The Best and Worst of RPGs

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
'allo!

Just wondering what games/books you think would fit into the following categories:

Best Game (in terms of playability and fun):

Best Writing:

Best Adventure:

Best Artwork:

Worst Game (in terms of playability and fun):

Worst Writing:

Worst Adventure:

Worst Artwork:

My picks:

Best Game (in terms of playability and fun): Marvel Superheroes. The game so loosely defined everything, and everything used the same method of resolving every action ever, it was so easy just to jump in and start gaming. Character creation sucked and it was impossible to create a roughly same-powered group of characters under the system, but ah well. AD&D first edition scores high for this because it was so universally known that role players could meet by chance and start playing without a rulebook being within a mile of them.

Best Writing: Warhammer RPG. The Enemy Within campaign is some stellar writing, supplements for places like Middenheim and Marienburg set the stage perfectly and the atmosphere incredibly. The Doomstones series certainly created a sense of history for the characters to stumble into. And the characterizations are so good that reading Warhammer RPG game materials is like reading a novel, a story pops into your head immediately and you're imagining full dialogues that could happen once the characters get in the middle of things.

Best Adventure: Shadowrun's Universal Brotherhood. Halfway because the idea is damned cool, and halfway because they include a 'handout' (communications logs) that's a full novella on its own that does more to flesh out the world of Shadowrun than the rules and location sourcebooks ever did. The first cyberspace sourcebook (it was called something else) had the same effect because of the short story of the child who was only ever conscious online, he had no awareness of the 'real world', it did wonders for visualizing and explaining 'decking' to a world that was not aware of an internet at the time (this was 89-90). It would probably be pretty funny to revisit that sourcebook and all of the REALLY COOL computer images that were included that were representing the online experience of the future.

Best Artwork: Anything Denis Loubet did.

Worst Game (in terms of playability and fun): Champions had the fatal flaw of needing to roll sometimes 10 to 20 dice that had to be counted two separate ways, but a computer program got around that easily. Tri-Tac's system was pretty ugly (roll to hit... OK, now roll for damage... OK, see if you broke any bones... OK, see if you hit any arteries... OK, roll to see if you stubbed your toe or have an itch in your nose...)

Worst Writing: Star Frontiers. Does anyone to this day have any idea what that universe was like, or who decided that giant 10 legged bugs who shoot needles out of an enema nozzle would make for a good character? Same problem with the old Justifiers game. With no explanation you're a half man half animal creature in debt half a billion dollars to some mysterious authority who sends you on missions to hostile worlds to get eaten by the local flora and fauna, with no explanation of who, how, why, or when. I mean wtf. Hopefully the new version fixes that.

Worst Adventure: Against the Giants/Vault of the Drow/Queen of the Spiderwebs AD&D superdupermoduleseries. There was lots of good to it. It introduced and defined the Underdark concept. It showed (superficially) the cultures of a good half dozen non-human races. But it was one of the first adventure series' published, and the idea is that a small (3-10) group of characters is going to attack three different giant armies, march underground and challenge a Drow city, and travel to an evil, vile dimension and kill a god. Yeah, great precedents in gaming. The last adventure in the AD&D Bloodstone Pass series was pretty offensive as well, where the idea was you're 99th level hopping around the Abyss challenging demon gods on their home ground, tied by a weak thread to the plotline of the previous three modules on setting up a dominion in a dangerous yet lucrative mountain pass. Or how about that friggin Earthshaker adventure for D&D basic rules where a 500 foot tall Tin Man knockoff was stomping over the countryside?

Worst Artwork: GURPS, right around the time they released the first editions GURPS Supers and GURPS Magic. Oh god. I think we all know middle school kids who doodle with higher quality and more realism.

>> Best Game (in terms of playability and fun):

I'd have to go with D&D - but most of my gaming experience is derived from that one. I thought Traveller had a good system. Top Secret was a great down-and-dirty system, too (though it may have used the Traveller rules).

>> Best Writing:

Yeah, the Warhammer stuff is probably some of the best I've seen.

>> Best Adventure:

Ah damn - I can't think of it now... but we had a great time with that ancient D&D Giants module. Could be because we were so young, though.

>> Best Artwork:

I've always like Daniel Horne's stuff. Don't know if he's still around. Brom is cool, too.

A friend of mine, Michael Gaydos, has done alotta cool stuff for White Wolf.

>> Worst Game (in terms of playability and fun):

Lord... I can't really remember, we played so many back in the day. I seem to have bad memories of some Lovecraft game, but can't remember what it was called.

And Ravenloft sucked.

Me no likee insanity rules... makes for long, boring sessions of running around screaming.

>> Worst Writing:
>> Worst Adventure:
>> Worst Artwork:

Geez... I don't know. The stuff I hated I've forgotten (other than Ravenloft). Palladium has put out alotta stinky stuff though.

numbskull said:
Lord... I can't really remember, we played so many back in the day. I seem to have bad memories of some Lovecraft game, but can't remember what it was called..

Call of Cthulhu?

numbskull said:
>> Worst Writing:
>> Worst Adventure:
>> Worst Artwork:
Geez... I don't know. The stuff I hated I've forgotten (other than Ravenloft). Palladium has put out alotta stinky stuff though.

Only Palladium I could stomach was their Robotech and TMNT lines... pretty good stuff there as far as source material but combat tended to take forever (I have 43 attacks and 23 dodges, roll roll roll!)... hated the MDC vs SDC rules though... so there went Rifts... the Superheroes creation system was SO unbalanced and there were tons better systems for that besides Palladium... and their fantasy line was totally off the wall in a way that just 'normal' gaming was impossible there, if I remember...

Best Game (in terms of playability and fun):

Best Writing: Call of Cthulhu by Chaosium. This is one game in which, when you bought a supplement, you were buying something damned well decent and worth the price. This has only gotten more so with age. In the past 10 years, CoC gaming supplements have won tons of awards. How do they do it? Simply put, they <i>write</i>. When you buy a supplement from them [or even just the basic rulebook these days], you get chock-tons of information with a minimum of stat-splatting. Check out <i>Delta Green</i> and <i>Delta Green: Countdown</i> for examples.

Best Adventure: I am biased by my likes. I will give two for this category.
<i>Taroticum</i> for Kult. This horror game is generally regarded as one of the more horrific in the industry. Originally created by a bunch of Swedes, it has now been taken over after its death by a French company. Reading through it is like walking through a landscape done by Heironymous Bosch, Gnostic philosophers, David Cronenberg, Clive Barker, and many Italian horror movies. The adventure itself is a grand scheme that takes your characters into the heart of madness, the lore of passion, and the defiance of a minion who seeks to control the whole of reality with a tarot deck that defines the reality. Beautifully done.
<i>Beyond The Mountains of Madness</i> for Call of Cthulhu. An epic campaign concerning the Miskatonic University's return to Antartica in 1936-1937. The book is a whopping 437 pages and covers two years of game time. As usual, it's chock-full of information and only contains as many stats as needed. Take Carpenter's "The Thing", throw in some more isolationist horror and the finding of dead civilizations and have a field day.

Best Artwork: I have to admit I am not a huge fan of artwork in RPGs; I'm generally too busy reading the text. However, I would have to say that the art of Guy Davis is my preference. Besides the comics he has done [like <i>Nevermen</i> and <i>Baker Street</i>], he has done a good amount of work for White Wolf, Holistic Design, and sundry other gaming companies.

Worst Game (in terms of playability and fun): HERO. You can do ANYTHING with the system, make any type of game that is required with it. It's more universal than GURPS and that says a lot.
However.
HOWEVER.
You need to have a good firm grasp of algebra to make a character and preferably a few years of calculus to get through a battle. Oh - make sure you have 45 minutes available for a single round as combat as well.
I'd rather play Rolemaster.

Worst Writing: Rifts by Palladium. The writing does not describe. Hardly any of the world. Just loads and loads of stats. And not only that. But the writing of Siembieda. Is nothing but sentence fragments and cliches.

Worst Adventure: That's a tough one. I'd have to say that the worst adventures I've ever seen were made for Palladium Rifts. See my above information on gobs o' stats and little/crappy writing.

Worst Artwork: Er......Some of the bargain basement drawings in Villains and Vigilantes might qualify for this. Like I said, I pay little attention to such.