View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
abt
BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djabthrash View Post
Ok that's what i was thinking...

Now i need to know if he's using his fingers like this 1/2/3/4 (1 being index, 2 being middle finger, 3 being ring, 4 being pinkie) or in a different manner like the classical guitar players do for instance.

I also need to know the power of each finger to translate it into velocities.
If it's 1/2/3/4 i guess it would translate into something like :
100 / 82 / 79 / 70 (i assume 1 is way stronger and triggering the note so is played harder anyway, and then the following fingers get weaker and weaker)
He could use the pinky but in my experience it's not that common, they tend to use 1-2-1-2 or 1-3-2. I'm not sure how many bass players use the thumb as they tend to rest it somewhere. The pinky is pretty useless in comparison to the other fingers. Also it's length means that in order to have it even reach the strings you have to change the hand position to one that's not very conducive to good tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectivum View Post
the other way round, start with pinky and go in order to index. just try tapping on your desk and you will see it is much easier
Yes, this order is correct but you don't lead off with the weakest finger because you want the strength on the beat. so instead of say 3-2-1-3-2-1 you'd start with the first finger 1-3-2-1-3-2 once you get going it feels the same but sounds different.
abt is offline   Reply With Quote