Amon Amarth  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Amon Amarth
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM   #251 (permalink)
Celtik Militia
Dumb French Bastard

oh yeah what are the names of your children?
and by the way Tyra, just by curiosity, were you brought up with paganism?
was anyone here brought up more or less that way?

PS; just for the anecdote, talking about names we can give to our children... well in france, "Blanche" can be a name, it means "White". and "france" is also a name. so this woman i know called her two daughters "White" and "France" LOL.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:51 PM   #252 (permalink)
Tyra

Tyra is my user name here and my SCA name, too. My oldest is named Lina, for the goddess of consolation, Hlin. It means The Falxenhaired, and she is flaxenhaired alright - pretty much a carbon copy of me (blonde swizzle-stick in other words). Her chosen SCA name is Arnfrid (One who loves eagles). The younger one is Leia. (Her dad chose that name. Can you guess what movies he likes?) She doesn't have an SCA name yet, as she's too young to have chosen one. We'd probably have named her something like Sigyn or whatever if we lived in a Scandihoovian country, but we had to choose names that people can actually pronounce here, too... It's bad enough that nobody can spell their names right. I know all about that, since my maiden name was Nilsdotter Carlsson. It's sure a lot quicker spelling R-e-i-d every time you go to the bank and such!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:59 PM   #253 (permalink)
Tyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtik Militia
oh yeah what are the names of your children?
and by the way Tyra, just by curiosity, were you brought up with paganism?
was anyone here brought up more or less that way?

PS; just for the anecdote, talking about names we can give to our children... well in france, "Blanche" can be a name, it means "White". and "france" is also a name. so this woman i know called her two daughters "White" and "France" LOL.
Hehe! My dog is named Gwen. It means "the fair one", cuz she has a big white patch on her belly and chest and white mittens, whereas my last big dog (Zeke, after Disney's Big Bad Wolf) was pitch black. It's the same as Gwenivere/Guinivere, Gwendolyn and Genevra. Gwen is "GWENDOLYN!!!" when she gets into trouble...

I was brought up in a household where one parent taught me the Christian way and the other the Old Way. Then, after my biological dad died and Johan and his dad became my family, my new dad used to tell me the stories of the old Norse, but he is vey anti-religion of any kind. He feels that one should make ones own mind up about politics and religion, and so I did. My kids are brought up asatru, but the surrounding community is all Christian, so they, too, get both.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #254 (permalink)
Tyra

Oh, and incidentally, I just thought I'd mention that I am leaving for a dig this week and will be incommunicado for a month. Not ignoring anyone or whatever...
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:53 PM   #255 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

Tyra, your knowledge rules!
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #256 (permalink)
TheLastWithPaganBlood
Nordman

If someone could help me with this I'd really appreciate it. How would you say "revenge" in Old Norse or Icelandic?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 20th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #257 (permalink)
Knarfi
Yaba-daba-doo!

Question

Whats this about the primeval cow, Audhumla? I mean is it realy a cow?! like.. moomoo?!!? well it just sounded weird.. so if anyone knows what it is..
(heres the link: http://www.ancient-mythology.com/norse/buri.php) i could find more about it though.. does anyone have a GOOD link to a site with norse mythology btw?
-Knarf
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM   #258 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

http://www.ginnungagap.info/ggeindex.asp
http://www.geocities.com/odinistlibrary/MainAll.htm
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:56 AM   #259 (permalink)
Knarfi
Yaba-daba-doo!

Thank you, Thank you..
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:21 PM   #260 (permalink)
Bastard_ son_ of_ God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastWithPaganBlood
Who do you guys think is the greatest hero in the Germanic tales? No gods allowed.
Personally, I think either Ragnar Lodbrok, Beowulf or Sigurd Fafnersbane.
Gunnar, Sidgurd, beowulf. The Greatest of warriors.
Old May 24th, 2006, 07:35 PM   #261 (permalink)
saboona

are there any cool movies of Vikings out there?
or is it just kick ass music
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #262 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

13th Warrior is vikingish, even though most of it isnt real.
Old May 25th, 2006, 05:55 AM   #263 (permalink)
Blutaar
RAVENSBURGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by saboona
The 3 films of Hrafn Gnnlaugsson:The Raven Flies (Hrafninn flygur), In the Shadow Of The Raven and The white Viking.
3. Black Messiah "Of Myths and Legends"
4. New Battlesword
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:18 PM   #264 (permalink)
Lokundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by saboona
http://www.beowulf-movie.com/

Haven't seen it, but I hear it'll be in Seattle sometime in June. But honestly, how could it not rock your pants off?
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #265 (permalink)
Larsson
He is risen

I wonder which sort of people worshiped which gods during the ancient times. For example I have heard that farmers worshiped Tor rather then Oden because they feared him or something like that. Anyone know anything about that?

I also wonder to which extents the asatru existed before the viking age(800-1100 right?).
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #266 (permalink)
F_Slim
Einherjer

As far as I know, the farmers worshiped Thor because he is responsible for the weather. Actually the storys about Thor fighting against giants can be interpretated as ... well ... the giants represent something bad for the farmer, and Thor is like the thunderstorm, bringing rain, washing something away ... smashing the stones ...

(Yeah, I know: I really need to read more about the gods )
However: that's how all the stories about Odin, Thor, Baldur, Freya and so on should be understood: they all mean something, and the key to understand them, is to know what the god or godess represents.
(Doesn't mean that you can't just listen to a story and be amazed about it, without questioning the true meaning from time to time)
Old May 28th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #267 (permalink)
Krigloch the Furious
Butt drippage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsson
I wonder which sort of people worshiped which gods during the ancient times. For example I have heard that farmers worshiped Tor rather then Oden because they feared him or something like that. Anyone know anything about that?

I also wonder to which extents the asatru existed before the viking age(800-1100 right?).
I dont really think that people feared the gods.
and Odinism/Asatru/whatever has been around for thousands of years.
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #268 (permalink)
Larsson
He is risen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigloch the Furry-ass
I dont really think that people feared the gods.
and Odinism/Asatru/whatever has been around for thousands of years.
Cool. But how did it develop during that time?
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #269 (permalink)
SantaSCSI
Vlaemsche Leeuwenzoon

Viking Mythology

Hi guys,

I've been digging thru the norse mythology lately but reading on internet is far from fun. so i'm searching a book about it. Any of you guys have a title, or better, an ISBN number for me about it?

some things that must be in it:
- the gods and their relation (family tree?)
- about the "universe". The nine worlds, ect
- Saga's and events like Ragnarok ect.
In other words: everything.

Thanks.
Old June 12th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #270 (permalink)
Larsson
He is risen

I think the answer to that very question is in here somewhere:

Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Good read anyway.
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:08 AM   #271 (permalink)
Sleipnir
Thorsmadr

From my kindred's website, everything you need is here.

http://www.geocities.com/~vingolf/booklist.html
Old June 12th, 2006, 09:49 AM   #272 (permalink)
SantaSCSI
Vlaemsche Leeuwenzoon

Thanks a lot. That link helped me miles forward.
*me is going to spend loads of money on books*
Old June 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #273 (permalink)
Tyra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsson

Please excuse my screwed up keyboard...temporary glitch.

This is a difficult question to answer. There is not a name for the faith before the introduction of the Christian faith, so we don t really know what people would have considered themselves. However, symbols and words representing some of the asatru deities are present around the year 0, and for sure by 400 AD. Runes are present by anno 400, also, and symbols often used to represent each god is present in the art by then. Tacitus and others tells of goddess worship being the predominant religion before the year 0. The goddess Nerthus, the main subject of worshipped before then, is thought to have eventually grown into Njord, and Tyr is the main male deity for the period. He seems to have merged with Odin and also remained as Tyr himself in the later period. Either way, at some point, one must, as Lord Renfrew has pointed out, reach The Edge of Knowability. We can only know so many things for sure without having an actual eye witness to ask, and, unfortunately, we don t have one of them. The farther back in time you go, the quicker you will reach that Edge. Goddessworship, none the less, seems almost universal for northern Europe before the bronze age, and some of those goddesses were incorporated into asatru as time went by. The dispute of how the male gods arrived into the culture is ongoing and very nasty, but in the Edda it says there was a war between the Aesir and the Vanir and that they melded at the end of it.

As for the Thor thing, this is my understanding...
Odin is and was feared by some because he knows seith, because he is fickle and because he is the god of war. He is very smart and can fool even Loki. Thor is not so smart. He is friendly and very human in his ways. He is the darling of the plain people because of that, and because he defends them, whereas Odin protects the warriors. Farmers would worship Frej, who is the god of fertility, human, animal and plant. Without him, nothing grows, including cattle and crop. Thor is in charge of thunder, not wetaher. That is Frej s gebiet.
Old June 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #274 (permalink)
Gorlith

Edda

For someone like me that doesnt have the Edda yet... Whats the difference between the Poetic Edda and the Prose Edda, etc... Which should I pick up?
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #275 (permalink)
skinnywhiteboy
Friend Of The Suncross

it's all in the name. the Poetic Edda was written in verse form and the Prose Edda was written in (guess what) prose form. i like the Poetic because it was written first and gives a 'truer' form of the stories, but i'm probably biased because i read a lot of poetry anyway. i also have the Prose Edda, and they work well together for comparison purposes. check out the book list posted by Sleipnir above, it's a great starting point. i recommend 'Sagas of the Icelanders' and 'Heimskringla' for historical reading about the Viking Age. both books are big (huge) but very well worth the reading.