Radial Xamp reverses phase?

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Today I reamped a di guitar track back through a di just to see how close the reamped signal would be to the original di track to check DA conversion. It was phase reversed to the original di.
This got me thinking that when the guitar signal should be pushing it is actually pulling the speaker. Reversing the phase on the di track prior to the reamp box seemed to give a punchier signal although maybe it was a "placebo effect" because I knew I had changed it. Does anyone know if this is phase reversed for any good reason?
Any opinions on this?
If you have a radial or other reamp box please check this and see if I am going mad:loco:

hmmmm interesting.

This is going to sound stupid but was the phase switch in or are you saying your box seems to be wired backwards (where it's phase flipped when phase switch is off)?

Mine is always totally in phase unless I push the button.....

I recently did a similar test, I reamped a DI track and a mic'd track back into the DAW to measure latency and compare the quality of reamped versus recorded. I didn't notice any phase reversal, just latency. The Firepod panel was set for 4ms and I measured 5ms and the waveforms looked spot on. You weren't using the Second output on the x-amp were you? That one does have phase a reversal button. I have never used that output.

My test was out of reamp box straight to di input on isa 828 and recorded into DAW. Zooming in on original di track and reamped di track they were 100% reverse phase. I used output 1 for the test which has no phase button. I am pretty sure I did everything right but thought I would check here before really trying to find out what was going on. I am in the studio tomorrow so I will double check this before the band arrives and report my findings tomorrow evening. Thanks for taking the time to respond guys. If you have the radial box and a few minutes to spare could you do the same test as I did (di track to Xamp to di) .
Michael

Sorry, I re-read my post and it may be a little unclear.

This is what I did:

Firepod Line Out>X-amp>Firepod Instrument/Mic in.

I used the Out-1 on the X-amp.

I did this with a Clean DI and then with a track that had already been recorded.

Could be an incorrectly wired XLR cable. Try a different one and see if its still phase reversed. If thats what it is then best mark that cable for future reference.

Thanks guys.
It was a reverse wired xlr!
I have been reamping an out of phase signal for the past few months:erk: