Orange RV50, Tama Starclassic, mix for my bands demo, needs help

Willvilla

New Metal Member
Feb 3, 2010
So I am currently recording tracks for my bands demo using the following equipment -

Guitars - Ibanez RG> Metal Muff> Orange RV50> SM57

Bass - LTD> Direct, 1 track high distorted, and 1 low-end

Drums - Tama Starclassic>2 Superlux condensors for overheads
1 SM57 on Snare, top.
1 Shure Beta 52A for kick
1 SM57 for the two hi toms
1 SM57 for floor tom
> then all drum tracks went into a Yamaha MG16 Mixer, then into a Lexicon Lambda interface. Interface only has 2 inputs for stereo mix on drums.

I went through and found every kick transient, and with a new track, blended a kick sample to bring it up in the mix a bit better.

I could use some input and advice for this mix!

Below is an opener track with no vocals. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay made some changes to the mix. Let me know if anything should be added or changed. Thanks

Okay here is the second song I've been working on. This one has vocals added. It's all real drums this time, no sample replacement, although I feel it may need the kick replaced. I could really use some input on this, thanks!

Hey man not too shabby! I would work on maybe lowering or at least "un-brightening" the overheads, sample the snare and toms, and EQ that guitar tone a bit more. The guitar tone sounds good, but I think you could get it to sit in the mix a bit better.

This mix actually has some really cool character to it, well done man.

Im only listening on laptop speakers, I'll check it when I'm home

Thanks dudes! I was going for a rawish death metal feel to it. Thanks for those suggestions. I'll focus on making those changes to guitars and oh's and repost!

okay, here is a song the band is actually happy with - I think it sounds alright, but I'd like some more opinions on how it could be better, thanks!

Also, I switched to using a pair of AT4040s for the over heads this time for a more natural sound, blended a bit of sample to the snare and replaced the kicks.