Need advice on a freeware music notion/score program.

rickfugue

May 26, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Hi all! I need help with finding a freeware music notation program that is relatively comprehensive as far as dynamic engraving possibilities but also plays them back that way as well. Basically I have Sibelius 6 and it is great but it is on a comp whose hard drive has failed and I am waiting to get a new one and have my files backed up. I do not need anything that sounds great just something that allows me to engrave dynamics and hairpins, crescendos/decrescendos, and plays them back as well. I have musescore
and that actually is pretty fantastic for being freeware but it does not play
back hairpins, dynamic directions yes, but those no. I know how to do that with automation but that takes forever and kills any spontaneous writing I
might do. Am I asking too much? Even the new Gpro does not do it. Plz help :Spin:

Now I'm not sure if this is even still around (or if so, what the current version is like) but years and years ago, before getting Guitar Pro, I used a freeware program called Powertab. Remember it being really good - scoring looked pretty old-school though

As far as freeware goes Musescore is probably the best your going to get.

TuxGuitar:
http://tuxguitar.herac.com.ar/

Is very similar to guitar pro without all the RSE crap. It will play back dynamics properly, but you'll have a hard time using it to create decent scores. With it being guitar orientated it doesn't to diminuendos either. Bouncing the MIDI between Musescore and TuxGuitar could be helpful, but it's a shoddy solution compared to Sibelius.