US-2400 Kicks Ass

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
Alrhighty, if anyone remembers, I bought a Tascam US-2400 back in 2008 whilst deployed to sand land. When I got home, I found out it didn't work properly under Vista. So in the closet it went.

Well I decided to pull it out today and place it on the bay. Just to make sure it still powered on, I plugged it in. Low and behold, I noticed Vista recognized it as a US-2400.... So it got me thinking, maybe I should try it out. I did some searching first, and seems like no one could get it working under Windows 7 either. I opened Reaper, set the controller properties for it, and guess what? It works great.

The moral of my story is, if you are looking for a control surface, grab one of these now. Once people find out they work in Windows 7, the price will go back up(I paid $750 for mine used, I saw one sell the other day on the bay for $500).

Playing automated ping pong ball mover with the faders is fun.

I was just checking these out yesterday. Otherwise I would probably hunt one down in an instant (God only knows how I would pay for it, though), but the lack of displays is a big turn-off for me. If it had small LCD's to indicate track names and parameters it would be a perfect controller for me.

i don't know why anyone else(or tascam again) can't make something like this again for around the same price these were new($1200 or so)

They didn't sell well. Although seeing how many people go for the PT ones, I think they should start making them again. Just playing around with it today has made me wonder how I used a mouse for so long. The moving faders is an excellent touch.

but the lack of displays is a big turn-off for me. If it had small LCD's to indicate track names and parameters it would be a perfect controller for me.

Yeah I thought about this also. But I think that the old school fader tape at the bottom will work for me. I usually lay things out the same every time anyway. It does have LED meters(the pan knob LEDs are just used as a meter instead) but I don't know how accurate they are.