What is the song Hexed about?

<Arcane>

Jan 21, 2007
Germany
www.youtube.com
So I'm sitting here with some of my friends, drinking some beer and listening to 90s powermetal.
My mom came in and asked me why we don't listen to HIM or Metallica anymore? She doesn't like the voice of most of the bands I listen to (except Him, Metallica and Manson).

Anyways, I aksed her if she knew that Bodom split up and she said "of course". You've told me that nearly 20 times. Whatever. We had a little diskussion about "good" music (in our eyes) and so on and then my friend asked her, if she had ever seen the music video for Hexed. So we watched it and she was totally impressed how good the song and the video was, but I couldn't tell her what's the song about. So I took a look at the lyrics but I still have no idea.

Any idea?

Just had a look at the lyrics and I can honestly say that I have no clue... For a second I thought it could be about an addiction (a curse), but the thematic of sorcery comes back again and again. So I see 3 possibilities:
1 - It's about something esoteric he read about (fairytales, legends, etc.).
2 - It's about a person esoteric experience.
3 - It's something his wife (who seems to genuinely believe she is a witch) inspired him.

So I'm sitting here with some of my friends, drinking some beer and listening to 90s powermetal.
My mom came in and asked me why we don't listen to HIM or Metallica anymore? She doesn't like the voice of most of the bands I listen to (except Him, Metallica and Manson).

Anyways, I aksed her if she knew that Bodom split up and she said "of course". You've told me that nearly 20 times. Whatever. We had a little diskussion about "good" music (in our eyes) and so on and then my friend asked her, if she had ever seen the music video for Hexed. So we watched it and she was totally impressed how good the song and the video was, but I couldn't tell her what's the song about. So I took a look at the lyrics but I still have no idea.

Any idea?

I speak spanish and this is hard to explain for me, i hope i make sense

The song is about love but in a particular way

Curse me once, shame on you: if you are close to a person for example a woman who is talented (grace) for singing, dancing w/e eventually you’ll fall for her, if she wants she’ll keep you hanging without giving you a chance until you break. It could be like Tarja - Tuomas

Hex me twice, shame on me: if you dont cut the bond with that person and fall again its your fault

Thats my idea

I watched the video before posting at 3:35 there is a tornado of souls like the Megadeth song, read those lyrics instead and youll get it

I´m sorry to say that but in my opinion its all about her and how she treats him. (fake love, exploiting and humiliation) .

Reactions: Szeptu Cha
Hard to think it's anything negative about Kelli since things seem to be very great for the two.
That "curse me once, shame on you, hex me twice, shame on me" line could be understood like, if someone treats you like shit (lies, or doesnt pay debts or anything like that) you'll blame yourself for falling for it again and giving that other chance. So it could be him being pissed off at not someone in particular. He does have other people in his life than just his wife.

Reactions: COB-666
It might be something that goes pretty deep, like no matter what rockstar status you're elevated to in people''s minds, you're still haunted by the stuff of your true humane self that seems to get left in the shadow of the 'image' you need to portray to excel in the world, and that prevents you from enjoying life 'like a celebrity.' We might feel a pull to our roots in both good and bad. It kind of goes with metal, as the screaming vocals are actually our true animal self expressing emotions. Who knows, it could be something like despite life being good there's still something deep there that makes you need to grab the red wine. I like the symbolism in art, and it allows for personal reflection when the meaning is left vague. Even the happiest people could relate, as we're bound by mortality. But obviously it's about some kind of bad tendency or personality trait or bad luck or addiction. Maybe it's just a song with a cool title without much deeper thought. Usually when people say they're hexed or jinxed it means they have bad stuff happen to them consistently. There's the witchcraft symbolism. Psychologically it's succumbing to a victim mentality under circumstances that feel overpowering to your abilities.

Last edited:
Pretty straightforward the way I see it. It's the usual: pain, dreams that haunt, kill, curse, insanity, casualty. A hex perhaps from you? Nope. The end reveals: the demon within.