Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #101 (permalink)
abyssofdreams
knows what you think.
 
abyssofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,748
any plugins for saturation you use yourself or could recommend?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black neon bob View Post
Whatever happened to music being just that, music? Fuck genres, just enjoy the music whatever it is.
abyssofdreams is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #102 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/
 
Ermz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 20,269
Seems this thread's gonna turn into a must-read sticky classic on here. Now if only we could get Colin, Randy, CLA, Nordstrom, & Bogren to jump on board..

Most of my questions are bass-related, so I'll keep asking in that spirit...

-Is there a particular way that you tend to compress bass? Certain attack and release settings, amount of GR etc.
-Do you divide the bass tracks up into 'low end' and 'mid/grit' tracks and process individually?
-Is there a particular amp sim that you process the 'grit' with if you decide not to reamp out to the real deal?
-What sort of EQ processes do you normally find yourself doing on the DI track? Cutting out notches for the kick to cut through, cutting out the low-mid mud etc.?

Thanks again. Very sportsmanlike to be so open with your processes. I thought you'd had enough when we documented everything you had to say a few years ago and threw it up on noise101 as a bible
__________________
Ermz is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #103 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
Thank you for all the answers again

I am still quite interested in the drum tuning question of how do you prefer to tune the drums? batter head lower or higher than the resonant head on kick/snare/tom?
On toms its usually a tiny bit higher on the resonant head, kick I'll just try as low as possible before the drummer moans about it and snare is dependent on the snare.
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #104 (permalink)
Via Noctis
Senior Member
 
Via Noctis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 390
STICKY!!!!

Three cheers for Andy
Via Noctis is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #105 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaomao View Post
Hey Andy how do you get "da boom" ?
I mean how can you get that huge low end at -9.0 db rms and not distorting anything? everything is clear but has huge low end
Your old stuff lacks a bit of lowend compared to the latest stuff, I guess different approach.
You're just great at getting that warm sound with modern technology.

cheers
Interesting you mention that. I think my mixes got better on the low end once I moved studios and started working in a better control room that was treated for low end.
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #106 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broodwich View Post
I've just always kinda assumed he wasn't around that often *shrug*
yeah I kind of hover round here but alot of the time folks are comparing their latest Fredman impulses and writing killswitch songs with Drumkits from hell, which is fine but I'm not going to start commenting on individual mixes else I'll never be off here.
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #107 (permalink)
~BURNY~
Senior Member
 
~BURNY~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,698
Very simple and maybe dumb question :
Do you use a low-pass on gtrs?
__________________
Context is everything
~BURNY~ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #108 (permalink)
abyssofdreams
knows what you think.
 
abyssofdreams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
comparing their latest Fredman impulses and writing killswitch songs with Drumkits from hell
guilty as charged
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black neon bob View Post
Whatever happened to music being just that, music? Fuck genres, just enjoy the music whatever it is.
abyssofdreams is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #109 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc View Post
I guess that confirms that a TS was used on The Atrocity Exhibition. Thanks for that.
Actually, you got me there, that was a Peavey Triple X with a pre sonus parametric in front of it (eq3b I think) into a normal sized boogie cab with one 57. Check out the set up, this album was not glamorous!






Last edited by Andy Sneap : April 25th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #110 (permalink)
Chryst Krispies
Vanilla Gorilla
 
Chryst Krispies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
folks are comparing their latest Fredman impulses and writing killswitch songs with Drumkits from hell, which is fine but I'm not going to start commenting on individual mixes else I'll never be off here.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Odell View Post
And the dreaded DSS3 lupus curse emerges.
Chryst Krispies is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #111 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssofdreams View Post
any plugins for saturation you use yourself or could recommend?
Crane song phoenix
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #112 (permalink)
Lasse Lammert
HCAF Blitzkrieg
 
Lasse Lammert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryst Krispies View Post
QUOTED FOR TRUTH.
YEAH!
Lasse Lammert is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #113 (permalink)
wyllie
^^ Why-Lee^^
 
wyllie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Glasgow,Scotland
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
Actually, you got me there, that was a Peavey Triple X with a pre sonus parametric in front of it (eq3b I think) into a normal sized boogie cab with one 57. Check out the set up, this album was not glamorous!
Hahaha holy crap Andy , thats how i used to record in my old house! Well know im feel really stupid cuz my tones were utter shite back then lol
wyllie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #114 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Seems this thread's gonna turn into a must-read sticky classic on here. Now if only we could get Colin, Randy, CLA, Nordstrom, & Bogren to jump on board..

Most of my questions are bass-related, so I'll keep asking in that spirit...

-Is there a particular way that you tend to compress bass? Certain attack and release settings, amount of GR etc.
-Do you divide the bass tracks up into 'low end' and 'mid/grit' tracks and process individually?
-Is there a particular amp sim that you process the 'grit' with if you decide not to reamp out to the real deal?
-What sort of EQ processes do you normally find yourself doing on the DI track? Cutting out notches for the kick to cut through, cutting out the low-mid mud etc.?

Thanks again. Very sportsmanlike to be so open with your processes. I thought you'd had enough when we documented everything you had to say a few years ago and threw it up on noise101 as a bible

It really depends on what I've got to work with. For a quick fix I tend to use a multi band compressor on the DI and then into either the sans amp plug in or amp Farm. I'm liking Waves GTR also at the moment, seems to have a pretty cool low end on a couple of settings. On the Megadeth record, James and I really went to town and we ended up using a 1 x 15 and 8 x 10 ashdown rig with quite an array of pedals, I'll try and get some set up pics off him. We did use 4 tracks in the end. 8", 15", yamama sub kick on an 8" and the DI. I have to say its a pretty killer tone. Another tome people like is Jacks tone from Exodus and thats pretty much the quick fix I mentioned above.
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #115 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BURNY~ View Post
Very simple and maybe dumb question :
Do you use a low-pass on gtrs?
if it needs it
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #116 (permalink)
Lasse Lammert
HCAF Blitzkrieg
 
Lasse Lammert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,321
just tried the sansamp psa1 blug on the SVT setting compared to the BDDI hardware on the svt setting....pretty similar actually, the BDDI had a fuller lowend....I'll try post a comparison clip later
Lasse Lammert is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #117 (permalink)
~BURNY~
Senior Member
 
~BURNY~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
if it needs it
Thanks.
I feel dumb now.
__________________
Context is everything
~BURNY~ is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #118 (permalink)
Skinny Viking
\(_o)/ How do Lydian?
 
Skinny Viking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 7,127
Kinda late jumping into this but also wanted to say thank you for taking time to answer all these questions.
__________________
For what it's worth ... my band

SHADOWDANCE |BANDCAMP

SHADOWDANCE |FACEBOOK

DIRTY VIKING AUDIO PRODUCTION

___________________________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_drummer View Post
Threads opened by cunts should be closed by cocks.
Skinny Viking is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #119 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen
 
ahjteam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Virrat/Helsinki, Finland
Posts: 9,397
Thank you again for your answers, here are the 3 unanswered questions left, you pretty much answered everything else already

- How do you usually mic and process snare (eq, comp, reverb...) and do you use softclipping on the snare?
- Which of your own productions do you think shows off your skills the best?
- How do mix drums? \(_o)/


edit: and an additional question: What has been the latest new gadget for you that you've fell in love with?
__________________
Check out my youtube channel for audio production tutorials
http://www.youtube.com/ahjteam

http://soundcloud.com/ahjteam/sets/debut-album

Last edited by ahjteam : April 25th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
ahjteam is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #120 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru
 
Andy Sneap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: at home
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
Thank you again for your answers, here are the 3 unanswered questions left, you pretty much answered everything else already

- How do you usually mic and process snare (eq, comp, reverb...) and do you use softclipping on the snare?
- Which of your own productions do you think shows off your skills the best?
- How do mix drums? (_o)/


edit: and an additional question: What has been the latest new gadget for you that you've fell in love with?
Well I keep saying, Metric Halo channel strip on the snare for eq and comp, no soft clipping. Production that shows off my skills.....oh god..recently I'd say Exodus Atrocity and Testament Formation.
How do I mix drums? thats a bit of a vague question, do you mean what perspective? Crowd perspective.
Andy Sneap is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #121 (permalink)
cobhc
Amiga Enthusiast
 
cobhc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham, England.
Posts: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
Actually, you got me there, that was a Peavey Triple X with a pre sonus parametric in front of it (eq3b I think) into a normal sized boogie cab with one 57. Check out the set up, this album was not glamorous!
Thanks for that, I'm assuming the EQ3B was in the loop? That's the little blue thing that I think Lee still uses live?
__________________
The Official 'Let's write a story (3 word posts)'‏ discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkan View Post
Damn I regret it so much now, I would love to have someone insert their fingers up my ass!!
from "teh best thread ever"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Mattheiszen View Post
There's morning coffee on my keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Guitar View Post
*takes notes*
from "Epic Bleaching Thread"
cobhc is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #122 (permalink)
AdamWathan
Senior Member
 
AdamWathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc View Post
Thanks for that, I'm assuming the EQ3B was in the loop? That's the little blue thing that I think Lee still uses live?
He said in front of so I'm assuming not in the loop, probably set up as a boost + EQ for the same sort of purpose he normally uses a TS for
__________________
Contact me via PM for Drum Editing
AdamWathan is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #123 (permalink)
Gustavo_Loureiro
Senior Member
 
Gustavo_Loureiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 330
Hey Andy, thanks a lot for the answers!
Gustavo_Loureiro is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #124 (permalink)
GarethSE
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
How do I mix drums? thats a bit of a vague question, do you mean what perspective? Crowd perspective.
I never thought I'd ever say this to you but
SON YOU NEED EDUCATIN'
GarethSE is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #125 (permalink)
Jaymz
Stymphalian Productions
 
Jaymz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: York
Posts: 7,379
I usually get told that putting duvets/blankets around guitar cabs gives a cloudy/woofy/boxy tone, whats your take on this? If your low on cash throw a blanket on? *If your in a un-treated room I mean..which I am*
__________________
Schecter C1 Hellraiser & Loomis 7 FR, LTD JK-1, LTD Explorer, LTD Elite Horizon III, Kemper Rack, 6505, '92 Dual Recto, Framus Cobra, Mesa OS 4x12, Spector Rex 5



www.facebook.com/theblackstymphalian
Jaymz is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0
© Copyright 2000-2014 UltimateMetal.com | MetalAges Media