Reamping question...

plague_rider

Coffee
Nov 13, 2008
Newcastle
...regarding the basic theory behind reamping, is it a case of simply running a signal as shown below...??

Signal -->Reamp box (signal splits) --A-->Into interface via DI as clean
--B-->Into FX->Amp->Cab->Mic into interface

then allowing signal A to be sent out through an insert later if a new tone is needed...??

if this is the case, am i right in thinking that if i've recorded using revalver or guitar rig, that i in effect have tracks that can be reamped?? (so long as i follow the guidelines for prepping the tracks to be reamped)

i know i'm probably gonna get some abuse for such a n00bish question but i just wanted to clarify...

As long as you have a Di'd signal then you can re-amp. You don't have to record an amp tone or a sim or anything, all you need to record to be able to re amp later is the clean Di signal from the guitar

this reminds me, I was going to do a DI and reamp video tutorial.... But then I realized that everyone's gear/methods for doing it would differ greatly, so it would be pointless unless everyone owned and used what I used.... I may do it anyway just to give me something to do. At least that way anyone with A Firestudio, Reaper, and a Redeye will know what to do :)

awesome, thanks guys...

for the moment i've only been D.I.ing guitars and using a virtual amp, or going Direct from a head and using an impulse or two...

with what you guys have confirmed, i'm gonna try and use reamping at some point very soon...

http://faderwear.com/guides/re-amp.shtml

Recording_Method_1.gif

Recording_Method_2.gif

Re-Amping.gif

ok so another n00bish question, what part is the reamp box playing in that last section?? is it a preamp???

as you can all tell i have no clue with this stuff as of yet... but i do appreciate the help...

ok so another n00bish question, what part is the reamp box playing in that last section?? is it a preamp???

as you can all tell i have no clue with this stuff as of yet... but i do appreciate the help...

It's just changing the signal to what a guitar amp likes to see. In other words, the signal that comes out of the interface is 'incorrect' for the amp, so the reamp device 'changes' it via a transformer to the correct signal for the amp.

ah i see...

so in the way it changes it, is it signal processing or is it simply shaping the sound like a standard EQ??

i know this thread seems as difficult as teaching quantum physics to a drunk, but i do appreciate it...