View Single Post
Old October 17th, 2004, 03:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Arg_Hamster
Not quite done yet...

Old School: Placing troops in a country to uphold the regime of a corrupt (but friendly) government OR giving them financial or industrial help could be considered imperialism as I see it. The Soviet did it in east europe, The French, Brittish, Japan... most civilizations have done it at one time or another. Sweden controlled parts of northern Germany. The Azteks and Mayas could probably be called imperialist.

Noone wants to be called an imperialist but I say cut the fucking PC bullshit and call things by their right name. Im not saying the foreign troops and workers in Afghanistan and Iraq is all bad, but what I dont like is that the people that did terrorist attacks were once seen as allies by the EU, Russians and US. And many in Iraq sees the troops as tools for someone else.

Oh, and for the Vietnam thing... South Korea and the Aussies had troops stationed there too (part of the SEATO-deal). So no need for you to get angry. Some say that South Vietnam was a democracy but peoples dislike of Nguyen Van Thieu and co. must have come from somewhere, right? Van Thieu used to fight in Viet Minh before turning and serving in the Vietnamese army (controlled by the French), and I bet a lot of the other high officals there had done the same. Ho Chi Minh started a agricultural "reform" (probably a nicer word for stealing) which gave the peasants land in North Vietnam. The influence of this action on South Vietnams people was great. If the government had held free elections the communist would probably had won. A funny sidenote (wonder if Jane Fonda ever read about this), is as the war went on the NLF lost more and more influence to the North Vietnamese Army. Not quite "the rise of the poor opressed South Vietnamese pesants" huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_school_headbanger
Where is all the territory we have aquired through the last 5 wars we have had?
"Imperialism is the policy of extending the control or authority over foreign entities as a means of acquisition and/or maintenance of empires, either through direct territorial control or through indirect methods of exerting control on the politics and/or economy of other countries. The term is used by some to describe the policy of a country in maintaining colonies and dominance over distant lands, regardless of whether the country calls itself an empire."

- From Wikipedia

"Reuban likes killing people... GOOD PRICES!"

Human remains in a beaker and tray and coffee pot. Bones which were being partly macerated, dissolved, in a margarine container which had engine coolant in it. It smelled very odd.

Last edited by Arg_Hamster : October 17th, 2004 at 04:35 AM.
Arg_Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote