Andy Sneap & Backstage Productions  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Heavy Metal Forums > Andy Sneap
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Andy Sneap Only Sneap related posts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
colonel_claypoo

How'd you acquire your studio/recording room?

hey all,

basically I'd like to move away from guerrilla recording, i.e. schlepping equipment to band's rehearsal space and recording there, and towards having a room where I can permanently store my equiment.

how did you go about finding a room and how do you rent it?
on a consistent basis or hourly?

I'm thankful for any tips to hlp me get started.

thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Loren Littlejohn
Lover of all boobage.

I bought a house.
Old April 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
colonel_claypoo

I guess that's more common in the U.S. and unfortunately that's not an option for me right now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
Loren Littlejohn
Lover of all boobage.

Yeah that sucks. Prior to that I was in a duplex (a house split into 2 apartments). The downstairs neighbor was a fucking drugged out drummer so noise wasn't an issue both ways as long as times were respected.

He was a fucking loser though and didn't ever bother to respect the times I asked him to shut the fuck up. My hours were always noon-9pm and usually I wanted anything loud to be done at 8.

Major exception to the rule though. When I was living in the midwest I had some cunt that got her pubes in a knot whenever we did ANYTHING.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Uros
Sonic Incision

Rent a space and treat it or get some sort of deal with a local studio(s), and work from there.
Old April 15th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Sloan
Sounds like shit!

My grandma had Alzheimer's and it got really bad so my mom, brother, and I moved in to help out. Her condition got to the point where she was endangering herself by wondering outside (we live right on the highway). So we had an additional room built that was like an apartment and hired a caretaker to be there while we all worked etc... She eventually passed away in 2000 n I now use that room for studio/rehearsal space.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Revson

I'm in an industrial warehouse space. Someone built out the inside into several rooms a long time ago to turn it into a rehearsal space for bands. After a while of only my band being there I made a deal with ten to take over the whole space.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
colonel_claypoo

interesting to hear how you all got to it.
maybe I should start looking around in my area but space is rare here.
picking out locations and asking the owner out of the blue if I can rent some storage place to make loud noise in it
would be a bit weird I guess. there's not much in the paper's either. it's not easy.

I like Uros's idea of asking other recording studios to rent out their space but as far as I have seen studios that do it
it's pretty expensive.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jarkko Mattheiszen
The FU guy.

We have tons of real estate portal websites that list only commercial spaces. I'm sure there are similar ones in Germany?

WWW - FACEBOOK
Recording - Mixing - Mastering
Old April 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
AdamWathan

I also bought a house, haha...
Old April 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
dcb
nerd

finding something in germany (at least here in hamburg) took me 5 years of intense searching...
now im moving in a studio complex, with 4 studios, one of them 100m² with the best equipment you could ever imagine,
but i was really lucky and asked at the right time if they had room for me... my advice would be, ask local
studios if they have something for you, maybe share with them... lot of studios cant afford to rent a huge space
alone..
Old April 16th, 2012, 12:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
AllanD
boom tap boom-boom tap

My dad is a carpenter and has a huge shop warehouse type thing where I record drums/reamp. Guitars, bass, vocals, and whatever else are tracked here in my apartment.
Old April 16th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jind
Grrrr!!! (I'm a bear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
I also bought a house, haha...
It's always easier when your wife also has her own woman cave when you mention your turning one of the spare rooms into your studio.

+3
Guitars/Amps: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Fender American Standard Telecaster, Egnater Tweaker Head & Matching Cab w/ Celestion G12H-30, Digitech RP1000, Various Pedals
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
colonel_claypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
finding something in germany (at least here in hamburg) took me 5 years of intense searching...
now im moving in a studio complex, with 4 studios, one of them 100m² with the best equipment you could ever imagine,
but i was really lucky and asked at the right time if they had room for me... my advice would be, ask local
studios if they have something for you, maybe share with them... lot of studios cant afford to rent a huge space
alone..
hmm, I always think studios wouldn't to that because they fear competition?
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
brianhood
No Care Ever

Found mine on craigslist.com

www.456recordings.com

six figure home studio blog

blog.456recordings.com

My Snare Samples

www.drumtrunk.com
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Genius Gone Insane
http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_claypoo View Post
hey all,

basically I'd like to move away from guerrilla recording, i.e. schlepping equipment to band's rehearsal space and recording there, and towards having a room where I can permanently store my equiment.

how did you go about finding a room and how do you rent it?
on a consistent basis or hourly?

I'm thankful for any tips to hlp me get started.

thanks.
Guerrilla recording is what I do
Old April 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #17 (permalink)
heshian46

Also bought a house.
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Pekka Posio
Mr. Pussy 'O

I have been also guerilla recording for few years now, mainly in my bands rehearsal space (which is although 40m2), but last year I have been trying to find a good recording room... I don't want to spend huge amounts of money to make acoustic treatments into a sub par room, but good places cost a ton of money...

Is there any Helsinki/Finland based sneapsters who wanna rent/buy/build together an awesome studiospace??
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #19 (permalink)
CameronHarris

I moved back in with my parents.

Sounds lame (and can be at times), but I save a fuck load of money and have a room for my studio gear.
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
my advice would be, ask local
alone..
I second that! Isn't easy to find something in Kiel either. But there aren't other studio that I could ask to share so I'm looking out for something with a friend to share!

Blastbeat Productions
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #21 (permalink)
StefTD

In Germany, I would either look on the main sites for real estate stuff like immoscout, most of them offer
places to work at, too (gewerblich ) maybe you could find something there or do the following stuff:

Um mal kurz was auf deutsch zu schreiben:
Also in Stuttgart gibt es z.B. auch ein paar relativ große Häuser in denen Werbeagenturen usw. drin sind,
teilweise noch Proberäume usw. die immer 2,3 leere Kellerräume haben und froh drum wären die zu vermieten.
War z.B. bei einer Agentur bei der ich mal gearbeitet habe so, oben waren ein paar Agenturen drin, kleine
Softwareunternehmen usw., alles eher in nem Industriegebiet (aber mit guter Anbindung).
Da gab es sicher 10 Kellerräume die eigentlich nur leerstanden, 2-3 wurden schon als Proberäume vermietet,
sollte also auch mit nem Studio kein Problem sein, wurden halt als Proberäume genutzt damit zumindest ein
bisschen Kohle an Miete reinkommt.

Ansonsten kannst du teilweise auch mit Jugendhäusern reden, hat ein guter Freund von mir gemacht, hat
zwei alte Abstellräume gekriegt, insgesamt knapp 60m², zahlt verdammt wenig Miete, Bands die durchs Jugendhaus
kommen kriegen 15% Rabatt und es läuft recht gut, manchmal macht er noch den FOH Kram fürs Jugendhaus,
somit sind alle froh
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
dcb
nerd

ums kurz auf deutsch weiterzuführen (sorry for the german)
aber heute freuen sich gerade ältere studioleute (also leute, dei vlt in den 70ern ihre komplexe gebaut haben)
über mit-mieter , weil isch das einfach nicht mehr rentiert...
ich würds zumindest mal ausprobieren, generell finde ichs auch immer wichtig, eher die szene in deiner umgebung zu kennen,
uns sich auf ein bierchen zu treffen. das ist auf dauer viel besser, als wenn sich alle bekämpfen. hier in hamburg
versuche ich derzeit auch alle producer, mischer zusammenzubringen, das man sich auch mal austauscht.
wenn du irgendwelche studios in der nähe hast, frag doch einfach mal nach. manche sind halt arschlöcher,
aber manche auch total nett !
Old April 17th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #23 (permalink)
Emdprodukt
Member of Dude Castle 69

Das Problem mit Kellern ist in der Regel die Deckenhöhe. Hab mich dahingehend auch schon umgeguckt. Ich arbeite für die Stadt Kiel in 'nem Jugendtreff und da unter zu kommen ist... schwierig, da die Räumlichkeiten halt dann auch für pädagogische Zwecke bereitgestellt werden müssen - und das will ich schlichtweg nicht. In Kiel gibt es keine "wirklichen" Studios, in die ich mich einzecken könnte... leider

Blastbeat Productions
Old April 17th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #24 (permalink)
chrisrivalry

Cut it out ya damn barbarians!
Old April 17th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #25 (permalink)
Uros
Sonic Incision

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhood View Post
Found mine on craigslist.com
You have also found something else on craiglist.com