Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Metaltastic

Please check out my EP! (Sneapster guest solos + re-amp)

Well dudes, at long last, my EP is finished, and I'd really appreciate it if you all would check it out! The band/project is called Apex Predator, and you can listen to the Undivided EP on myspace, or download it here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/332050/Undivided%20EP.zip (note: if you downloaded it before ~8 PM EST on Thursday March 18th, then you probably don't have the most up-to-date mix, so I'd recommend re-downloading it to be sure!)

Basically, this past school year, me and my good friends Mike Bauder (guitars) and Sean Blaney (vocals) wanted to start a band, but couldn't find a steady drummer before Sean and I graduated in May '09. However, during that time we had written 4 songs that we wanted to immortalize; I wrote the majority of the music for them, but Bauder (as he's affectionately known) definitely had some essential contributions in terms of riff ideas and directions for certain sections of the songs to go in (except Abaddon, which I wrote around 2 years ago) that I never would have thought of, so he certainly deserves a fair share of the credit as well And Sean wrote the lyrics for all of the tunes (except The Hedonist, which I made some minor contributions to, but hey, I fucking suck at writing lyrics, so I gotta give myself credit whenever I can get it ).

I recorded all the rhythm and lead guitar parts (except where noted below), as well as the bass (which was kindly re-amped by Ermzasaurus), and used Superior 2.0 for the drums (except for the kick, which is Slate 5+10). Here are pics of the amp setup and cab/mic'ing position, and the solos that weren't played by me are as follows:

The Hedonist - 2:53 - 3:03 - Mike Bauder

Abaddon - 3:01 - 3:13 - Kimon "Keregioz" Zeliotis

Architect of Fate - 2:59 - 3:12 - Felix Neumann

Honestly, I'm too goddamn tired right now to type anything else, if anyone has any questions just ask, but more importantly, I really hope you guys dig it, I couldn't have done it without all that I've learned here!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I personally feel the solos in each of the songs are among the best I've ever come up with, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be my Gothenberg-tribute harmony in "The Hedonist"

EDIT 2 THE RETURN OF EDIT: And of course, big thanks to Jarkko Mattheiszen for his awesome logo design!

Last edited by Metaltastic : March 18th, 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 17th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Sickan
Į\(į_o)/Į

Great guitartone and playing Marcus!
The vocals are sick aswell, sounds like a blend of Chuck Billy (the lows) and Jesse Leach (the highs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Mattheiszen View Post
Not a fan of the band, and the clean vocals give me the same kind of creeps I get when a homeless guy is staring at me with a bottle of liquor in one hand and his dick in the other, but in a negative way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
findingthesound

Listening right now: very cool tunes!
Really like this classic mesa tone, good settting and set up, and as Sickan said the vox is great too, low and high screams are well controlled.
Solo and melody a great too.
The mix seems too be great too, but can't really juge cause listening with headphones (dt770 pro). Maybe I would had some more lows/sub to the kick.
I'm downloading your ep for listening with a better quality than myspace.

Good work!!
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ermz
Į\(į_o)/Į

Awesome, can't wait to hear it! I hope the bass was ultimately a bit easier for your to seat in the mix than it otherwise may have been.
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
findingthesound

I think a bit more db from the bass, and lows generally, would be cool.
Got your EP!
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ermz
Į\(į_o)/Į

I agree actually, definitely needs a bit more low, and bass guitar in particular. But all that aside the music is really cool, spinning it now. Thanks for sharing it with us for free
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
findingthesound

Ermz, I was listening to your myspace one more time (love to listen to your work) to compare your work on the lows, and F****! How do you manage this? Really, that's my main problem on my mixes, giving lows some consistency.
Do you put kick lower than bass or the other way?
it depend a lot of the tuning I know, I work with low B tuning, so around 61Hz, what should I do? Cutting around 61 Hz the bass, keep the kick below, or let the bass with a filter at 40Hz and make a hole (where?) to let the kick in the middle of the bass?
How do you work on the bass generally? Lot of editing/chopping? Autotuning? Add sub?
Sorry for the out topic, but I think both Metaltastic, other members and I would benefit from your help getting the lows right, even if metalstatic mix is actually better than mine!
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ola Englund
Only gay in the village

Awesome marcus! sounds really good...

Youtube
Facebook

Old March 17th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

Haven't listened all the way full, but the bass is definitely too low and there's a lot of work needed in the drum programming + vocal production dept.

The tunes are really cool and have a lot of potential, hope you work on these more and release them with something later.

Gtr tone is pretty fucking beastly, you need to get another Recto and start reamping asap!
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
blackbird
Toltec

Great guitar sound Marcus!
Love the solos = great playing!
Thanks for sharing it
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
ATLA

really diggin this marcus! you should write a book on how to "smooth shred" haha
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
Jarkko Mattheiszen
The FU guy.

Listening to The Hedonist right now and I'm loving it. Reminds me a lot of some of the older Gothenburg stuff which originally got me back to metal

WWW - FACEBOOK
Recording - Mixing - Mastering
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
AudioPhile777
Mathew Cohen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTD View Post
... the bass is definitely too low and there's a lot of work needed in the drum programming + vocal production dept.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTD View Post
I don't understand lesbians. I mean I understand lesbians, but I don't understand why virtually every dude is into them. I don't like watching videos of cheeseburgers eat each other - on their own, they're delicious, but once they start eating each other, neither is useful to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahjteam View Post
...its fucking HARD to do as simple stuff as he does and still make it groove like a moose.
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
Keregioz
Kimon Zeliotis

That's some pretty cool riffing and great playing! Your solos are awesome too, although a bit short. The other two guest solos are great too! I feel like Felix's gets lost in the mix though, maybe try panning a little more towards the center?
+1 on the bass being too low.

facebook|bandcamp|itunes|spotify|amazon
For fans of scar symmetry, symphony x, nevermore, soilwork, dream theater, evergrey etc.

Last edited by Keregioz : March 17th, 2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
John_C
formerly Skeksis268

Abaddon as in Abaddon the despoiler, warmaster captain of the black legion?

cool stuff, vocals remind me Johan Hegg. In fact the whole thing makes me think, imagine if Amon Amarth had started in the 80s

Last edited by John_C : March 17th, 2010 at 05:43 AM.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
Harry Hughes
  ‬‬

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingthesound View Post
Ermz, I was listening to your myspace one more time (love to listen to your work) to compare your work on the lows, and F****! How do you manage this? Really, that's my main problem on my mixes, giving lows some consistency.
Do you put kick lower than bass or the other way?
it depend a lot of the tuning I know, I work with low B tuning, so around 61Hz, what should I do? Cutting around 61 Hz the bass, keep the kick below, or let the bass with a filter at 40Hz and make a hole (where?) to let the kick in the middle of the bass?
How do you work on the bass generally? Lot of editing/chopping? Autotuning? Add sub?
Sorry for the out topic, but I think both Metaltastic, other members and I would benefit from your help getting the lows right, even if metalstatic mix is actually better than mine!
Having his Event Opals, a well treated room and a good set of ears is a start in the right direction

Old March 17th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #17 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Waaaahh just downloading!

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
ParsonsMatt
Alas, Tyranny

Downloading, gonna put on my mp3 player and listen to on the way to work!

Guitars: Edwards E-FR-120GT (EMG 89/89), Carvin DC727 (X2N/Liquifire), Yamaha LS6
Amps: Mesa/Boogie Mark III, Mesa/Boogie Rectifier cabinet
Mics: Shure SM7b, Shure SM57, Shure SM81
Other: Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, M-Audio KeyRig 49e
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:38 AM   #19 (permalink)
Felix Neumann

Okay so far I have listened to "Architect of fate", I really diggin this song! The rythm guitar is absolutely perfect, playing wise and sound wise. Your solo is totally win, but my solo is much too quiet (as far I can be objective enough about it).

Youīll get some more feedback in the next days, dude! Great work

MACHINES & MADNESS
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Dalinkwent48@aim.com
Be Creative, Get Laid

Sounds pretty fuckin sweet...I do agree though bass is a little low but aside of that this is some cool shit

Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethSE View Post
stupid gareth doesnt afraid of anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectar-and-Fuel View Post
i used a 4:1 ratio on the faggotry/awesome control and then twisted the remaining knobs so they looked like a chicken-headed nigger nugget
Old March 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
findingthesound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
Having his Event Opals, a well treated room and a good set of ears is a start in the right direction
That's for sure!

Besides, my room is now treated, have some good stuff (lynx converters, preamps...), just waiting for my pair of MM35!
For the ears...surely need some training but begin to see how the whole mixing thing is working (maybe near the end of the "Ermz circle"!).

But really, I think that getting this kind of lows need some usual techs, but wisely used! Hence my questions.
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
MikaŽl-ange

Just listened one song on my lapstop speaker so I didn't want write anything sound related right now... But I dig songwriting and playing, well done (as usual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Fricker View Post
....maybe I should go buy an amp sim.....
--------------------------------------
Want move a thread to necrothread list?
PM me, I will post on it and nobody will ever reply again!!!
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #23 (permalink)
Norris-wf

These are awesome. I love the solos! Great playing as always Marcus, It's definitely your style. Parts of the volcalsa really remind me of Devildriver. Awesome stuff
Old March 17th, 2010, 07:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
SocialNumb
Damn Christians!

I like it a lot. Some old school chugging vibes in there. Love the ending of "Architect of Fate" caught me by surprise. I'm digging "Forever Bound" the most. Specially 2:36ish on. The singer sounds good imo, for some reason I thought it was going to be that "gay" soaring vocal style from the 80's which would have ruined everything. Good work overall dude.

Thanks!
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
im a pro audio janitor i clean up shit, and polish turds and i hate it
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
bigsargeshameless

skeksis268- The Chaos gods of the Warhammer 40k canon were a very big influence on my writing. Abaddon is also the name of an ancient sumerian god of destruction. (I think at least, it's been a while since I researched it.) Each song is based loosely off one of the four gods of chaos. So, I guess that makes me a total nerd.