Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Fabbio
Yoda

Have you ever seen the inside of an EMG pickup?

Hi guys!!!

It's an eternity that I would love to see what's inside an EMG pickup but unfortunately and obviously I cannot afford to open one of mine, they're too expensive.

Do some of you guys know what the inside looks like? ANy picture of it?

Well anyway, if it's illegal to show the interior specifics, nevermind, I am just curious.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
commandante
Zealot

It looks like a DiMarzio X2N with a circuit-board mounted under it.
In corruption is our fall...
-Mieszko Talarczyk
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

Yeah, but it's smothered in epoxy. I ripped open an EMGHZ3 to find out once...it's like two bobbins and a metric ton of epoxy glue covering the thing.
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Kazrog
Space Meat!

Why do they put a ceramic shell on their pickups anyway? I don't mind or anything, in fact I love the way they sound and look, but is there some technical or sonic reason?
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

It's a bit of a cost cutting thing... To have a normal looking pickup with an active preamp like that, you'd either have to have them seperate or spend a bit more to make it look up to snuff. I'll get pics of it real quick.

Pictures taken by Wixomwhat on the Seymour Duncan forum.

Now, this is an HZ pickup, so it may very well be different on the USA EMG's, but I've heard that it's more or less the same.

Notice how despite being a rail pickup, they used a polepiece bobbin? Cracks me up... and, one of the blades doesn't even extend underneath the low E.
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

http://seymourduncan.com/forum/showt...mg+cover+epoxy

Thread, with more pics, and on the second page, MontyJay (mod on the ESP forum, as well as SDF member) has pictures of his bastardized 60, which he wanted to put a gold cover on. The covers worked out great, the EMG looked like a block of cheese underneath.
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kazrog
Space Meat!

Thanks for the pics/link/info. Really interesting. I love my EMGs, what can I say. I also love Seymour Duncans (in fact I work right next door to their headquarters), but if I had to play one pickup company for the rest of my life it would easily be EMG (85+81 or 85+89, and of course the ever-mighty 707.)
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
J the TyranT
Thats just how it is...

a MAN's pickup... bitch.

Actually, that's what came in my ESP Custom... so I kept it, cuz it sounds good... I want one with a Full Shred and one with an X2N in it also, just to try some shit out... I just dont have any other custom ESP's lying around right now, that's all.

J
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mendel
Lag Arkane

i think it's realy 1 big magnet or something. what really cool is, if i have allot ofdistorsion, and talk to the pick up. i can hear my voice in he amp. verry cool
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fabbio
Yoda

Oh my god!!!

Well, the one you posted the pic of was an HZ, so the much more expensive active ones should be more precise in the wounding.

Anyway thanks for the pics, really!!! It's very interesting... ...all that glue...

I will definitely try a Seymour Duncan in the future.

I must say that EMG pickups, though, are really good. I just brought home my Rg 7321 from the luthier, I had it routed and changed from the original Ibanez pickups to the 707. Much better... ...on the CLEAN sounds!!! I'm serious, really good clean sounds with the JCM 900 model from the PodXT.

Old July 12th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
commandante
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabbio
Well, the one you posted the pic of was an HZ, so the much more expensive active ones should be more precise in the wounding.
They are. But I saw the inside of an EMG 81 on another forum and it was the same. Lots of epoxy, X2N look alike-coils, circuit-board mounted underneath.
-Mieszko Talarczyk
Old July 12th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog
Thanks for the pics/link/info. Really interesting. I love my EMGs, what can I say. I also love Seymour Duncans (in fact I work right next door to their headquarters)

No shit? What models do you use? I've got a JB/JB in my RR-1, and a Custom/Jazz in my Schecter, but might switch the neck pickups around. I wish I would've found this forum sooner, I would've let you know about the User Group Day we had. Tons of guys from the SDF went and had a factory tour, got a free pickup and got to wind it themselves (custom shop specced to whatever they wanted, too), and then we had a big dinner/jam at a local hotely. Had some celebrity guests come, as well; I had dinner with Dave Mustaine and George Lynch .
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
commandante
Zealot

Jazz is a GREAT neck pickup. Very clear and bright, I love it.
-Mieszko Talarczyk
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

The JB in the neck, while far less popular, is like a Jazz on crack. Not as bright, but insanely articulate. Sings like no other.
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kazrog
Space Meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS3
No shit? What models do you use? I've got a JB/JB in my RR-1, and a Custom/Jazz in my Schecter, but might switch the neck pickups around. I wish I would've found this forum sooner, I would've let you know about the User Group Day we had. Tons of guys from the SDF went and had a factory tour, got a free pickup and got to wind it themselves (custom shop specced to whatever they wanted, too), and then we had a big dinner/jam at a local hotely. Had some celebrity guests come, as well; I had dinner with Dave Mustaine and George Lynch .
Yeah, so you must live in G-town Goleta also? I've got a JB and a hot rails in my ESP Michael Wilton series Horizon. I love that guitar for leads, hell for everything! It kicks ass, best passive pickups ever.
Old July 12th, 2005, 01:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazrog
Yeah, so you must live in G-town Goleta also?
ToRidDisease from AIM here, still live in Ventura. Close enough though, eh?
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
greyskull

YIKES!
well that thread got almost as ugly as the inside of an EMG
if i played the metalz id probably be all over the EMGS; they aint to my taste, but for THAT sound; they're just the ticket. Had 3 seymour duncan's (2 jb and a hotrail) the jbs both need rewinding and the hot rail raped all the character out of my tele so the single coil went right back in so they can fuck off.

"hello bareknuckle pickups?"
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #18 (permalink)
muckypup1
Sinister Haven \m/

EMG's without the cover's are fuckin hideous. I like the way the look with covers anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialNumb View Post
When you leave the toilet do you: Fap, jizz into toilet, have a cig and leave the shit cause I'm the only one here. Besides my dogs love to drink that shit.
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:12 AM   #19 (permalink)
cobhc
Amiga Enthusiast

Oh damn dude, fuckin' necro!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkan View Post
Damn I regret it so much now, I would love to have someone insert their fingers up my ass!!
from "teh best thread ever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Mattheiszen View Post
There's morning coffee on my keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Guitar View Post
*takes notes*
from "Epic Bleaching Thread"
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
slashvanyoung
Dopefish lives!

I once dreamt about cutting an EMG open, only to find the Duncan logo beneath the cover and a little note that reads: "Fools"!
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #21 (permalink)
nwright

I'm pretty sure an active EMG doesn't look like that underneath, at least not to the same scale.

I've read that you could fit the actual insides the humbucker sized EMG's in a single coil housing (don't know if that's true), but EMG makes the 81, 85, etc. in P90 sized housings (may be a custom upcharge), I have seen those. Exact same pickupm just a different housing.

The coils do not have to be big for these, and there is not as much wire winding involved, nor are the magnets that big, as the preamp boosts the signal to their "hot" levels. That's why EMG advertises that you can get the pickup as close to the string as you like without worry of magnetic pull...The preamp is doing all the work to get the high output, not the winding/magnets/etc.
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
muckypup1
Sinister Haven \m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashvanyoung View Post
I once dreamt about cutting an EMG open, only to find the Duncan logo beneath the cover and a little note that reads: "Fools"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocialNumb View Post
When you leave the toilet do you: Fap, jizz into toilet, have a cig and leave the shit cause I'm the only one here. Besides my dogs love to drink that shit.
Old November 13th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
-J-

why do those pics make me want an HZ now? Must be my love for rail pickups.

Paugrim

Demo-Quality 4 Lyfe
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
thefyn

The bobbins are wrapped with Zakk Wylde beard hair.

EMG's rawk my FACE. But I'll be honest, after switching to a JCM800 I have been thinking of passives.
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #25 (permalink)
Notuern
Bloody vaginal belch

Quote:
Originally Posted by -J- View Post
why do those pics make me want an HZ now? Must be my love for rail pickups.
A bit of topic, but MMK45's rule:

They sound kind of like a lowoutput passive EMG! ;P