These days I'm looking more towards the Darkgalss B7k or the AMT BC-1 though.