WTF is harcore?

Dec 23, 2005
Does anybody know what hardcore is anymore? I always thought hardcore as meaning hardcore punk bands like Minor Threat, The Misfits, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, etc. It seems like today bands that are considered hardcore are shitty bands like Hatebreed and Haste the Day that sound nothing like punk at all.

For one I'll say that Haste the Day isn't shitty, but they're not hardcore either. I also wouldn't put The Misfits there either.

What I know as Hardcore is like what you said "Hardcore Punk". Minor Threat and Black Flag would fall under there along with bands like Bane, Madball, Evergreen Terrace and, Comeback Kid.

Too many people nowadays confuse Hardcore with Metalcore.

Hardcore has become to have little meaning or definition these days, much like emo. But that doesn't have to mean all the bands people call hardcore are shitty.

LuminousAether said:
Heh. I take it you haven't heard any bands like The Red Chord, deathtofalsemetal34. Then again, with a name that horrible, I wouldn't expect you to have any interesting opinions whatsoever.

Yeah The Red Chord definitely aren't metalcore dumbass. What I think should really be called metalcore are crossover bands like D.R.I., Municipal Waste, S.O.D., etc. Those bands sound a lot more like hardcore and metal combined than most of the bands considered metalcore.

LuminousAether said:
The Red Chord are definitely metalcore, moron. What are they if not metalcore? Metalcore is simply a mixture of metal and hardcore, which is EXACTLY what The Red Chord play.

I see absolutely NO hardcore influences in them at all. I consider them to be DeathGrind.

hardcore punk bands - DRI, Suicidal Tendencies, Bad Brains, Circle Jerks, Minor Threat

hardcore music today is a punk incluenced heavy metal sound, it has the simplicity of punk music but is much heavier than the bands mentioned above

also a lot of hardcore bands did mix some thrash and thrash was influenced by early hardcore punk bands

i hope i fixed some confusion, probably not though :/

Perpetual Catatonia said:
I see absolutely NO hardcore influences in them at all. I consider them to be DeathGrind.

That's really ironic, considering that grind is a mixture of death metal and hardcore as it is. So if you don't see any hardcore influences in them at all, how the FUCK could they be grind? :lol:

LuminousAether said:
That's really ironic, considering that grind is a mixture of death metal and hardcore as it is. So if you don't see any hardcore influences in them at all, how the FUCK could they be grind? :lol:

Well pretty much everything today is hardcore influenced but there's a distinct difference between grindcore and metalcore.

LuminousAether said:

Cause of the "grind" part ... Not the "core" part :)

Hardcore is a form of punk but more aggressive and usually with shouted vocals. Bands like Biohazard, Madball, Converge and Agnostic Front are examples.

For one I'll say that Haste the Day isn't shitty, but they're not hardcore either.

They are shitty.

What I know as Hardcore is like what you said "Hardcore Punk". Minor Threat and Black Flag would fall under there along with bands like Bane, Madball, Evergreen Terrace and, Comeback Kid.

Too many people nowadays confuse Hardcore with Metalcore.

It's understandable people confuse the two because many hardcore bands (i.e. Hatebreed, Eighteen Visions, Throwdown) try to sound metallic. Now, its to the point where the boundries between the two are really vague. I personally, think it is done to death.

I enjoy listening to The Red Chord. I'm listening to them now, in fact .. "That Certain Special Ugly". I'm not sure what to label them, they could fit under so many different categories; all I know is that they're fucking amazing.