Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #101 (permalink)
abyssofdreams
knows what you think.

any plugins for saturation you use yourself or could recommend?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 25th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #102 (permalink)
Ermz
\(_o)/

Seems this thread's gonna turn into a must-read sticky classic on here. Now if only we could get Colin, Randy, CLA, Nordstrom, & Bogren to jump on board..

Most of my questions are bass-related, so I'll keep asking in that spirit...

-Is there a particular way that you tend to compress bass? Certain attack and release settings, amount of GR etc.
-Do you divide the bass tracks up into 'low end' and 'mid/grit' tracks and process individually?
-Is there a particular amp sim that you process the 'grit' with if you decide not to reamp out to the real deal?
-What sort of EQ processes do you normally find yourself doing on the DI track? Cutting out notches for the kick to cut through, cutting out the low-mid mud etc.?

Thanks again. Very sportsmanlike to be so open with your processes. I thought you'd had enough when we documented everything you had to say a few years ago and threw it up on noise101 as a bible
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #103 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
Thank you for all the answers again

I am still quite interested in the drum tuning question of how do you prefer to tune the drums? batter head lower or higher than the resonant head on kick/snare/tom?
On toms its usually a tiny bit higher on the resonant head, kick I'll just try as low as possible before the drummer moans about it and snare is dependent on the snare.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #104 (permalink)
Via Noctis

STICKY!!!!

Three cheers for Andy
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #105 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaomao View Post
Hey Andy how do you get "da boom" ?
I mean how can you get that huge low end at -9.0 db rms and not distorting anything? everything is clear but has huge low end
Your old stuff lacks a bit of lowend compared to the latest stuff, I guess different approach.
You're just great at getting that warm sound with modern technology.

cheers
Interesting you mention that. I think my mixes got better on the low end once I moved studios and started working in a better control room that was treated for low end.
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #106 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Broodwich View Post
I've just always kinda assumed he wasn't around that often *shrug*
yeah I kind of hover round here but alot of the time folks are comparing their latest Fredman impulses and writing killswitch songs with Drumkits from hell, which is fine but I'm not going to start commenting on individual mixes else I'll never be off here.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #107 (permalink)
~BURNY~

Very simple and maybe dumb question :
Do you use a low-pass on gtrs?
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #108 (permalink)
abyssofdreams
knows what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sneap View Post
comparing their latest Fredman impulses and writing killswitch songs with Drumkits from hell
guilty as charged
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #109 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc View Post
I guess that confirms that a TS was used on The Atrocity Exhibition. Thanks for that.
Actually, you got me there, that was a Peavey Triple X with a pre sonus parametric in front of it (eq3b I think) into a normal sized boogie cab with one 57. Check out the set up, this album was not glamorous!

Last edited by Andy Sneap : April 25th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #110 (permalink)
Chryst Krispies
Vanilla Gorilla

Quote:
folks are comparing their latest Fredman impulses and writing killswitch songs with Drumkits from hell, which is fine but I'm not going to start commenting on individual mixes else I'll never be off here.
QUOTED FOR TRUTH.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #111 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssofdreams View Post
any plugins for saturation you use yourself or could recommend?
Crane song phoenix
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #112 (permalink)
Lasse Lammert
HCAF Blitzkrieg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chryst Krispies View Post
QUOTED FOR TRUTH.
YEAH!
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #113 (permalink)
wyllie
^^ Why-Lee^^

Quote:
Actually, you got me there, that was a Peavey Triple X with a pre sonus parametric in front of it (eq3b I think) into a normal sized boogie cab with one 57. Check out the set up, this album was not glamorous!
Hahaha holy crap Andy , thats how i used to record in my old house! Well know im feel really stupid cuz my tones were utter shite back then lol
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #114 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Seems this thread's gonna turn into a must-read sticky classic on here. Now if only we could get Colin, Randy, CLA, Nordstrom, & Bogren to jump on board..

Most of my questions are bass-related, so I'll keep asking in that spirit...

-Is there a particular way that you tend to compress bass? Certain attack and release settings, amount of GR etc.
-Do you divide the bass tracks up into 'low end' and 'mid/grit' tracks and process individually?
-Is there a particular amp sim that you process the 'grit' with if you decide not to reamp out to the real deal?
-What sort of EQ processes do you normally find yourself doing on the DI track? Cutting out notches for the kick to cut through, cutting out the low-mid mud etc.?

Thanks again. Very sportsmanlike to be so open with your processes. I thought you'd had enough when we documented everything you had to say a few years ago and threw it up on noise101 as a bible

It really depends on what I've got to work with. For a quick fix I tend to use a multi band compressor on the DI and then into either the sans amp plug in or amp Farm. I'm liking Waves GTR also at the moment, seems to have a pretty cool low end on a couple of settings. On the Megadeth record, James and I really went to town and we ended up using a 1 x 15 and 8 x 10 ashdown rig with quite an array of pedals, I'll try and get some set up pics off him. We did use 4 tracks in the end. 8", 15", yamama sub kick on an 8" and the DI. I have to say its a pretty killer tone. Another tome people like is Jacks tone from Exodus and thats pretty much the quick fix I mentioned above.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #115 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~BURNY~ View Post
Very simple and maybe dumb question :
Do you use a low-pass on gtrs?
if it needs it
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #116 (permalink)
Lasse Lammert
HCAF Blitzkrieg

just tried the sansamp psa1 blug on the SVT setting compared to the BDDI hardware on the svt setting....pretty similar actually, the BDDI had a fuller lowend....I'll try post a comparison clip later
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #117 (permalink)
~BURNY~

Quote:
if it needs it
Thanks.
I feel dumb now.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #118 (permalink)
Skinny Viking
\(_o)/ How do Lydian?

Kinda late jumping into this but also wanted to say thank you for taking time to answer all these questions.

SHADOWDANCE |BANDCAMP

SHADOWDANCE |FACEBOOK

DIRTY VIKING AUDIO PRODUCTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_drummer View Post
Threads opened by cunts should be closed by cocks.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #119 (permalink)
ahjteam
Anssi Tenhunen

Thank you again for your answers, here are the 3 unanswered questions left, you pretty much answered everything else already

- How do you usually mic and process snare (eq, comp, reverb...) and do you use softclipping on the snare?
- Which of your own productions do you think shows off your skills the best?
- How do mix drums? \(_o)/

edit: and an additional question: What has been the latest new gadget for you that you've fell in love with?

http://soundcloud.com/ahjteam/sets/debut-album

Last edited by ahjteam : April 25th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old April 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #120 (permalink)
Andy Sneap
Metal Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
Thank you again for your answers, here are the 3 unanswered questions left, you pretty much answered everything else already

- How do you usually mic and process snare (eq, comp, reverb...) and do you use softclipping on the snare?
- Which of your own productions do you think shows off your skills the best?
- How do mix drums? (_o)/

edit: and an additional question: What has been the latest new gadget for you that you've fell in love with?
Well I keep saying, Metric Halo channel strip on the snare for eq and comp, no soft clipping. Production that shows off my skills.....oh god..recently I'd say Exodus Atrocity and Testament Formation.
How do I mix drums? thats a bit of a vague question, do you mean what perspective? Crowd perspective.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #121 (permalink)
cobhc
Amiga Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks for that, I'm assuming the EQ3B was in the loop? That's the little blue thing that I think Lee still uses live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkan View Post
Damn I regret it so much now, I would love to have someone insert their fingers up my ass!!
from "teh best thread ever"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Mattheiszen View Post
There's morning coffee on my keyboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Guitar View Post
*takes notes*
from "Epic Bleaching Thread"
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #122 (permalink)
AdamWathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobhc View Post
Thanks for that, I'm assuming the EQ3B was in the loop? That's the little blue thing that I think Lee still uses live?
He said in front of so I'm assuming not in the loop, probably set up as a boost + EQ for the same sort of purpose he normally uses a TS for
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #123 (permalink)
Gustavo_Loureiro

Hey Andy, thanks a lot for the answers!
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #124 (permalink)
GarethSE
Banned

Quote:
How do I mix drums? thats a bit of a vague question, do you mean what perspective? Crowd perspective.
I never thought I'd ever say this to you but
SON YOU NEED EDUCATIN'
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #125 (permalink)
Jaymz
Stymphalian Productions

I usually get told that putting duvets/blankets around guitar cabs gives a cloudy/woofy/boxy tone, whats your take on this? If your low on cash throw a blanket on? *If your in a un-treated room I mean..which I am*

www.facebook.com/theblackstymphalian