What guitar cables are yu guys using?

^Why don't they run a signal through and take a snap on a scope or even a sweep through a reamp box into the same pre/converter setup and overlay the results. That'll give something interesting to look at and a empirical reason to choose one over the other. Rather than "This one sounded good enough to eat."

Kev when i wrote this thread i was wondering if you would chime in with your elixir cable :) :) because when i was researching i found you on a lot of threads posting about it and you also mentionned you had a shooutout but i couldnt find it! So i guess your still liking it to this day :)

Hey dude, yep absolutely! The difference felt like going to a better DI box for me, more responsive and perhaps carried a little more higher end. Its definitely more of a feel thing which you can tell straight away, but you can hear it a bit here too on the palm mutes.

Fender: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Fender vs Elxir/Fender.mp3

Elixir: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Fender vs Elxir/Elixir.mp3

For months I've been trying to figure out why no matter what I do my sound is harsh and nasal (to the point where I ordered new pickups).

Reading this thread made me realise that my cheapass cables are probably the culprit. I'm going to order myself some Sommer cables for my guitar > amp connection, so thank you for the eureka moment!

I noticed that the shortest Sommer cables on thomann are 30 cm. Any recommendations for shorter rack patch cables? Around 10 cm probably. I figure that if I replace all my cheapass cables that should help significantly.

Also, recommendations for speaker cabling? Does it matter as much?

Mogami w/Neutriks and evidence audio - monorail.
Here's a link you could be interested in. A cable shootout.
http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2008/Jun/Guitar_Cable_Roundup_Part_Two_Page_2.aspx

Thanks for the input man! Mogami with neutriks are probably gonna be my choice for rewiring my entire rack when i get the cash!

for those interested here is an evidence audio cable shootout i just found..

EDIT: i forgot to answer you about the premierguitar link: thanks a lot man, found this a while ago but it confused me even more haha, if only you could hear them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey dude, yep absolutely! The difference felt like going to a better DI box for me, more responsive and perhaps carried a little more higher end. Its definitely more of a feel thing which you can tell straight away, but you can hear it a bit here too on the palm mutes.

Fender: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Fender vs Elxir/Fender.mp3

Elixir: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1206505/Fender vs Elxir/Elixir.mp3

Cool! thanks for the links man!!! Yes the fender cable definitely sounds "thinner" as well. Not in terms of low end, but it sounds like a battery is running low somwhere :)

For months I've been trying to figure out why no matter what I do my sound is harsh and nasal (to the point where I ordered new pickups).

Reading this thread made me realise that my cheapass cables are probably the culprit. I'm going to order myself some Sommer cables for my guitar > amp connection, so thank you for the eureka moment!

I noticed that the shortest Sommer cables on thomann are 30 cm. Any recommendations for shorter rack patch cables? Around 10 cm probably. I figure that if I replace all my cheapass cables that should help significantly.

Also, recommendations for speaker cabling? Does it matter as much?

Hey Mark!! Glad to hear that gluck man! been trying out a few cables and sometimes it sounds like you "changed pickups" haha. No but seriously it just takes a whole different character. still not sure what to get though so ill buy several ones when i get the chance and try them out.

As to the speaker cable i had the same question as you and i researched here and someone was talking about an experiment they conducted with audio.. you know what ill just look it up and send you the link haha basically it doesnt make a difference so i tried it too but i couldnt hear a single difference (very cheap vs good cable) but what amazes me is that some people who i generally trust have been swearing by the siren II cable (same ones turning me on the evidence audio) and that is really hard for me to beleive. That same guy at evidence audio sells something for your power that will make you sound so much better but it seems to me that some people are forgetting that in the end you just plug into the wall socket of your house so i donno. I really dont want to dismiss it all as a "hyped" company because again some people i trust swear by its cables but the siren II i think im gonna just buy when i have the money only to clear this issue in my head once and for all because so far my experience has been that the speaker cable doesnt make a difference

In sound of course but the thickness/quality/reliability matters especially depending on how long you run it if the cab is not in the same room. will be back tonight with the link and people are waiting for me so i hope i didnt speak nonself as i dont have time to read haha

Cheers!

Monster sucks, even with the warranty haha.
I use Livewire Elite. Got two gold tip 25' cables for $50 each, and they have yet to fail me. They also dont get coiled up near as easily either. Lifetime warranty too. AND they sound great.

I use, and have been using for the last couple of years, the gold tipped Planet Waves ones with compression springs. For some strange reason I feel that they always sound a TINY bit better then every other cable I've ever tried. Might just be me though :lol:

Live Wire Elite here.
I don't believe all the hype about X cable better that Y cable when It comes to Frequency response. You would have to have extreme amount cable length,inductance or capacitance in a cable to have to an effect on frequency response. I would be more worried about RF noise(Like in the Monster Standard 100 cables). reliability,and quality in a cable is more important for me. For those that really want to know for good, try doing some research on these formulas and plugging some numbers into them and then you will see just how Minute.
Fc=1/6.28*R*C for frequency response and XL=6.28*F*L for inductance.

Where:
6.28=2*Pi
Fc=Cut off Frequency (Low pass)
R=Resistance
C=Capacitance
and
F=frequency
XL=Inductance reactance in place of R.

I've experienced significant differences in output level with passive pickups and various different cables, actually. I've never measured the frequency response or gotten overly scientific about it (or worried about it as much with active EMGs) - the main thing is you want to buy good cable with good workmanship that will last for decades. If you solder your cables yourself, you'll get better materials for less money - you'll be in great hands with Mogami or Canare cable and Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors.

Eric Johnson can hear the difference between different metals of cable tips, as well as different brands of batteries in his pedals, blindfolded, with 100% accuracy according to his studio tech. There are differences, and the main question really is how much that difference matters to you.