Anthrax  

Go Back   Ultimate Metal Forum > Official Metal Band Forums > Anthrax
Register FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
kirkland

Best metal album of the year so far...

Soulfly - Enslaved.

Fucking stunning. Max is back. For any of those that think Max has gone Nu Metal or lost his voice, etc etc this album is a big middle finger to all of those people.

This is a very heavy, complex, brilliant metal album which is hard to do in 2012.

Definitely the heaviest album Max has done since Beneath The Remains

It's not only just heavy it is flat out good, well written, great musicianship etc.

I have had it on auto repeat for the past 10 hours and counting.

If you are an old Sepultura fan you are going to really enjoy this one.

The last album Omen was boring to me. This one is mind blowing. They have a new bass player and drummer and it brought new life to this band

8.5/10

Can't give it 10/10 because Beneath the Remains is 10/10 Arise is 9.5/10 Chaos AD is 9/10. But it's right there. Roots was 5/10

2:48 makes me want to go out and kill people

0:56 that classical guitar mixed with the heavy guitar is fuckin amazing

Last edited by kirkland : March 13th, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Social Distortion
The Voice of Reason

Please don't go out and kill people. Think of the children!
Old March 13th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
What Doesnt Die

Biohazard - Reborn in Defiance

Yet to get the latest offerings from Soulfly, Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse though
Old March 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
jamesr7790

I think this post was made a little too soon considering we have new Testament, Overkill, Kreator, and Fear Factory albums just around the corner. I don't see the new Soulfly being better than ANY of these but we will see. However, I do look forward to hearing Enslaved all the way through to see how it compares to that last CC album.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
kirkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr7790 View Post
I think this post was made a little too soon considering we have new Testament, Overkill, Kreator, and Fear Factory albums just around the corner. I don't see the new Soulfly being better than ANY of these but we will see. However, I do look forward to hearing Enslaved all the way through to see how it compares to that last CC album.
Well for one I said so far. It's 10 times better than the last Cavalera Conspiracy album. It's hard to compare Soulfly (Sepultura), to Overkill which is a totally different band. Fear Factory we'll see and I can't wait for Testament. All different types of metal and I look forward to all of them.

But as a long time Max fan since the Beneath The Remains days I can say Enslaved is the best he's done since that era.

You need to listen to it a few times through in a good stereo system to really get it. Give it some time other than just skimming through it on your laptop.

I can't wait to see this shit performed live it's intense!
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
kirkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Doesnt Die View Post
Biohazard - Reborn in Defiance

Yet to get the latest offerings from Soulfly, Napalm Death and Cannibal Corpse though
I have been a fan of Biohazard since their first S/T album. I wore that tape out back in the day. Then they came out with Urban Discipline and got a lot of exposure etc. Those albums were classics. I didn't like State of the World Address much but loved Mata Leo.

I am not too big on Reborn Defiance. It's not bad but just doesn't relate to me like the earlier Biohazard albums.

I have the new Napalm Death it is really good. The new Cannibal Corpse is pretty good. It sounds almost identical to the past 3 studio albums. Nothing new or innovative but good if you like the fisher era Cannibal Corpse style.

I like this Soulfly album more than those releases though as it's got a new sound and energy to it that will surely rejuvenate this band and gain the respect from some of those stubborn old Sepultura fans that never gave Soulfly a chance.
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
DumbAss
Supreme Ruler of the Sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr7790 View Post
I think this post was made a little too soon considering we have new Testament, Overkill, Kreator, and Fear Factory albums just around the corner...
and Gojira
and Meshuggah
and Cancer Bats

- Great moments in Facepalm History -
"Forgive me, but Wolfmother, you suck!"
Mike Patton
Old March 13th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Anthrax_Mosher
True Fan

Soulfly is playing near me on the 24th..

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
kirkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax_Mosher View Post
Soulfly is playing near me on the 24th..
I am going to go out to the San Diego show on the 22nd. I love downtown San Diego one of my favorite places in the world. The new Soulfly is stunning. I have not stopped listening to it since I got it. I can't wait to see these new songs live. It's almost like a new Sepultura album circa 1990. This is something that could have easily came out after Beneath The Remains. This will certainly be one of the top metal releases of the year no question.
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
timmyc

Yep have to agree......listened to new Soulfly twice so far all way through and it's great. The other new record so far this year that I love is LoG's Resolution.
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
aliasp
Old School since '86

Great to hear about the new Soulfly. I am with Kirkland on the verdict on Omen (was way too boring). Looking forward to hearing the new album.
Old March 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Social Distortion
The Voice of Reason

I'm looking forward to new Gojira the most. The best "new" metal band out there imo.
Old March 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
Alteredmindeath
Pathfinder Chronicler

I became a fan of Soulfly when they went Thrashy with the 3rd album I think it was. The last record was Kornish, now after all the criticism Max got from that last record he has returned to the brutal thrashy elements. Good to hear that, and I'll have to pick this up.... It helps that they have a technical death metal drummer now.

No way does ROOTS deserve a 5! It's a Sepultura album no doubt.

Last edited by Alteredmindeath : March 14th, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
kirkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alteredmindeath View Post
I became a fan of Soulfly when they went Thrashy with the 3rd album I think it was. The last record was Kornish, now after all the criticism Max got from that last record he has returned to the brutal thrashy elements. Good to hear that, and I'll have to pick this up.... It helps that they have a technical death metal drummer now.

No way does ROOTS deserve a 5! It's a Sepultura album no doubt.
There was NOTHING Korn-ish on the last album Omen. It was heavy as fuck just seemed a bit uninspired and boring.

I don't like Roots, that was the KORN-ish album you must be speaking of.
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
aliasp
Old School since '86

Personally I think Dark Ages is Soulfly's best album. Whilst the previous albums all had great songs I found them very hit and miss. But I found Dark Ages to be the most consistent and solid.
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Alteredmindeath
Pathfinder Chronicler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
There was NOTHING Korn-ish on the last album Omen. It was heavy as fuck just seemed a bit uninspired and boring.

I don't like Roots, that was the KORN-ish album you must be speaking of.

I guess that's a matter of opinion isn't it?
Old March 19th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Stormwatch
Cock.

Damn, I was hoping Enslaved had a new album out when I saw this!
Old March 25th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #18 (permalink)
Anthrax_Mosher
True Fan

Quote:
I am going to go out to the San Diego show on the 22nd. I love downtown San Diego one of my favorite places in the world. The new Soulfly is stunning. I have not stopped listening to it since I got it. I can't wait to see these new songs live. It's almost like a new Sepultura album circa 1990. This is something that could have easily came out after Beneath The Remains. This will certainly be one of the top metal releases of the year no question.
Did you go to the show still? I just got back from seein Windowpane/Soulfly/Five Finger Death Punch!

Old March 26th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
Anthrax_Mosher
True Fan

Soulfy from saturday night..

This live was HEAVY AS FUCK!!

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
kirkland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthrax_Mosher View Post
Did you go to the show still? I just got back from seein Windowpane/Soulfly/Five Finger Death Punch!
Nope I didn't make it. I got sick as fuck and was literally in bed for a solid week. I was so bummed out! I will definitely be going when they tour again as they are supposed to do an all Cavalera tour with his sons bands opening up.

How were they in Pamona? By the looks of those videos you posted they were awesome. Sepultura is back!
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Anthrax_Mosher
True Fan

Quote:
Nope I didn't make it. I got sick as fuck and was literally in bed for a solid week. I was so bummed out! I will definitely be going when they tour again as they are supposed to do an all Cavalera tour with his sons bands opening up.

How were they in Pamona? By the looks of those videos you posted they were awesome. Sepultura is back!
It was a good show, heavy as fuck live, place had about 2 pits going on the floor, had a balcony above, good show..

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #22 (permalink)
anomynous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Distortion View Post
I'm looking forward to new Gojira the most. The best "new" metal band out there imo.
Even having new in quotes is pushing it. Gojira's been around for 15+ years
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Miltbrand

Either:

Woods Of Ypres - Woods V
or
Altar Of Oblivion - Salvation EP

ěl, fisse og heavy metal!

Old March 30th, 2012, 11:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Thrashard
Whistler's father

Cannibal Corpse "Torture"
Overkill "The Electric Age"
looking forward to the new ones of Tourniquet, Mortification & Municipal Waste
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
Mikey-Bong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashard View Post
Overkill "The Electric Age"
Great album!

Mikey Bong @MikeyBong1