Pete, do you use EMG85's in the bridge of all your guitars?

I usually use an EMG 81 in the bridge amd an S or SA in the neck. I have Duncans in my Framus guitars which sound good but I have yet to record with them and a Dimarzio Fred in my 17th Street which sounds good for certain things as well. But the 81 is my main pickup.

ihave27frets said:
I usually use an EMG 81 in the bridge amd an S or SA in the neck. I have Duncans in my Framus guitars which sound good but I have yet to record with them and a Dimarzio Fred in my 17th Street which sounds good for certain things as well. But the 81 is my main pickup.

Ah, good deal. I was just wondering since the Horus you sold me has an 85, and now I love that pickup! :D

EDIT: Have you ever tried that 18 volt EMG mod? I've heard it makes EMG's sound even meaner, adds more chug, and even makes the clean tones better.

Mark_Palangio said:
Ah, good deal. I was just wondering since the Horus you sold me has an 85, and now I love that pickup! :D

EDIT: Have you ever tried that 18 volt EMG mod? I've heard it makes EMG's sound even meaner, adds more chug, and even makes the clean tones better.

I was thinking of trying it out on one of my guitars and seeing what is was like. Seems like it makes sense.

Nebulous said:
Is there much of a difference in the tonal characteristics between the 81 and 85?

The 81 is brighter as to where the 85 is warmer, they both sound good...just different.

ihave27frets said:
I was thinking of trying it out on one of my guitars and seeing what is was like. Seems like it makes sense.

Yeah, it does, I just don't want to change the sound that I already like. I suppose it would be easy enough to change it back though.

hey pete,

i´m a proud owner of an horus deep sea.
hopefully it´s not my last caparison (but that´s a question of money)
so i´m wondering what sound differnce the caparison dellinger model would deliver compared to the horus.

thanks for taking time...
and i hope to see you in good old germany sometime

causeddevil said:
hey pete,

i´m a proud owner of an horus deep sea.
hopefully it´s not my last caparison (but that´s a question of money)
so i´m wondering what sound differnce the caparison dellinger model would deliver compared to the horus.

thanks for taking time...
and i hope to see you in good old germany sometime

Congrats on the guitar:headbang:

The Dellinger and the Horus sound pretty much the same tonally, they are both mahogany and pretty much the same weight. The pickups are a bit different, the Horus comes w/ a BH-RII in the bridge which sounds very warm and the Dellinger has a PH-R in the bridge is a but brighter w/ a bit more edge. Hope That helps:)