Plugging a pre-amp into the Fx loop

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
In my case it's my bass V-amp, don't know if the same issue happens with other gear.

the thing is, I plug the v-amp into the return of the fx loop on any amp I rehearse or gig with, so i can bypass all the pre-amp section of the amp and only use the power amp section. But this also bypasses the volume (or postgain in peavey amps) knob, and even if I crank the volume and gain levels in the v-amp (which tone-wise is not what I want, cranking the pre-gain changes my sound obviously) it never gets as loud as if putting it through the normal input. So in my paramore cover rehearsals I have been pluggin the v-amp directly into the input of the fender bassman 100 the guitarrist (and owner of the rehearsla space) has, simply putting all eq knobs in the middle, and it sounds pretty good.

Do you normally do this? if not, how do you deal with the volume issue I suffer when plugging through the fx loop? or is this only happening to me?

Dunno man.I have the E530.Before i got my self a power-amp and a cab, i had a solid-state and i use to plug the E530 to the FX loop like you do.But the only control that was working on the SS was the master volume.Never came across something like your situation.

Dunno man.I have the E530.Before i got my self a power-amp and a cab, i had a solid-state and i use to plug the E530 to the FX loop like you do.But the only control that was working on the SS was the master volume. Never came across something like your situation.

On all amps I've tried (a few, maybe 4 or 5) the master volume knob doesn't affect the return of the fx loop, perhpas I've just been unlucky on that.

Put all the knobs at 0 but the middle knob put it 12 o'clock... Says Line6 according to some similiar cases..

I've done it with all Eq knobs at 12 oclock, which is 0 for Eqing (no adding, no cutting) so I don't really get what eq knobs at 0 and the mid at 12 o clock means, cause there's no "0 o clock". Don't know if you get what i mean, not sure if I did haha

On all amps I've tried (a few, maybe 4 or 5) the master volume knob doesn't affect the return of the fx loop, perhpas I've just been unlucky on that.

Or maybe i've been too lucky and my SS worked like that.......

Maybe you should get your self a cheap power amp........

I do the same thing with my podxt pro through the fx loop on my laney 1/2 stack. The ONLY thing that catches me off gaurd everytime (which is stupid because I should be expecting it) is that, like what you've mentioned, all of the controls on the laney are bypassed and the fx loops straight through the power amp section. So lets say I've found a nice clean preset and get it tuned the way I want and then scroll to the next preset.......BLAM.......the volume blasts the hell out of my amp, man :lol: I literally jumped the first couple times that happened. The pod's master volume is also bypassed and the channel/amp volume knob controls the master volume on my setup when its configured through the loop.
I used to have a v-amp pro for guitar and if I'm not entirely mistaken, I think I remember reading something about disabling the speaker sims if you're running it through a poweramp but thats been a couple years and my memory is a bit foggy, so sorry I'm not of much help.