Thread: how do program?
View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2012, 03:28 PM   #32 (permalink)
ManFromMars

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDriller View Post
As for this whole C/C++ racket,

I still maintain that neither of those are good 'n00b' languages. Sure, C is awesome for embedded systems but honestly, how many beginners are doing embedded micro-controller programming as their first hobby-projects?

None.

All the upsides of C/C++ are lost on the n00b programmer, and all they're left with are the thorny edge-cases and awkward syntax to struggle with.
I reckon every programmer worth a shit should know C/C++ pretty well, but not as a first language as it's so much more important to learn the general concepts rather than spend hours wrestling with the quirks, traps and heart-aches of low-level programming.
I agree with this.

I started teaching myself C++, then learned Java as a first language at universidad. Then Fortran, but we won't talk about that Anyway, I think I would have done better if I'd started with Python or Java rather than C++.

Something like Python is great for learning general programming concepts, and it allows you to write properly useful programs quite quickly.

Java isn't too bad as a starting language I guess, if you want to get into mobile app development rapidly or something.