Technique question?

espm1000

Jan 19, 2006
So, after listening to the countless bands that I do (At The Gates, The Absence, Carcass, and etc.) I have always wondered how they get the "chugging" across strings so fast. I simply can't do it at high speeds. Is it coming mainly from the wrist?

espm1000 said:
So, after listening to the countless bands that I do (At The Gates, The Absence, Carcass, and etc.) I have always wondered how they get the "chugging" across strings so fast. I simply can't do it at high speeds. Is it coming mainly from the wrist?

Palm muted alternate picking, it's mainly in the wrist IMO. Just keep practicing and it'll come over time. I'd be interested to hear what Pete has to say to improve that kind of fast riffing though.

Its a lot of picking technique, try string skipping excercises-single, double and multiple string skipping w/ varying patterns, this will help a lot. I'll try to post some examples to look at.

Brad Riffs said:
Do a lot of downpicking exercises. It helps out all round wrist performance.

...and BUY A METRONOME. It's a guitar players BEST learning utility.

This is great advice!

Brad Riffs said:
Do a lot of downpicking exercises. It helps out all round wrist performance.

...and BUY A METRONOME. It's a guitar players BEST learning utility.

I'm ahead of you on the metronome :-D I will start doing some downpicking exercises though. Last night I realized how hard it is to play on a 5 year old squier strat.

Bumping this up. Perhaps if you have a chance Pete could you post some of those examples? I was explaining to Patrick the other day that I had gotten over another elbow injury that included the tearing of ligaments in my picking elbow. Mixed martial arts is fun, but it hurts.

You wanna move your elbow as little as possible though. Using your wrist for movement will be cleaner and you'll have much more control over it :)