Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 5th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Manicompression
doing it for the kids

Nymphetamine - Cradle of Filth guitar sound

I dont really care much for COF, but i was sitting around crushing beers with my buddy when he put on the record nymphetamine. I think the guitar sound / mix on this record is incredible. I see that Colin mixed it, however after much googling that is about all i can seem to find out about it. It sounds different than alot of the guitar tones ive heard him get. Does anyone know anything at all about this? What guitars, amps, mics..... anything at all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 6th, 2012, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
DanLights
A Venezuelan in Europe

Sorry, I have no idea, but if you like the mix on Nymphetamine you should honestly check out Damnation and A Day, IMO it´s a better mix (Nymph was released not even a year after DaaD, to me it sounds rushed and uninteresting in general) and in my books a perfect mix, almost any metal band would benefit from a mix as heavy and crystal clear as that one, plus the orchestrations and choir mix so well with everything else and is used in a very interesting and not boring/cliché way.

http://www.facebook.com/adintra

Weekly Favorites - Currently Listening
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
reneisgod
Cnocantursa

Nymphetamine;
VHT Pitbull

Thornography;
Krank Krankenstein, Mesa cab v30, sm57.

Cruelty;
6505 with a ts9 boost, marshall 1960 (g12 75)

The top 2 may be the other way around;

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/inter...the_style.html

Paul states in this interview that thornography was the pitbull but Andy sneap says it was a Krankenstein, so....@:&*?????? Id go with what Andy says here tbh.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/s...dle-filth.html

to my ears Nymphetamine screams Krank!

I can only guess Paul tracked through a Pitbull on Thornography and sneap later reamped it during mixing via the Krank.

Last edited by reneisgod : March 6th, 2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
JeffTD
Senhor Testiculo

Thornography is definitely a Krank to my ears. I'd put money on Sneap having reamped that one.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Manicompression
doing it for the kids

Badass, I saw Helmet a while back and Page was using a Pitbull. Sounded awesome. Those have Kt88s right? Any ideas as to other parts of the recorded signal chain? At Dan, Ive been told that other COF records were better and intend to look into it, but the guitar tone on nymphetamine is just really thick sounding and different from what ive heard from Andy and Colin in the past. Its always a sacrifice though when you shoot for such a thick low mid sound in guitars because invariably other elements start to suffer or struggle to be heard....
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #6 (permalink)
reneisgod
Cnocantursa

yeah its defo the Krank on Thornograhy, no idea what Paul is talking about
in that intervew, possibly endorsed by VHT at the time and couldnt mention Krank?
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
reneisgod
Cnocantursa

''Badass, I saw Helmet a while back and Page was using a Pitbull. Sounded awesome. Those have Kt88s right? Any ideas as to other parts of the recorded signal chain? At Dan, Ive been told that other COF records were better and intend to look into it, but the guitar tone on nymphetamine is just really thick sounding and different from what ive heard from Andy and Colin in the past. Its always a sacrifice though when you shoot for such a thick low mid sound in guitars because invariably other elements start to suffer or struggle to be heard....''

dude dispite Paul claiming its a VHT on Nymphetamine id place money that its infact a Krank, the tone on Nymphetamine has that Krank signature mid range written all over it.
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Seizure.

Im at the mastersoundstudio's as we speak, were liv recorded her vox for the song, and i believe Alex should know about this, i'll ask in a second
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Mattayus
Sir Groove-A-Lot

I've known James (McIlroy) as an online mate for a few years now, I just asked him since he was on this album before leaving, and then rejoining again for the latest album.

He says:

"- Marshall DSL
- Soldano something, either an Avenger a Slo, or something, can't remember.
- Possibly a VHT Pitbull, but i think we blew it up.

Pretty much just that through a normal marshall cab with sm57, and a 70's cab with g12h30's and a condensor."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino655 View Post
they should have named the album "shit sandwich"
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel kurtz View Post
not possible...that would imply that the shit is surrounded by something that's not shit
Old March 7th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Manicompression
doing it for the kids

Awesome Mattayus, so just a good blend it seems, always hard to know what really ends up on the final product. At Seizure, it would be cool if someone down there knows for sure. Thanks to all though, this thread has already proved super informative.
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Paulie!
¯\(°_o)/¯ How Do Trigger?

I'm going to agree with Dan, Damnation (in my opinion) is the best sounding album Cradle has ever put out..

Nymphetamine was decent but it didn't have that "every song is great" thing that Damnation had going for it..
Also, not a fan of Thornography.. But I could listen to Damnation and a Day on friggin' repeat.

I have the Damnation Making Of DVD, I need to look at the guitar tracking part more closely later...

TITUS - Progressive Death - Vocals

Check us out!
Reverbnation

Facebook

Bandcamp - TITUS [EP] Now Available

Twitter: @thebandTITUS