Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
JoshSylosis
WWW.MYSPACE.COM/SYLOSIS

Q for Andy. Peavey Triple XXX

Obviously everyone elses feedback with regards to recording this amp is welcome. I just want Lord Metals opinion.

Anyways, I just want to know what EQ settings on the amp you'd generally go for. I'm using a string thru ESP LTD (tuned down to C) with the Zakk Wylde EMG set (81/85) and the amp will either be going through a standard Mesa 4X12 cab or the Triple XXX 4X12. For mics I'm using a SM57 along side a Rodes NT2A (I know this is predominantly a vocal mic but still sounds pretty good on guitar cabs) straight into my interface, no preamps. I'm all good with the mic placement side of things.

Obviously a good sound is a matter of opinion, but the reason I'm asking is because the EQ on this amp seems to be very sensative! Too much treble and it sounds like a sizzling frying pan. Too little, and it doesnt cut through enough. Plus it's hard to tell when you've gone overboard with the gain! This amp just seems to respond very differently to a 5150 or recto.
PLUS I'm not able to record at too high a volume.

I know this threads kinda lame and I could just do with spending hours fiddling but I've spent so long using this amp (never having recorded with it) and my ears are maybe too used to its tone. I just dont like too much EQing post recording!

Ta!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
killians8546

Yeah man I am curious about this same subject. That active eq really makes that shit a pain in the ass to tweak.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

ok check out www.audiostreet.net/jamesalexanderboyd

by the time you check there should be a song called 'pop metal' done completely with a xxx head thru a mesa boogie 4x12.

I've owned the 5150 as well and while there are similarities it definately has it's own sound, to my ears the xxx is like a cross between a 5150 mark1 and a mesa rectifier with a touch of marshall twang in there.

for this clip I juiced it slightly with an sd-1 to help with the fizz (pretty much a problem with most hi gain peavey or mesa)

the tight dampening switch was used and the settings were thus-

bass 4
mids 1.5
treble 4.5
gain 3
channel volume 3
master 5

it was miked with one sm57 on axis.

-Devin Townsend
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
elmuchoescadawg

Quote:
Yeah man I am curious about this same subject. That active eq really makes that shit a pain in the ass to tweak.
The Triple XXX doesnt have active EQ
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

well maybe not in the true sense, but the controls are certainly more respnsive than any other amp I've played.

according to peavey the clean channel is passive, whilst the gain channels are active

-Devin Townsend
Old June 11th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
killswitch_19

Quote:
The Triple XXX doesnt have active EQ
Yes it does.
Old June 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
egan.
daylightdies.com

My advice for eqing the xxx is don't get caught up in what your eq normally "looks like." This may sound stupid or obvious, but most of us tend to start dialling in an amp based on setting for other amps and it just doesn't translate here.

Look at James' eq settings: Everything is below 5 and this has been typical of my experience with the amp as well. If you normally start eq from "flat" (all at 5) try starting at 2 or 3 with this amp and building from there.

IMHO you have to be way more conservative with this amp.....
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
PTE3X

killer tone james, gonna try your setting
Old June 12th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

thanks man, it's definately a different animal to dial in.
The tip of having everything on about 3 is a good idea, as to me that sounds closer to an average amp with everything on 5.

if you want a more rock orientated tone put some el34's in there, and use a passive pickup, for metal though use a trusty 81/85 and keep the 6l6's in there.

check out the song 'mr jb maxon' to hear the xxx with a maxon and jb-7 string pickup, it's a more vintage/thrashy sound but works nonetheless.

good luck

-Devin Townsend
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:29 AM   #10 (permalink)
Razorjack
Bass Behemoth

The maxon JB-7 clip sounds really cool, I might check out the XXX when I'm next in the market for an amp (as soon as I find someone to buy my rack!!).
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

Yeah, it's nice to be able to have a 3 channel hi gain head with a decent clean (and e.q controls that work ) without selling a kidney or two.

the only downside is that it has an insane amount of tonal variations so for the anal tweakers out there, it can be a bitch sticking to a sound.

-Devin Townsend
Old June 12th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
axeman720

someone said this before., but tweak with your EARS not your eyes. that is one of the most critical things in recording. your eyes can play ALOT of tricks on you.
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Matt Smith
THEOCRACY

Amazing tones, James. All those clips were awesome. 2 tracks or 4? Traditional or oversized Mesa cab?

Last edited by Matt Smith : June 13th, 2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Glenn Fricker
Very Metal &Very Bad News

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeman720
someone said this before., but tweak with your EARS not your eyes. that is one of the most critical things in recording. your eyes can play ALOT of tricks on you.

Yeah, there's nothing like spending an hour tweaking a guitar track to perfection only to realize you've had your hands on the snare EQ
Old June 13th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

thanks matt, that's a heck of a compliment coming from you

I use the standard mesa traditional slant, to me it's tighter and more hi fi than than the oversized, but both rock.

the pop metal song is 4 tracks in most parts, the jb maxon song is only two
(just one sm57 on axis for both)

two my ears 4 tracks are kinda over rated unless you have to differing sounds, and even then it's not like it's twice as heavy, just a tad thicker- I'd rather spend that time getting the bass thicker I quess

-Devin Townsend
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
egan.
daylightdies.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzNimbus
Yeah, there's nothing like spending an hour tweaking a guitar track to perfection only to realize you've had your hands on the snare EQ
LOL.....maybe not hours but....
Old June 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Kazrog
Space Meat!

That's a great sound James. I have been eyeing this XXX that nobody wants at the local music store. I've played through it twice and love it, and I have a chance to get it for $775... perhaps I should...
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #18 (permalink)
Loner
In Despise

I'd jump on it for that price.

My band- myspace.com/indespise
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

thanks kazrog, for $775 I'd jump on it!!

Get some jj's in there, and you'll be set

Also if you're still getting the 5150, you could get some great layering going on for rhythms.

-Devin Townsend
Old June 13th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Kazrog
Space Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesboyd
thanks kazrog, for $775 I'd jump on it!!

Get some jj's in there, and you'll be set

Also if you're still getting the 5150, you could get some great layering going on for rhythms.
I'm still waiting for my 6505+ to arrive. I ordered it on April 30th, and Peavey has been having trouble meeting demand. I should have it in 2-3 weeks time.
Old June 14th, 2005, 03:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
viva_360

Hey JAmes nice CLips you did! MAn i can never imagine playing along with drum tracks from a loop! Hey did you use the same settings of the POP metal with the Mr. JAb maxon clip? By the way are the settings form your previous post in o'clock or ?

Thanks!!
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #22 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

thanks man, loops? those are programmed drums done in fruity loops

the pop metal clip was the crunch channel with the tight button engaged, the jbmaxon one was the ultra channel with the loose button engaged.

-Devin Townsend
Old June 14th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #23 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

oh and that's using the standard 1-10 method, not o'clock for the above settings

-Devin Townsend
Old June 15th, 2005, 12:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Carrier Flux

Fruity Loops eh? I used FL on my first couple of albums but kind of lost interest in it. What are you using for your sample collection? Your kit sounded really good. So did the guitars btw. I'm jealous of your recording ability. You said those tunes were all recorded with a 57? what mic pre? where was your mic pointed and how far from the speaker was it? hope that's not too many questions
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #25 (permalink)
jamesboyd
andy's bitch

yeah fruity loops isn't great but can run on almost any shit pc without freezing, I'm upgrading so will finally be able to use battery soon.

the drum samples are from a top of the line dw kit tracked in a huge room here in nz thru a neve desk and then straight to tape. (multi-sampled of course)

pre was old drawmer tube compressor. and the 57 was pointed just off center about an inch off the grill.

-Devin Townsend