Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
-Noodles-
3 Initals Mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Well, at the end of the day even the worst abortion that crosses a reviewer's table still has more artistic merit than the accumulated body of reviews he will do over his entire life.

It's a job where someone prolifically passes judgment, driven by highly subjective criteria, with no qualifications or insight into the subject being explored beyond their hobbyism.

If I were in Meshuggah I'd be pissed off. Then again if I were in Meshuggah I'd be too awesome to even give a shit, and instead just spend more time really djenting out.
I've saved this post offline, as it is one of the finest pieces work literature I've ever read on this forum. I'm also going to pass it along so my 'friends' who think they're journos and ask ME how to describe a band so they can catalogue it into a genre.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:15 AM   #27 (permalink)
Meelad360

What bothers me the most is all the Riemann Sums behind him...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #28 (permalink)
bogchop
Stiff Member

He never created it, simply took it and finger banged it into submission. Then everyone else wanted a turn.

Yep.
Old March 29th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Ronixis
Rocket surgeon

Quote:
Misha Mansoor and Periphery single-handedly created the progressive djent rock revolution
This is what the the article says. It's a fact that there wouldn't be million fanboy djent projects and bands today, if it weren't for the efforts of Bulb and Periphery. Opinion on that being a good or bad thing is obviously subjective. I'm just trying to point out that the article isn't stating that Periphery was the founder of djent. You know, Che Guevara was a pivotal character in the Cuban revolution, but he certainly didn't found Cuba. Exactly the same case as in this article.

Full stems for one of my songs here
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
coreysMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermz View Post
Well, at the end of the day even the worst abortion that crosses a reviewer's table still has more artistic merit than the accumulated body of reviews he will do over his entire life.

It's a job where someone prolifically passes judgment, driven by highly subjective criteria, with no qualifications or insight into the subject being explored beyond their hobbyism.
Is your name Anton Egon by any chance? ;p
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #31 (permalink)
wutzington
massive member

Sad that a new sound in heavy metal is getting bashed so much. I think djent will be a big influence on future bands. It's much more interesting than to listen to even more metalcore bands or numetal bands. Always happy for new stuff.

Everyone on the forum should check their posts for grumpy old man ramblings before hitting submit.
Skeletor
Destructor
Andy Sneaptor
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
GarethSE
Banned

Misha is a fucking sellout.
</grumble>

Bring back the days of soundclick and the guy playing in his bedroom at 4am purely because it made him happy.
Now I get to see his mug plastered all over every music magazine in existence.

The only "djent" album worth mentioning is Meshuggah's Catch Thirty-Three anyhow, and I'm not sure I'd ever refer to it as djent outside of this post because it transcended that bullshit "genre" and all its gimmicky trappings about a thousand times over.
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #33 (permalink)
abigor731

somehow this really doesn't annoy me at all,
while its certainly not true that bulb invented the muisic style called djent all by himself, people make generalisations like that all the time
death invented death metal, slayer invented thrash metal, venom invented black metal, ... people also say hendrix invented rock, and old blues listeners get offended hahaha

Last edited by abigor731 : March 29th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
phatfil

am i the only one who doesn't read that the same way? to me, the writer is saying that they created the 'revolution' not the music style, genre, whatever.
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #35 (permalink)
Harry Hughes
  ‬‬

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutzington View Post
Sad that a new sound in heavy metal is getting bashed so much. I think djent will be a big influence on future bands. It's much more interesting than to listen to even more metalcore bands or numetal bands. Always happy for new stuff.

Everyone on the forum should check their posts for grumpy old man ramblings before hitting submit.
Djent seems like it's good in theory.
I've never liked stuff like glam and hair metal, all that image based crap, just really watered down garbage metal really.
Really liked how thrash metal and death metal were the total anti-thesis of that. More about pushing boundaries, than just playing it safe with catchy pop choruses that even the most stupid people could relate too.
It seems like in theory, djent should be the total anti-thesis of all that gay 'eye liner-core' style metalcore with the stupidly tight jeans and gay hair, being more concerned about the image and competing for title of "Who has the most testicle constricting jeans?" than actually practicing and improving on your instrument and style.

But the actual execution of djent means that in practice, it just fails anyway.
Somehow that irritating commercialization made it into the genre, so instead of being something about pushing forward and exploring new ground, it's just become a genre where everyone has to have the same kind of guitar, the same kind of amplification (a modeler, typically).
Every kid wants the 'djent' sound. They don't want their own sound, they want what Bulb has or whatever.

It seems like as society becomes more homogenized in general, that when 'new' sounds do come along, they become homogenized sounding way more quickly than ever before.
Until we can get the young generation to understand that and to wake the fuck up, I sure as hell don't see a very good future for 'djent' as far actual creativity and artists finding their own sound goes.
This so called 'revolution' has pretty much stagnated and is on its last legs before it even begun.

Old March 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #36 (permalink)
Loren Littlejohn
Lover of all boobage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersyntax View Post
Ok, so he might have coined the phrase "djent", but he didn't create this style of music.
+1
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
53Crw

I'm with a couple other guys on this... The article gives him credit for the Djent REVOLUTION. Where do they make any claims that he created a genre?
Old March 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #38 (permalink)
colton

I think it was Fredrik who actually coined the term. Bulb just made it popular.
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #39 (permalink)
Torniojaws
They call me Juha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo333 View Post
but Sepultura's Chaos AD album was groundbreaking in it's use of Downtuned riffing (Low at the time) use of "noise" and "discordant" intervals as a melodic device in place of a solo -

Morbid Angel also popularised the 7 string sound ... "Where the slime live.." heavy ass riffing!!! years before the whole "downtuned" thing came to the fore.
Black Sabbath, anyone? C# tuning anno 1971 with Master of Reality And if I remember, there was also some other hippie group that had very low tunings and distortion too, maybe in late 60's?

VortechMusic.com - Recording a new album! Due late 2014/early 2015
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #40 (permalink)
John_C
formerly Skeksis268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelad360 View Post
What bothers me the most is all the Riemann Sums behind him...
haha me too....

Seriously, if people spent more time trying to be creative and less time worrying about what to call what other people have created, we've have more original and interesting music
Mixing
Session guitar and bass playing
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #41 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hughes View Post
...the total anti-thesis of all that gay 'eye liner-core' style metalcore with the stupidly tight jeans and gay hair, being more concerned about the image and competing for title of "Who has the most testicle constricting jeans?" than actually practicing and improving on your instrument and style.
I really like tight jeans. very much. I do not like core or eyeliner. have you ever tried to wear one of those? It's like everything sits perfect. awesome stuff.

About that Misha thing.... I think a lot of people are jealous. Really. He fucking deserves it. I don't like his music since they have a vocalist but thats another thing. I would sign those contracts, too. I mean... I would do the exact same thing in his position. Okay, the toontrack-presets are really shit and maybe some of you think he's a bad producer because everything he does sounds the same. But it works.

Blastbeat Productions
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
phatfil

here's a link to an interview in which Misha (and Veil of Maya guitarist, Marc) talk about the origin of the word.

http://www.guitarmessenger.com/inter...ery-interview/

at about 3/4 of the way through...

"MM: Then there’s this Djent thing…
MO: That’s all you, man. [laughs]
MM: I get blamed for this. I didn’t even come up with the word. I’ve said this a million times, but Fredrik from Meshuggah came up with it. I used to post on the Meshuggah forum, and that’s where I picked up the word – people were describing guitar tone. It’s just a palm mute that you pick really hard, and I really like the way it sounds. It sounds metallic – it’s like: ‘Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent!’
MO: Is that the one where they stack the power chords with four notes?
MM: Yeah, where you play four notes on the power chord. [link to video lesson here]
MO: I remember reading that now.
MM: That’s where the term originated. I was looking for gear that was djenty. I was like: ‘Are these pickups djenty?’ For some reason it caught on, but completely in the wrong way, because people think it’s a style of music and they think it’s a style of music I play. There’s a misconception, because low-tuned open-note syncopated riffs are now called djent riffs, even though it has nothing to do with it. A lot of djent bands don’t even play that djent chord or even do that sound, so it’s very ironic how that worked out.
MO: You just blew my mind right there, I just had a vivid memory – you know None by Meshuggah, that EP? It has a song that’s like: ‘Da-da-duy-da-da-duy-da! Da-da!’ There’s one part that’s like: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ He’s playing a guitar solo over it, and it sounds like he’s saying ‘djent.’
MM: Do you know the song ‘Aztec Two-Step?’
MO: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [laughs]
MM: It’s like: ‘Listen. DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [To audience] Do you want to hear what djent actually is? That is what it actually is.
MO: [To audience] Get None by Meshuggah right now. [pretty sure he means 'Nothing']
MM: Which you should have anyway, if you have a pair of ears and a soul."

Last edited by phatfil : March 29th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
RLab

Quote:
I really like tight jeans. very much. I do not like core or eyeliner. have you ever tried to wear one of those? It's like everything sits perfect. awesome stuff.
I agree, tight jeans are great (Maybe a bit OT...)
Honestly. If I hear "Why are you wasting time double tracking the guitars when you can just copy one track and delay it a little? That's like really basic stuff." one more time I'm going to strangle someone. Probably with the broken guitar cable they brought.
Follow me on Twitter or add me on Facebook !
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
462studio
462 Studio

This is conflicting, because I'm posting just to say I don't care.

I care enough to post I don't care. Moving right along.
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #45 (permalink)
FIXXXER
\(_o)/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubersyntax View Post
"a slight boost around 800hz for clarity"

...and i always thought this was a "mud area"!
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:42 PM   #46 (permalink)
cyril_v
♪-♫-♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfil View Post
here's a link to an interview in which Misha (and Veil of Maya guitarist, Marc) talk about the origin of the word.

http://www.guitarmessenger.com/inter...ery-interview/

at about 3/4 of the way through...

"MM: Then there’s this Djent thing…
MO: That’s all you, man. [laughs]
MM: I get blamed for this. I didn’t even come up with the word. I’ve said this a million times, but Fredrik from Meshuggah came up with it. I used to post on the Meshuggah forum, and that’s where I picked up the word – people were describing guitar tone. It’s just a palm mute that you pick really hard, and I really like the way it sounds. It sounds metallic – it’s like: ‘Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent! Djent!’
MO: Is that the one where they stack the power chords with four notes?
MM: Yeah, where you play four notes on the power chord. [link to video lesson here]
MO: I remember reading that now.
MM: That’s where the term originated. I was looking for gear that was djenty. I was like: ‘Are these pickups djenty?’ For some reason it caught on, but completely in the wrong way, because people think it’s a style of music and they think it’s a style of music I play. There’s a misconception, because low-tuned open-note syncopated riffs are now called djent riffs, even though it has nothing to do with it. A lot of djent bands don’t even play that djent chord or even do that sound, so it’s very ironic how that worked out.
MO: You just blew my mind right there, I just had a vivid memory – you know None by Meshuggah, that EP? It has a song that’s like: ‘Da-da-duy-da-da-duy-da! Da-da!’ There’s one part that’s like: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ He’s playing a guitar solo over it, and it sounds like he’s saying ‘djent.’
MM: Do you know the song ‘Aztec Two-Step?’
MO: ‘DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [laughs]
MM: It’s like: ‘Listen. DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!DJENT!’ [To audience] Do you want to hear what djent actually is? That is what it actually is.
MO: [To audience] Get None by Meshuggah right now. [pretty sure he means 'Nothing']
MM: Which you should have anyway, if you have a pair of ears and a soul."
Meshuggah - NoneMeshuggah - None

Last edited by cyril_v : March 29th, 2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #47 (permalink)
GarethSE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torniojaws View Post
And if I remember, there was also some other hippie group that had very low tunings and distortion too, maybe in late 60's?
It was always the hippy groups man.
All the guys taking a shitload of acid and smoking a ton of weed and going off on one for an hour, getting lost in the music and doing it for the love of pure creativity, that's a beautiful thing.
Djent gives me none of that feeling anymore. Totally fucking watered down nonsense for the kids that are too scared to imbibe something of questionable legality and (shock horror) put the settings on their amp to something that their favourite musician isn't currently using..
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #48 (permalink)
dcb
nerd

meshuggah, meshuggah, meshuggah.
thats all im gonna say here.
mesh - fuckin - shugar.

also a huge + 1 to ermz post.
Old March 29th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #49 (permalink)
phatfil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril_v View Post
ah, sorry. wrong about that one. thanks man.
Old March 29th, 2011, 09:18 PM   #50 (permalink)
Benny H
Degenerate

GODS OF RAPTURE